Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made us 'Collingwood people'? from '01 - Add your story

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

okjoe wrote:
Does anyone really read all this. But for the record my father grew up in Collingwood. He watched them go thru their paces at night on the training field, sold the footy fixtures at the games in the 1940's. If we weren't balck & white would of been put on the adoption list quick smart. There was never any question. And now a very close person from our family is extremely associated with the Pies. Like a dream true more than you could ever imagine would happen. So proud

Does anyone really read all this..this was a topic started way back in 2001 when all the pies could do was lose week after week after week, back in those days nicks board was it's sensational best and it forged many friendships through dissapointment and hardship, infact in those days nicks board was an inspiration to many of us and i dont believe the site has ever been the same since it just seemed to be so much fun way back then, wasnt too much shitbagging back then.
It was these type of topics that attracted eddie, they were the days when Mike was the sole moderator way over in Tassie.
They were the days when FJD came after myself and the good Doctor Alf eventually we unmasked FJD with address and phone number, back then the good doctor and myself released the world wide hit ' chook raffle '

Back then just like now we saw the dark clouds dissapear and a fantastic era was born.
A small community on nicks board at the time were very close and very passionate..it's what set up nicks board to what it is today.

They were great days Smile

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:42 pm

How small are you talking here?
fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:45 pm

I have got something to add that brings back soooooooooo many memories''''''''''''''''''''..............

"Peanuts, shilling a bag Peanuts!"

leelee Scorpio

Live. Love. Race.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:25 pm

Totally agreeing with you there colin_wood
And i'm from the working class background too... Well partially... My dad grew up in housing comission all over the state... Then ended up in hastings (if you know west park... yeah... enough said) And he was the usual story... left skool at 15 to work on a farm and then when they moved down here he went along to BHP with the rest of the family... Blue collars all the way haha

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:41 pm

I have no family history. My parents were wierd. Mum had a thing for barassi and followed him from melbourne to Carlton to eventually North. Dad had a thing for the underdog and was St kilda until they won a flag then he migrated to North with Mum.

I grew up in country NSW. Footy on the radio on a saturday afternoon and watching 'the winners" on the ABC saturday evening.

When I was a kid, Mum ran a milk bar/cafe. At 10 years old, I was making hamburgers, cooking fish and chips serving behind the counter and back answering adults who treated me like a kid Wink

Mum hired a chick to work for her in the mlk bar. Bit of a wild thing, in her late teens (maybe early 20's, I was 10 FFS). I had a crush on her. She tried to cure me from smoking ( I started real early) by making me smoke viscount after viscount, doing the drawback etc. it didn't work. What did work was her passion for Collingwood. She was mad. Absolutely nuts. I allowed myself to be corrupted. In a world of ambivilence, I discovered something to be passionate about and was converted forever.

The funny thing was, she left shortly after. Moved on. But I stayed faithful to the pies despite both parents being North (but not passionate then) and a grandfather who was mad Fitzroy and hated Collingwood with a passion. Funny thing was, I think he respected me standing up to him and arguing when he had the rest of the family totally cowed on everything. (Except dad cos him and Dad barely spoke)

So I started as a magpie in 1976. Great start. Embarassed

Then came '77 when I tried to be gracious to mum as a North supporter and failed miserably.

She barracked for Carlton in 79, I used language she'd never hear before and stormed out of the house and didn't come back for hours when we lost. The next few years are blurry. I'm told that people struggle to recall pain.

I watched the 1990 grandfinal on TV with my 9 month old son on my knee and an essendon supporter on my right hand.
My kids, boy and girl are both magpies, but not passionate about it. They don't know what's happening except for when they hear me yelling. When my daughter was 4, she threatened to barrack for geelong. I told her that i could live with that, but if she was going to barrack for Carlton, get the phuk out of my house and start walking. She wisely chose to stay.

I don't go to games, maybe 1 per 3 years. I grew up listening on the radio and watching the replay and that's my passion. Going to games is a time bandit for me that I can't justify. As a single parent, I can be doing the gardening, the washing or other domestic duties with a beer in one hand and the magpies in both ears Wink

For me, It's not about being there cos I rarely am. It's about supporting the club. it's about remembering blokes like Craig Stewart and Derek Shaw. Wally Amadio and Danny Seow. Billy Picken, Peter Daicos, Darren Milane Tony Shaw.

300 games or none, legend or non entity, they form part of the complicated fabric that is the Collingwood football club and I love it. I am a magpie thru and thru.

raymond35 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:01 pm

OK, i'm game....who on earth is Wally Amadio?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:09 pm

ray fidge wrote:

From memory back in the early 80's, a 2nd's ruckman who was in his very early 20's (big unit) yet to play a senior game who died in the sauna at Vic park from a heart attack.

On the other hand, I could be hallucinating. For 20+ years Shocked

raymond35 

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 11:24 pm

Well youve got me there Stui. Maybe someone like magpiegreg or joffa knows this one, i certainly dont remember that.
MK 

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:47 am

It all started for me back in about 1960. We were poor barstards back then...I was 5 & my Bro was part of the cheer squad floggers. He never took me to the games because I was too small and got in the way.
My Step Grand Father, Frank, lived with us at the time...he was a good hearted Warfie who only had two things on his mind Grog...the the Pies..in that order.. He used myself & Sister as an excuse to "...I'll take the kids to the footy love.." we'd always end up in a pub after the half time Pass Out" and then WE would take him home. (sometimes on a Scooter Embarassed Living in Carrum at the time, I remember Frank was to take us to the Geelong V Collingwood game at Kardinia Park. Frank would take us up the the Carrum Station...not to catch the bloody train...but to wait for the Clock Lights to turn Red so he could tap on a car window to hitch a ride to the city..So he could save Money for more grog...but the passion for the club seemed to grow over those unusual times..Vic Park was like a shrine to me. The Club was like a barometer to measure happiness or otherwise..whatever shit happened away from footy, the Club provided the escapism that we all need......and we did'nt lose too many home and away games in those days... MOVING forward to 2006 nothing has changed. Still a barometer to determine how the following week will go and still an emotional rollercoaster...................

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:54 pm

Fair enough to rebump this thread? One of the alltime greats.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:10 pm

LOL Luke this topic wont die...my god its years old, but still a beauty i guess.
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
ray fidge wrote:

From memory back in the early 80's, a 2nd's ruckman who was in his very early 20's (big unit) yet to play a senior game who died in the sauna at Vic park from a heart attack.

On the other hand, I could be hallucinating. For 20+ years Shocked

Gee stui none of that rings a bell mate would be interested if anyone else knows anymore ?

stonedpies 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:14 pm

I like these threads, no bitching..

Anyway my story isnt that exciting, Mum was a pie supporter so i guess/maybe thats where it came from..

I remember watching one of the first games i ever saw live on telly here in Tas n Kanga's were playing in the granny (75/76?) and for a little while there i remember having faint allegiance to the kangaroos, i was a fairly young tacker at this stage...But it didnt feel right i suppose because I remember in 77 i was a full on Maggie.

I remember bawling my eyes when we lost the 77 replay, i remember me and my mate having a punch up on Grand final day 79 because he kept hassling me because we lost (he was a cats supporter).. Back then Billy Picken was my hero and i had number 25 on my jumper

These are my earliest memories and ever since i have been a full on Magpie and i wouldnt have it any other way!

Cannibal 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:17 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
Fair enough to rebump this thread? One of the alltime greats.

Luke, there's another, similar, thread somewhere in the archives, mate, because I know I wrote a piece about how I started barracking for the 'Pies a while back in quite a long thread (it's not in this one). Any chance of finding that and maybe combining the two?

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:19 pm

Honestly can't find it. http://www.magpies.net/nick/nickster/nicksters.php
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17   

Jump to: