Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Dogs. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

shawthing wrote:
I totally agree with those saying Bontempelli is the best player in the AFL at the moment. No question!

A few people have said the same thing but I don't see how anyone gets that out if watching that game. If Collingwood had won, all anyone would be talking about today would be how Nick carried the team on his back. He is the best footballer - bar none - that I have ever seen. He was beyond brilliant last night. Bontempelli is a good player but he's not in Nick Daicos' class. He just had a bit more help.
think better 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:39 pm

De Goey, Mitchell and Pendles would have been handy last night
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:54 pm

Quote:
Ash Johnson seems to have lost his flair and even Brain Taylor could see that he really didn't want to be out there last night. Hopefully Johnson can regain the natural flair and start to play with some speed and commitment again

Fly talks about playing your natural game and enjoying your footy but, what he really means, is be prepared to take risks.
In reality, Collingwood has a methodical, disciplined game plan.
As Jumping Jack Ginnivan says: "“Collingwood is a very structured system, it’s very hard to be a forward at Collingwood”
So apart from Bobby's weekly, very ambitious attempts to run around, through or between 3-4 opposition players, I don't think there's much room for natural flair at Collingwood.
Added to this, AJ is a 3rd tall in a forward setup that doesn't have room for a 3rd tall.
As such, AJ might have a better shot at a club that has actual KPFs that do the heavy lifting and who will allow him to bob up and kick a goal or two and take the occasional magnificent speccy.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 1:58 pm

Boot wrote:
….

Very well put, I agree with everything you said. Only Harrison and Richards have emerged as long term players from all the newbies. Given Schultz kicked 3, and should have kicked 5, maybe there is hope there.

Poor old Ash J. I have always been a fan, but can see no future now. Maybe explains how someone who can show great talent at times was never drafted early.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:05 pm

Well, overall disappointed but in reality the result was inevitable with so many key players out. I disagree that we went on the defensive in the last trying to save the game, in reality the Dogs forced us on the defensive by lifting their work rate. We couldn't get the fkn ball out of our forward half for the last 30 minutes.

In a way, it shows how invaluable Pendles is as an on field coach, particularly when the use of the runner is so restricted.

Great effort by the lads to put up such a fighting effort for 3 quarters, now we just need to get through to the Bye and hope to get some players back.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:15 pm

I knew when McStay was out for months, our forwards would struggle, as hes such a big bodied CHF, and he did get us into the GF, with his 3 goals v GWS. I hear he may come back a la Howe, in august. Cannot come soon enough.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:42 pm

The Dogs had players out, true, but our problem is we had a whole line (forward line) out which in my many years of following footy I have never seen occur to any club. Picture this for a moment:

HF: WHE Mihocek Degoey
F: Elliott Cox Richards

plus: McStay (albeit whole year), McInnes

That's 8 bona fide forwards. To think last night our forward line was:

HF: Markov Johnson McCreery
F: Hill Schulz Frampton

with Harrison floating through.

Our only chance was to build a lead early and then shut it down. Unfortunately, kicking accuracy cost us 5-6 easy shots in the first quarter keeping Bulldogs close enough.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:45 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Well, overall disappointed but in reality the result was inevitable with so many key players out. I disagree that we went on the defensive in the last trying to save the game, in reality the Dogs forced us on the defensive by lifting their work rate. We couldn't get the fkn ball out of our forward half for the last 30 minutes.

In a way, it shows how invaluable Pendles is as an on field coach, particularly when the use of the runner is so restricted.

Great effort by the lads to put up such a fighting effort for 3 quarters, now we just need to get through to the Bye and hope to get some players back.

Good post, Stui.

Agree with your point in the first paragraph that we didn't play defensive by design. It was a consequence of the Dogs dominating clearances and winning the territory battle. Fly reiterated this several times in his post-match presser.

First three quarters were very good with the first quarter being outstanding. The only annoyance is it didn't translate on the scoreboard kicking 5.7.37 when we could have been 9.3.57 or 10.2.62 and the Dogs might have been out of reach from catching us.

Think we had too many in the end as a consequence of our outs that couldn't get us over the line. Too much was left to too few, namely the Daicos boys and Crisp to will us over the line. Once the Dogs put some work into nullifying Nick, it allowed the likes of Bontempelli to run amok in the final quarter.

Good news is there were no injuries to report and hopefully we get some players back for King's Birthday.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:56 pm

Was Noble due for a rotation rest ???

Could he not have stayed in the fight longer???

woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:01 pm

BazBoy wrote:
^

they chose a non-flexible sub and where forced to sub like for like.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:24 pm

BazBoy wrote:
^

Yeah, I’m confused about subbing him, he’s a fighter and we needed that
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:25 pm

1eyedpie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
momentum swung because if a stupid 50m penalty Sidey gave away.

Sidey was no where near encroaching on the mark! He was always outside 5 metres therefore didn't have to "stand"

THAT umpire got that terribly wrong and gifted the dogs their first goal.

STOP the Sidey hate! He had a decent game.

i agree, the 50's were ridiculous last night,

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
shawthing wrote:
I totally agree with those saying Bontempelli is the best player in the AFL at the moment. No question!

A few people have said the same thing but I don't see how anyone gets that out if watching that game. If Collingwood had won, all anyone would be talking about today would be how Nick carried the team on his back. He is the best footballer - bar none - that I have ever seen. He was beyond brilliant last night. Bontempelli is a good player but he's not in Nick Daicos' class. He just had a bit more help.

exactly this, thankyou!!!!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:34 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
They were missing:

Naughton
Weightman
Richards
Smith
Libba

Yet we want to cry foul with OUR omissions???

Please. Fly is stubborn coach and his tactics are obsolete now.

Here’s my problem with that argument. The dogs didn’t only have 26 players to pick from. So while Naughton was out, they still had Lobb to pick from.
While five of our first choice forwards were out, we couldn’t even get McInnes or Hoskin - Elliot to pull on a jumper that game.
It should be noted the same coach who has supposedly lost his coaching ability overnight, still managed to find a way for us to score 80 odd points. We were belted in the last quarter quarter because any centre bouncesincluding the likes of Frampton, McCreery and Sullivan was never going to get it done against their three All Australians. Had we been able to select our couple A A midfielders ( and that’s not including DeGoey as AA ) then the outcome would have been very different. That’s footy, sometimes you’re the beneficiary of injuries and other times your the recipient.

truth!! we would have smoked them with just 1 or 2 of our outs!

we lost through sheer exhaustion in the end, they did not win

Boot 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:20 pm

Special mention to Darcy Cameron for his game last night. Up against an AA ruckman in English, I thought Cameron helped significantly to drive the early dominance of Collingwood but without enough support, which is best provided by Mason Cox, to give Cameron a chop out he was exhausted by the last quarter and hence that contributed to Collingwood being overrun.
Cameron has been very good this year, but he definitely needs a chop out for about 30% of the game which makes it a necessity for Collingwood to have a viable 2nd ruckman in the team. Gee I hope Alex Condon abandons his basketball career to join the Pies at the end of this season...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11   

Jump to: