Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 153, 154, 155  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell am I missing about McStay? The only player with less possessions for the night is Zorko, but he was subbed out after 6 minutes!! Can someone tell me (a) why we would be prepared to chase him and (b) why we would throw so much money his way to get him! Crazy
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:19 pm

I’m amazed they would consider him

I’m even more amazed Brisbane employs him

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 pm

There are plenty of State League players that could do what McStay does on $100,000 vs his rumored $600.000
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:04 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
Watching Brisbane's game today, I would definitely not consider McStay to be a desirable target. His efforts have appeared to be second rate today, while the rest of his team has been busting its a**. He hasn't been able to take any marks, and his ground level efforts have been less than ordinary.

What he is is a 100kg forward who can take a mark, who opens the forward line to the smaller forwards. In that regard he’s similar to Kreuger, only older, more experienced and less injured. I can see why we’re interested in him. Guys like Henry, McCreery and Bobby Hill (if we got him) won’t be afraid having McStay around the packs. Like everyone here saying it’s a high price to pay although what you pay is market value.

I think you’re the lone voice of reason. They are hard to come by and the really good ones will cost you an arm and a leg. I am inclined to trust the new list management crew on this one - even though I get the knee jerk reaction.

Last edited by piffdog on Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:11 am

inxs88 wrote:
There are plenty of State League players that could do what McStay does on $100,000 vs his rumored $600.000

I think you’re underestimating what McStay does. There’s plenty of State League players around the size of McStay who can’t do what McStay does. Physicality at AFL level and ability to take a mark in the forward line at AFL level isn’t an easy art. What he’s not is elite, like Cameron or Lynch. Cameron and Lynch aren’t available. McStay is. He wants to return to Victoria. I’m not saying he’s worth the reported $600,000 a year he’s wanting. What I can’t understand is why we didn’t make a play for Peter Wright and allowed him to walk to Essendon for virtually nothing. Terrible mistake by the previous administration. Graham Wright is correcting the ship. Pity we didn’t have Graham Wright a couple of years ago. He could have avoided all the damage done to the Treloar contract and the Stephenson situation.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:04 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
^

Agree. There was a spell a few weeks ago where Wright didn’t kick a goal for three consecutive games but nobody notices that. They just see him kick a goal and say, Geez, he should have been at Collingwood. Same as McStay, he was pretty ordinary last night, got his hands to a bit of the ball but couldn’t finish. He didn’t get to 100 plus games playing like that every week. Most thought he would be dropped when both Hipwood and Daniher were back but it hadn’t happened yet, so they must rate him.
What people miss about trading for players is that not every player wants to come to Collingwood just because we want them to come to the club. There’s 18 clubs out there across the country and all provide different on field opportunities, present different contracts, while some can also offer additional lures like bigger crowds, career after footy, go home factor etc. Point being, when you have a player who seemingly is keen to play for your club and doesn’t come as a trade, you need to consider these guys seriously. We’re also talking about a player who fits our list profile perfectly ( tall, 100 + games, 26 )
I still think there’s a fair chance if McStay comes to the club, then either one of Krueger or McStay could be trialled in the backline during the off season. They both started their AFL careers as defenders and it would probably balance out our list more evenly, since Howe is close to the end and that we have very little physical strength back there. I’m not fussed either way about McStay but this club hasn’t gone from 17th and a basket case to 7th with a bullet twelve months later on the back of making bad or rash decisions. You can bet the footy dept will have watched more than his game last night before making a final decision on him ( or McStay on us )
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:25 am

if we can afford it $600k a year is pretty cheap for a free agent KPP, clearly McRae and co see something there

hes tall, big, not too slow, and can kick a goal, hes tall! hes tall!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:03 am

I guess the point was that Brody Mihocek came from the State Leagues and when you dive deep throughout the WAFL, SANFL and VFL etc there are currently players like Tyler Keitel who for $100,000 starting wage won't be 6 times inferior than a Dan McStay.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:08 am

He's tall, apparently brings some physicallity (not that I've seen it) and provides less of a key target than either of Cox or Cameron.

A really good FPF I'd take in a heartbeat, I just don't see what this guy adds to the mix.

All players fit, one of Cox or Cameron is going to be forward as 2nd ruck. Checkers plays.
3rd tall options include the other of Cox and Cameron, Johnson, Kreuger, Wilson and maybe Kelly. McStay comes in for one of them.

Small forwards Ginny, Billy and Beau
Medium Forwards WHE and Henry.

We have a good blend and mix. If we drop in a big, physical, contested marking, park crashing KPF it would be a great mix. I just can't see McStay as that.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Stui, I don’t necessarily disagree with you but is the knock on McStay more about the contract or whether he improves our list or not ? Or both ?
Is he worth the ALLEGED $600,000 a year, probably not. So what worth do you then put on draft pick in the mid / late twenties you don’t have to hand over to get him ?
McStay for mine, is all about team dynamic and balance and obviously the Lions think he helps theirs and they’ve been a decent team for a few years now. Sure, we would all prefer Luke Jackson but we aren’t in a position to make that happen. We could also wait until the end of 2023 for someone better than McStay and then compete against all the other clubs looking to improve.
At the risk of repeating myself, I still think the McStay decision is as much about whether DeGoey stays or goes. If Degoey leaves, then the value of McStay becomes a very different conversation when there’s a first round compo pick at play.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 am

Pies2016 wrote:
If Degoey leaves, then the value of McStay becomes a very different conversation when there’s a first round compo pick at play.

And maybe that's where we try and do something with a trade for McStay and our three third rounders to help Bris pay for Ashcroft and make sure we don't lose a compo pick if JDG walks..?? Don't know how it would work - but feels like Pies and Lions could be dealing at trade period.

piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:15 am

inxs88 wrote:
I guess the point was that Brody Mihocek came from the State Leagues and when you dive deep throughout the WAFL, SANFL and VFL etc there are currently players like Tyler Keitel who for $100,000 starting wage won't be 6 times inferior than a Dan McStay.

The other challenge is that not every single player you pick from a state league will pay off. Checkers is the exception not the rule. There is a reason that once players turn 22/23 their likelihood of being picked up drops away significantly.

Yes you would only have to pay a state league player $100k, but if only one in every 6 is any good then you have still burnt $600k trying to find one player - and I suggest that the odds of finding another Checkers or better are waaaay longer than 1 in 6 (more like 1 in 40-50).

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:45 am

The Herald Sun has a pic of Sidey under a potential trades headline — I’m assuming it’s click bait and they’re talking up his value due to recent form. He’s staying at the club to become a 300 member, eff off tabloids!
piffdog 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:50 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
The Herald Sun has a pic of Sidey under a potential trades headline — I’m assuming it’s click bait and they’re talking up his value due to recent form. He’s staying at the club to become a 300 member, eff off tabloids!

Just read the article - says he signed an extension to end of 2023 but didnt announce it. I wasn't aware of that - but good news I think.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:10 pm

piffdog wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
If Degoey leaves, then the value of McStay becomes a very different conversation when there’s a first round compo pick at play.

And maybe that's where we try and do something with a trade for McStay and our three third rounders to help Bris pay for Ashcroft and make sure we don't lose a compo pick if JDG walks..?? Don't know how it would work - but feels like Pies and Lions could be dealing at trade period.

Just remember, the Lions will receive a reasonable compo pick if McStay leaves as a free agent ( providing they don’t bring one in ) and they won’t want to forfeit that. Hard to guess how that pick looks right now, maybe a mid / late second rounder ( ? ) We would need to offer them as good as their compo pick or there’s zero incentive for them to trade for McStay, particularly when points are everything to them. I haven’t thought this through but we would probably have to trade AT LEAST two of our three third rounders just to come in under what the Lions compo pick would look like. It’s too early to crunch the points on this one.
DeGoey continues to be the first domino. If DeGoey stays, then all the clandestine trading for McStay amounts to nothing. If DeGoey goes, then the conversation takes on a whole new direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 153, 154, 155  Next
Page 8 of 155   

Jump to: