Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Umpiring rants ~ receive our scorn

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet, some dickheads on thst SIDE BY SIDE site, reckon the umpires were fine last night and had no influence on the match at all, in answer to one of my posts, I kid you not. Last qtr abomination no effect onthem,nor a double 50 meter penalty, that became a very rare 100 meter penalty . They must be bloody blind as bats.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
aus50ford 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:38 pm

Last few minutes at a centre bounce, it was called back due to poor bounce and when the umpire threw it up, a Footscray midfielder was standing in the circle !!!
So what none of the 4 umpires can see that ??

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:45 am

Double page spread — TWO pages! — in Herald-Dumb today, by Robbo, ranting North was robbed by the non-59m penalty call. Despite all the evidence Scott played on and AFl confirms should have been called play on as he clearly stepped off the mark. And not a single word about the illegal holding of Nick Daicos, but apparently “hard” tagging is allowed again. They can get bent.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 11:51 am

Be careful using the AFL statement to back you up in this instance. You can’t bag the league and then use that as a crutch in defence of your position and we all know that in a couple weeks they will put out an announcement justifying something else which potentially isn’t in our favour…
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:08 pm

We ended up getting a goal but wrapping both arms around whisper and lifting him off the ground before the ball arrives might be, just maybe, holding the man. One of the worst non calls I've ever seen.

Last edited by Lone Ranger on Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:57 pm

piffdog wrote:
Be careful using the AFL statement to back you up in this instance. You can’t bag the league and then use that as a crutch in defence of your position and we all know that in a couple weeks they will put out an announcement justifying something else which potentially isn’t in our favour…

Yep, more referring to media. When it’s a bad call against us -— aFL made correct call! But if it’s a debated decision that favours us, AFL wrong. Two ducking pages is dumb for an incident that even a blind man could see was play on or at the very least umps cut players some slack due to the noise (crowd noise was bloody loud, couldn’t even hear the whistle)
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:46 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Double page spread — TWO pages! — in Herald-Dumb today, by Robbo, ranting North was robbed by the non-59m penalty call. ...

Robbo:

"The decision not to pay a 50m penalty to ... Bailey Scott was the worst decision of the season. It polluted a cracking game..., one which should be talked about for being pure, thrilling and high scoring but instead the commentary surrounds a series of mysterious non-call that decided the result.

But on Sunday, the two Collingwood blokes lost their heads and charged over the mark at Scott. They were confused and Scott was confused. And so, too, were the umpires. The Nick Daicos missed call was half-understandable. He was tackled ... he tried to handball. The ball fell out. Play-on was called.

The Isaac Quaynor missed call was clearly wrong. ...

The umpire assumed Quaynor handballed it. In real time, it looked iffy. The replay showed it was a throw. All up, there was one certain free kick and one maybe in 40 seconds of craziness. And the Quaynor decision 10 minutes earlier was also wrong. No one with footy in their soul can believe that to be acceptable."
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:13 pm

lol 😝 the Bendigo drunk at it again. Ask anyone who worked with him at the Bendigo Advertiser Office about this tool and his exploits while working 😗 The dictionary definition of a Neanderthal!
Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 6:21 pm

^^^
Old Slobbo is a gibbering idiot at the best of times. File under attention-seeking irrelevant hack.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:39 pm

I may have my black and white glasses on like everybody else here, but I think the AFL are not only technically correct to tick this one off but also voicing a principle that I would like to see implemented far more often, which is to give players the benefit of the doubt before awarding 50 metre penalties.

Whether it works in our favour or not, soft 50 metre penalties are a blight on the game, and it would have been a far worse outcome imo if it had been paid and the game had been decided as a result (something we've already seen happen far too often this season). In this case, Kane is right: the players were confused, the umpire gave an ambiguous call, and rather than doubling down and punishing the players for their confusion, the umpire actually made a common-sense decision in the moment.

I watched the AFL 360 segment and Robbo and Whateley have the wrong end of the stick: they keep talking about players not being entitled to decide that an opponent has played on after taking a mark. But the open question for me is whether it was even a mark to begin with; if the ball travelled 15 metres, it mustn't have been by very far, and my assumption is that that's the reason McCreery and Sidebottom continued putting pressure on him.

That's the whole point of the umpire's whistle: it's to stop the play and to pay the mark, and if it's genuinely unclear whether a mark has been taken and the defensive player isn't trying to unduly hold up play, then the umpire's role should be to assert control, give the marking player his allotted time to dispose of it or to elect to play on, and give the defensive player the opportunity to get back on the mark. That for me is in the spirit of the game, not handing out entirely technical or draconian 50 metre penalties like lollies. (And of course whether it was one or two players is entirely beside the point.)

People moan about umpires over-officiating all the time. You can't have it both ways. My principle always has been and always will be that, if umpires are to make mistakes – and of course they always will – it will be better for the game if they give players the benefit of the doubt. No question that that has its limits and that absolutely obvious free kicks shouldn't be missed (and this is where I think there are genuine issues currently around non-handballs and, until recently, holding the ball), but imo this non-50 wasn't one of them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76
Page 76 of 76   

Jump to: