Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Eagles. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite simply, we’re West Coast’s bitches. We should have gone out tonight firing to avenge the GF narrow loss. Instead, we looked timid in the stoppages and our midfield was SMASHED. It also doesn’t help to miss easy chances.
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:33 pm

If I read another fan write that the umpires cost us the game, I’m going to lose my shit.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:

Yes, exactly right. I think the opposition teams are analysing closely how to suppress our midfield/ruck combo. Grundy played well tonight, but the connection with the midfield was stymied. I am starting to think that we need a dose of speed through the midfield, not brute force. I thought that where we lost the ball most in the midfield was that 50-50 balls, after the physical contest was equal, were then swooped on by the speed of WC mids.

Many thanks for your reply MTTM. So you think speed to the loose ball, assuming the wings are also in on the action by this point, is one answer?

I wonder which of our players you think could be primed for such a role? Treloar? Pendles by virtue of his skills? (Was he blocked out of it tonight? I can't remember him getting a clearance).
A popular argument on Nick's seems to be getting a big-bodied mid-fielder in there like Sier who can grab the ball just by virtue of his height and weight or someone like JDG, who is just a bull.
Oh, it's perplexing isn't it Very Happy
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:46 pm

Sensei Grundy wrote:
If I read another fan write that the umpires cost us the game, I’m going to lose my shit.

lose it , cos they sure contributed!!

how about the westcoast player taking out Adams when he was in the air? tunned him and he landed flat on his back, is that a legit move??? far more dangerous than cox last week.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:48 pm

Maybe the mids that are around the loose ball just need to have more of a defensive mind set than an attacking one - to stop the skilled and pacy mids of the opposition getting there first?
I recall several occasions this evening where the speedy, spreading Weagles mids seem to win it on the outside, more so than grabbing it out of the initial ruck play.
Maybe we can call up Swanny and ask him how he managed to get it out of the centre so often!! Smile
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:51 pm

think positive wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:

how about the westcoast player taking out Adams when he was in the air? tunned him and he landed flat on his back, is that a legit move??? far more dangerous than cox last week.

BS, TP. I thought you wanted an analysis. you are simply ranting irrationally. To go forward from this, we need to analyse objectively where we were not up to standard and therefore what we need to do to improve our performance next week. I am totally done with vituperation against umpires. Next week, who knows? They might favour us. Such is the nature of randomness.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:51 pm

DP
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:52 pm

think positive wrote:

Agree with this. They probably didn't cost us the game, as Weagles were very cohesive, but they sure put a halt to our momentum when we had it, with questionable decisions. Weagles didn't suffer in the same way.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:53 pm

Apologies .. double post.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:59 pm

MTTM, had to look up "vituperation" on Google!!! Good word Smile
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:03 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
think positive wrote:
Sensei Grundy wrote:

BS, TP. I thought you wanted an analysis. you are simply ranting irrationally. To go forward from this, we need to analyse objectively where we were not up to standard and therefore what we need to do to improve our performance next week. I am totally done with vituperation against umpires. Next week, who knows? They might favour us. Such is the nature of randomness.

My analy Is a page back, yes I’m ranting, because my hubbies eyes glaze over at the mention of AFL,

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 am

The Eagles deserved the win. There's no disputing that and it's evident they have the wood over us and trouble us the most out of any side (outside of the Hawks).

The hype around the midfield needs to stop. We have a good group of players in the middle but the ongoing criticism of them not running both ways has legitimacy. When they're on fire, they're one of the best group of mids going around but the question is whether they can lift during times of adversity.

I think what killed us was three things. Firstly, we were dominated in the centre clearances in the second quarter when the Eagles kicked six goals in the quarter and we couldn't seem to find an answer to curtail it. Secondly, the Eagles defensive structures choked our forward line structures so opportunities felt limited and difficult and the passage into the forward 50 lacked fluidity. Lastly, the Eagles dominate us aerially which is something they did last year and we haven't been able to find an answer in countering.

The smooth transition of ball in hand from last week didn't work this week. I think Magpietothemax is right to point out that we're trying to emulate the Eagles game style but we've yet to master it. It worked well against the Tigers, but it was ineffective this week. In the long run, I suspect we'll stick to that sort of game plan as we shift away from Richmond's tackling pressure game style and relying on the ball to hit the ground which can be effective but was countered by the Eagles game plan and is too taxing on the players.

With respect to the positives, Adams was our best midfielder of the night. Had a very good return game and took the game on at every opportunity. De Goey was considered quiet but still kicked 3 goals. One of these days, he's going to dominate and destroy a team.

1-2 isn't ideal, but we were in the same position this time last year so plenty of time to rectify things. The Eagles are the benchmark of the competition going forward. I think the hype around Geelong is overstated at this stage, but admittedly they haven't put a foot wrong so far this season.

Time to get back on track this Friday night against the Dogs.

Last edited by Jezza on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:40 am

We’ve lost 3 of our last 4 games, all against top caliber teams.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:51 am

To Jezza
I thought we did OK aerially. I thought actually that we clearly prepared big time for the aerial contest, but neglected the aspect of ground ball contest. They smashed us at ground level for the contested ball. We need to analyse that aspect of the game, and how it happened.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:56 am

Bucks' full press conference hasn't been uploaded yet so can't post a full transcript, so here's a summary of what he said.

Quote:
"They were cleaner inside when feeding back to Gaff. We stabilised that midway through he third term. I thought that they worked a lot harder inside and in contested situations around the ground".

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1114500219624800256

Quote:
"I don’t think the forward connection was a big ticket item tonight".

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1114500317326925827

Quote:
"There’s a lot of improvement from the performance tonight".

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1114500400546058240

Quote:
"When you get down to key moments in contests... the key 5 minute periods. I thought West Coast were better. It’s not easy to acknowledge that. I have no doubts in our capacity to respond".

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1114500755631661057

Bucks responding to Pies midfield grunt
Quote:
"We’ve got a great belief in our midfield. The trend would tell you that our midfield go okay in that area".

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1114501026743119873

Bucks on contact below the knees rule
Quote:
"There’s a lot of confusion around it. Stevo thought it was Flip’s free kick. I feel for the umpires. It’s a hard one to officiate".

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1114502811989860352

Bucks on our form
Quote:
"I thought we were terrible round one, but then Geelong have continued their form. We were very good last week and were there about today. We’ve got to fight for that improvement".

https://twitter.com/CollingwoodFC/status/1114503138034118656

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14   

Jump to: