Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It’s black and white: Daisy’s no Blue

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 5:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

woftam wrote:
I was also quite surprised with the reception he got from our players. Both during & even after the game. Not a lot of warmth for Daisy after the siren.

This stood out to me too. Didn't seem to be any love lost for Dale during the game or afterwards.
Seems like he may have burnt more bridges than he or the players have let on in the media. Saw him try to talk to ball after he shook his hand after the game and Ball just walked away. Didn't want anything to do with him.

Pendles just treated him with distain when he threw him to the ground.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:15 pm

Stupied wrote:
woftam wrote:
I was also quite surprised with the reception he got from our players. Both during & even after the game. Not a lot of warmth for Daisy after the siren.

This stood out to me too. Didn't seem to be any love lost for Dale during the game or afterwards.
Seems like he may have burnt more bridges than he or the players have let on in the media. Saw him try to talk to ball after he shook his hand after the game and Ball just walked away. Didn't want anything to do with him.

Pendles just treated him with distain when he threw him to the ground.

Was beautiful to see wasn't it??!!

I hate it when the players are laughing and carrying on with the opposition on the ground - it isn't junior footy, it isn't a regular job, there is no "fair enough, good luck " when someone leaves to the mortal enemy.

Those blokes out there have so many peoples' emotions in the palms of their hands, and those of you who wish the little sh1t all the best, clearly miss this point. It seems Dale also missed this point the way he behaved on the way out, or didn't care........

He looked like a broken man on Friday night. And I have no sympathy for him.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Flashman 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:32 pm

Only Swanny gave Thomas more than a perfunctory handshake.

Compare that response to when Gazza Jnr made his first trip back to Geelong after leaving for huge money to the Suns. The Geelong boys flocked to wish him well.

We all know football is a business and players leave clubs all the time but the indifference that Thomas got treated with suggests he burnt bridges with more than just the Collingwood supporter base.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:50 pm

^Try telling that to 35forever.

Going back to watch that gif again. It's like it's calling to me Shocked

Actually, hell I'll just post it again here for the lols Laughing

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 6:59 pm

Stupied wrote:

He's disappeared off the face of the earth. I was so looking forward to another incoherent rant.

He must be waiting for Thomas to actually get a kick.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:04 pm

Love the little embarrassed grin!!!!
Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:11 pm

King Monkey wrote:

He should be embarrassed. As if you would take a cheap shot at anyone, let alone arguably the nicest guy in footy after they've just been smashed in the face by a footy off your own boot.

Then to top it off, take a blatant dive against one of the most respected players in the comp.

The guy is a worm, and even if I was sorry to see him go at the end of last season, I'm eternally grateful he's not stinking up our club now.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:54 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Stupied wrote:

He's disappeared off the face of the earth. I was so looking forward to another incoherent rant.

He must be waiting for Thomas to actually get a kick.

Another 5000 word diatribe on how Collingwood has made so many mistakes is just what we need after beating the blues, who have both of 35forecer’s loves in Malthouse and Daisy.
He seems to have fallen into a crack and disappeared of the face of the earth.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:36 pm

Dale actually goes the grope on our captain. A cheap squeeze of the buttocks before he goes down. Outrageous behaviour.
matrix10 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:02 pm

Stupied wrote:
King Monkey wrote:

He should be embarrassed. As if you would take a cheap shot at anyone, let alone arguably the nicest guy in footy after they've just been smashed in the face by a footy off your own boot.

Then to top it off, take a blatant dive against one of the most respected players in the comp.

The guy is a worm, and even if I was sorry to see him go at the end of last season, I'm eternally grateful he's not stinking up our club now.

bang!! was truly embarrassing.

lol @ RAwHammer- cheeky little arse grab!
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:24 pm

Flashman wrote:
Only Swanny gave Thomas more than a perfunctory handshake.

Compare that response to when Gazza Jnr made his first trip back to Geelong after leaving for huge money to the Suns. The Geelong boys flocked to wish him well.

We all know football is a business and players leave clubs all the time but the indifference that Thomas got treated with suggests he burnt bridges with more than just the Collingwood supporter base.

He burnt bridges with the supporters too through what he has said in the media and that is part of the problem. That and the fact he chose mm and our biggest rival.

Just look at wellingham as a contrast. He left the club too, difference is he handled it better and with respect to the club who started he is career. Dale has done a lot of damage to his relationship with the club the least of which was actually the act of leaving.

Everyone gets its business, and money is money.....it's all the other shit that's hurt him.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:34 pm

Didaksgoal wrote:
woftam wrote:
As I've said before, I think this decision will be a huge regret when Daisy's career is over. It certainly was for Peter Moore. Daisy will struggle to deal with the pressure to perform that goes with taking a big contract. The money is great but unless you are performing to that level then it can become a burden. This is what I think is happening with him now & will continue to haunt him. He just isn't a $700,000 a year player. He will feel that pressure from his own fans & he will feel it with the media questioning his value.

This echoes pretty much how I feel.

After the siren, I thought there would have been more "chumminess" so-to-speak from the pies players, but there was pretty much bugger all apart from a few sentences with Swanny, and the regulation handshakes with the players.

If Dale is getting paid an estimated $650-$700K, I can't blame him for taking the cash. He knows himself, that the repeat ankle injuries could kill his career at any time, and it was probably better for him to jump at the big contract. The lure of Father figure Mick would've played a huge part too. The good thing is, Collingwood's hands are clean.

The pressure will be massive on Dale due to the estimated size and length of the contract, but surely he would have realised that before signing with Carlton? Perhaps a full pre-season will see him performing better.

Anyone want to take a pick as to which South Australian team Bryce Gibbs will be playing for next year? Absolute goner I reckon.

Go the Pies

I'm really, really hoping Adelaide pay him a fortune so that Dangerfield falls out of their salary cap and joins another team - say, just for example, Collingwood. Laughing
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:25 pm

Flashman wrote:
If you're so intelligent 35forever why don't you know the difference between a "FACT" and an "ALLEGATION"?

You constantly say the club offered Daisy peanuts and that the club lied about why they decided not to match Carlton's offer and that Thomas really wanted to stay but you've provided not one shred of evidence to support these assertions of yours.

Yet you claim these are irrefutable facts which is total and utter bullshit.

You know what we know (and the blindingly obvious circumstantial evidence suggests that Thomas was at best hedging his bets all year about staying) and until you provide something more substantial than "I was following Daisy's tweets and he said he wanted to stay... FACT!" then I'll take your long winded diatribes with a pinch of salt and maintain my opinion that you are full of it.

But then again you're the poster who reckoned we'd have won 5 flags in a row if we'd kept Malthouse on as coach (I still don't get how that would have happened after losing 2011 but anyway) so clearly exaggeration, hyperbole along with your own sense of grandiosity are legitimate tools to back up your factually dubious arguments.

Okie Doke, You know I dislike conducting a battle of wits with an unarmed man, but you force my hand, which must now be employed in slapping you back in your place. Such a shame as the novels by your namesake are among my favourites. I can only assume someone read them to you as audiobooks don't explain the big words. Then again the fact that you enjoyed them enough to employ the eponymous hero's moniker as your online 'nom de plume' suggests at least a basic intelligence, although sheer coincidence is another possibility. (If the unlikely former is the case I urge you to buy the large print version of Dickens' unheralded masterpiece "Martin Chuzzlewit", you would enjoy it) Either way I remain, as always, happy to pit my IQ, knowledge of football, and love of Collingwood against those of anyone here.

And so, to business...

Firstly, it is a well known fact that Collingwood offered Daisy a deal early in 2013. The exact number isn't officially known, but the media at the time believed that number was in the vicinity of 300K. Daisy himself opted to wait until he could recover and show the decision makers some of his best, as he believed he was worth more to Collingwood, both onfield & off, one could hardly suggest he was being unreasonable. His plan was to get back to the ones after a game or two in the Magoos, and show the football world some of his best, especially in the finals where he has always shone, being among our very best in both the 2010 & 2011 campaigns.
That, he reasoned would show Collingwood decision makers that he was worth far more than 300K, which is not huge money in AfL terms, over 30% of players earn that or more. No one could suggest that the guy wasn't among the leagues best 250 players even in 2013, when he was arguably BOG in his only full game for the season against StKilda.

It is also well known (somebody else quoted it above), that later in season 2013 Collingwood revised their offer. They called it "performance based", but it is universally acknowledged, and pretty bloody obvious given that he played ZERO games in that period, that it was revised DOWN.
That puts it in the 200K's at best, does it not? Even if Collingwood didn't actually tell him he was not wanted at The Westpac, an offer in the 200Ks for one of the games best says it loudly & clearly.

We know they did say that in Heath Shaw's case, and then LIED about it, saying it was a mutual decision. Heater said in an interview that he wanted to stay but was dumped by Collingwood - After all their stories about it being something both parties agreed on, Collingwood said NOTHING in reply, causing their trousers to spontaneously burst into flames.

It's very easy to suggest that Daisy was an ordinary player who didn't rate a 500K pay packet, or that his foot wasn't going to improve, but the facts are that he was an absolute gun, described by Leigh Matthews as arguably the best in the game. When he was still at Collingwood, and before the sh|tfight about his contract started, NO ONE here doubted that. He was undoubtedly in our top 5 players, and thrived on the big games. He was among our best in the 2010 & 2011 finals series & probably our very best in the two 2010 grand Finals. He took huge strides in 2011, when Matthews made his big call, working harder than ever and improving out of sight. Another huge aspect of player payments is their marketing value, and no one at Collingwood was more heavily marketed than Daisy, a 300K contract could have been justified on that aspect alone.

The Average AFL player earns around 250K, so Collingwood effectively told Daisy he was an 'average' player. That there were about 300 guys in the league better than him. If that doesn’t say "Pis$ off!" I don't know what does.

And then there's his foot. Collingwood & Carlton had the same knowledge about his medical profile, Collingwood decided he was finished, Carlton decided he was fine. As it turns out Carlton was right, he's played each round this season, and while he started slowly, having to acquire match fitness AND get used to a new team, he has been improving each week until the Collingwood game. Against West Coast his run and courage were to the fore and according to Carlton (I was never talking about the Carlton supporters, who are known to be morons, I was talking about the club & his teammates) his leadership, attitude & sense of humour were appreciated by those around him just as they were at Collingwood. He WILL get back to his best sometime this season, and Collingwood will look foolish for letting him go without even the pretense of a fight.
I'm still waiting to hear from anyone who would stay at a club where he wasn't wanted by the coach, for 250K, rather than go to one where he WAS wanted by everyone and at 700K.

Finally, it is true that I don't know Dale personally, however someone close to me does, and knows for a fact that he did NOT want to leave Collingwood. I'm not going to give details to a bunch of hostile fools I don't know, and nothing above is based on that, the plain facts speak for themselves. Thomas will be one of Carlton's best by year's end, and being only 26 there is no reason whatsoever to believe that he won't continue to improve. Ablett is improving at age 30, and Swanny had his best seasons at 28/29.

Finally, I did not, nor have I ever, advocated getting Mick back once he had left the Westpac, what I DID say was that if the succession plan never happened we could well have won 3 to 5 flags on end. We lost the 2011 GF because of that plan, and Malthouse was at his best when he was dumped. The 2011 H&A season was arguably our best ever, and even in 2012 we won ten straight for the second year running. The ordinary season we had in 2013 was certainly a result of the succession plan, and it is only because of the sheer talent of our list, and the brilliance of Hine & the recruiting plan that we continue to be finals hopefuls. Without a great coach however, it is hard to imagine us regularly beating the likes of Hawthorn, Geelong and Port.

Perhaps Buckley will get there one day, but NO ONE in the footy world believes he is there yet. A great coach is what gets you things like consistency, and helps overcome things like our awful shooting for goal, and our last quarter fades and poor starts. Buckley has done some good things strategically, but tactically, in the cut & thrust of game day, he has a way to go. At least he is getting closer to having the players with him, but his failure in that vital area in his first few years cost us a slew of damn good players. I am seeing signs that the incredible series of blunders between 2011 and 2013 might be slowing down, and the all-important player unity we had in 2010/2011 might be returning somewhat. So far 2014 has gone better than anyone expected, but we have a helluva lot of improvement to get back to our very best (Eg: we haven't put together four good quarters so far this year). I also still believe, as I've said many times, that our best is the best there is. Our mids are the games best, and our forward and back lines can totally dominate just about anyone on their day. We SHOULD be atop the ladder, and we might yet get there, but we never should have left that spot.

I do hope this helps Flashman et al understand my position, and I did try to keep to words under 4 syllables, so good luck kiddies, and

GO PIES!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:43 pm

You might be right 35Forever, but my recollection was a bit different. My understanding was that Pies offer to Daisy was in the order of $450,000. That he accepted $700,000 elsewhere is perfectly reasonable. That he chose to go to Carlton is not acceptable. That he then made a few snide remarks about Bucks and Collingwood is a disgrace. He shat in his bed so now he must lie in it.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:48 pm

Is it just me or do others stop reading 35 forever's tripe after about 2 paragraphs?

Ever heard the saying 'never use a big word when a diminutive one will do'.

Stop trying to big note yourself mate. Move on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 9 of 18   

Jump to: