Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Blues. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Well, we did release our retro ‘90s gear, and let’s be honest, Carlton owned us during the ‘90s, so I guess we played on-brand tonight.

late 1994 through to 2000 was a total abuse of the head-to-head ratio.

From that 1994 rnd 2 game [McGuane goal of century win], through to round 3, 2000. 6 years of straight losses. NEVER FORGET.

True. But what hurt me more was 1970, 1979, and 1981! When was the last time we beat the Scum in a big final? - that's the worry. If they manage to scrape into 4th spot this year we might be on a skid to being out in straight sets.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:28 am

Piesnchess wrote:

THE BLUES, prior match was a friggin cakewalk, against the lowly inept eagles,ours was a boiling hot pressure test, a virtual final, at Ports ground, just totally exhausting, and it showed last night. Plus, fof heavens sakes, bring in Jack ginni and Ash, we badly missed their input. Bluescum played at their best, we played at no more than 60%, if that, im sure not panicking, we will learn from that loss a lot. Surprised

If you think that's the excuse for our loss you are delusional. We were totally outplayed in the coach's box from about the 5 minute mark of the first quarter (after we kicked the first two goals!). Carlton played their best minus at least 3 of their walk up starters, Cripps on one leg and they lost Cerra at half time. This was a beat down of the worst order.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:31 am

90 nice wrote:
Does anyone know the head to head with Carlton I thought the gap is now 3 on the back of last nights lose

A good idea to read the thread first, most questions are covered off.
And the good Jezza has posted on this.

https://afltables.com/afl/teams/collingwood_idx.html

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:02 am

LaurieHolden wrote:

A good 7 day break should freshen us up. I can cop a loss, preferably not to Carlton, but I'm more interested how we respond over the next two weeks.

You should coach, Laurie Holden 😉
What’s done is done. The only thing that matters now is how we respond. This may yet prove to be the kick in the arse we needed. We don’t know that yet but we will know more as the next couple weeks roll on.
It’s a long hard season. It was only a week ago we had a big win against Port over there and in the wet, so let’s not all microwave our memberships just yet. We were out pressured, nothing more, nothing less. There aren’t many teams who win a game these days without winning the pressure indicators.
The good news is, we have the potential and ability to apply more pressure, while Carlton reached their ceiling last night.
mgh3536 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:08 am

we have lost to brisbane, melb and Carlton

more scoring shots in Brisbane and carlton games

Clearly we have to play our style, but all three losses have negated our run similar to what Port did last week.

Our fast style of play allows for a lot of goals ....out the back, one out etc so having to scrap in our fwd 50 is a bit of a learning for us

Have to fix our contested ball all around the field but in particular in fwd 50

Maybe continue Howe up forward and Frampton to FB, freeing up Moore

Howe forward is much better option than bringing in Johnson, Moore further up the field is a plus
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:39 am

VFL is playing today @ 1.05pm

Match can be viewed via live stream:

https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/5255

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:55 am

They say things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem

But this is the exception to the rule
This was a total exposure of our weaknesses

Our poor field kicking was exposed under pressure
Our poor goal kicking was exposed
Our hard high press by defenders was exposed
Our inability to play man on man was exposed
First time Brisbane did it then Melbourne now these wankers

Take away our corridor quick ball movement and we are lost
Our defensive structure is ordinary when we are made made to play one on one

But with every cloud comes some clarity
It’s clear now Cox can’t be in any finals team we select
He doesn’t impact a game frequently and it appears the umpires have unilaterally decided he can’t have a free kick inside 50 because last night he was held by the jumper and pushed off the ball constantly

Sidey best is long past and he will be lucky to go on next season. 10 ineffective tackles again last night, his opponent running rampant feeding there forward line, his kicking again diabolical, puts his team mates under pressure with errant handballs

McCreery either learns how to play 4 quarters or play VFL. He with his speed should be making more impact and hitting the scoreboard that’s what good small forwards do

Mitchell looks injured or cooked either way he needs to lift dramatically. His drop off in scoring assists over last 6 weeks has been dramatic

We have to find our best 22 in position and stick to it now
Frampton comes in pays the Cox role with the added bonus he can actually play either end of the ground and is more mobile
Hill comes back in
Markov needs to be in 22 somewhere for his speed and efforts (something a few of his team mates don’t have or don’t do)
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:58 am

Piesnchess wrote:
LEARN FROM YOUR DEFEATS. -A KARPOV . EX WORLD CHESS CHAMPION.(and it applies equally, too football defeats , like last night ) !

I would rather learn from a winning position and repeat what we did to win. And to put it succinctly, we have to play four good quarters of football rather than one or two brilliant quarters and play crap for the rest of the game. I’m hoping that this was the inevitable bad game we tend to have before the finals (in 1990 we lost by 80 points to Hawthorn in our last H&A game.) I will eagerly watch the next game against hawthorn to see how they play on the rebound and glean if this loss was an outlier or a major factor that could lead to a big time loss of confidence and winning form. I hope it was just a glitch.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:15 pm

Cox is a ruckman, not a forward. Same issue as melbourne.
Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:23 pm

90 nice wrote:
Does anyone know the head to head with Carlton I thought the gap is now 3 on the back of last nights lose

131-4-129

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:24 pm

One thing that does bother me is the failure to hold or control contested field marks, particularly from kick ins and exiting defence. Cox rarely holds those marks and Cameron is only marginally better. The crumbers, if there are any, aren't holding the ball in, and more often than not recently, the ball is rebounded back into the opposition forward line. Oh and I doubt Frampton is the answer either. A bomb to half back (as it is into the forward 50) is a low percentage option and I cant see why we need 2 or even three Collingwood players flying for marks they aren't going to take.

I dont think this was the main reason we lost or anything but its been a noticeable weakness all year.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:31 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
McCreery either learns how to play 4 quarters or play VFL.

The entire team have to learn to play 4 quarters if they have serious intentions of winning finals.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:35 pm

My guess for why we looked so flat is that we are having a 2-3 week harder training block before easing off. We lacked overlap and number possibilities, but they had more to play for. Whilst its disappointing, if you don't get caught up in the whole Collingwood-Carlton thing, it's just a game we dropped and can learn from. I still have PTSD from my childhood but the Blues have been rubbish for nearly half my life now, so there's that.

On the plus side, Voss will get another year Razz

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:51 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
I think Vossy took his old coaches mantra "if it bleeds, we can kill it".
They looked like they set themselves for this, they were into it early on. Our inaccuracy simply failed to exert the pressure required to force them to make mistakes or second guess themselves.

Round 23 they were the inaccurate ones, although our 3.5 in the first quarter let them back into the game.
This time they didn't let us back in.
The brains trust will need to do their homework if we face Carlton again in a final. Ugggh.

We bled last night, and I'll give them full marks for the intensity they brought for 4 quarters. Vossy also got the better from the coaches box, particularly when they lost Cerra, who was near b.o.g before he did his hammy. Very good player that bloke.
In tandem with Cripps they smashed us out of the middle for the contested ball. It was a telling factor in the match.

And Curnow, well we panicked when he went near it. He, like Cameron is a repeat effort forward in the patterns they run. It confuses defences and he confused ours.
All in all I thought we looked tired and lacked the connective dash, despite efforts of Markov and Crisp.

We've lost 3 matches for the season. It's our best ledger since the 2010 / 2011 seasons and 3rd best percentage of our modern era
We were perhaps gulity of fast forwarding this movie to get to the end. The hubris that has built up around the Club caught fire last night and was put out, for now.
A good 7 day break should freshen us up. I can cop a loss, preferably not to Carlton, but I'm more interested how we respond over the next two weeks.

Correct Laurie , the Bluescum had to win this,or may have missed Finals yet again, they were extremey desperate. They had shit easy game v Weages , we had very torrid match v Port, we looked jaded, tired, some players sluggish, 5 day break too. Yes, bad kicking for goal let them right off the hook, we had our chances, but missed em, even Jamie was off the mark. Bring in Ginnivan, Ash, maybe Frampton, Cox needs a rest. Reckon Fly learnt a lot from that defeat, and the players, not as if we were smashed, lost by tad under 3 goals. Reckon we played at 60%, them at 100%, be very different next bloody time, be ready for them next time, in Finals maybe. Yeh, as we are saying, the loss we had to have, to shake us up, no more hubris, from anyone. Now for next week, time for total redemption. Exclamation

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:13 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:
I think Vossy took his old coaches mantra "if it bleeds, we can kill it".
They looked like they set themselves for this, they were into it early on. Our inaccuracy simply failed to exert the pressure required to force them to make mistakes or second guess themselves.

Round 23 they were the inaccurate ones, although our 3.5 in the first quarter let them back into the game.
This time they didn't let us back in.
The brains trust will need to do their homework if we face Carlton again in a final. Ugggh.

We bled last night, and I'll give them full marks for the intensity they brought for 4 quarters. Vossy also got the better from the coaches box, particularly when they lost Cerra, who was near b.o.g before he did his hammy. Very good player that bloke.
In tandem with Cripps they smashed us out of the middle for the contested ball. It was a telling factor in the match.

And Curnow, well we panicked when he went near it. He, like Cameron is a repeat effort forward in the patterns they run. It confuses defences and he confused ours.
All in all I thought we looked tired and lacked the connective dash, despite efforts of Markov and Crisp.

We've lost 3 matches for the season. It's our best ledger since the 2010 / 2011 seasons and 3rd best percentage of our modern era
We were perhaps gulity of fast forwarding this movie to get to the end. The hubris that has built up around the Club caught fire last night and was put out, for now.

Correct Laurie , the Bluescum had to win this,or may have missed Finals yet again, they were extremey desperate. They had shit easy game v Weages , we had very torrid match v Port, we looked jaded, tired, some players sluggish, 5 day break too. Yes, bad kicking for goal let them right off the hook, we had our chances, but missed em, even Jamie was off the mark. Bring in Ginnivan, Ash, maybe Frampton, Cox needs a rest. Reckon Fly learnt a lot from that defeat, and the players, not as if we were smashed, lost by tad under 3 goals. Reckon we played at 60%, them at 100%, be very different next bloody time, be ready for them next time, in Finals maybe. Yeh, as we are saying, the loss we had to have, to shake us up, no more hubris, from anyone. Now for next week, time for total redemption. Exclamation

So Frampton comes in for Cox. Who do you drop to bring in Johnson and Ginnivan?

I just remembered that when McStay missed a very easy shot in front of goal after a good marking effort, I found myself yelling "Its Travis Cloke all over again" Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14   

Jump to: