Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sack Buckley

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get too excited.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:59 am

cooldewd wrote:
themonk wrote:
Some of the stuff on here is terrible. Whether one thinks Bucks can coach or not is irrelevant, everyone is entitled to their opinion on that but to ridicule his playing career and blame him for not winning a flag is embarrassing. Mickey Gaffer has a medal, does this make him a better player than Buckley?

Buckley has won a brownlow, norm smith, 6 copeland trophies, played 260 games & was captain for 8 seasons , show some respect people.

Embarassed

The perennially jealous underachievers in life (of which there are a number on this board) are always jealous of high achievers in life.

It is a constant reminder of their worthless existence.

I don't blame them being miserable and jealous towards Bucks, but they should at least be open about their reasons.

Ultimately, none of those let go by Buckley (with the exception of Beams) has played better football at their new club than what they did in their peak at the Pies.

Wellers is playing better this year, but Wellers netted us Grundy thank you very much.

Dawes netted us Broomhead - I am happy with that.

Shaw got us Adams. That was much needed.

Lamumba got us Varcoe - simply brilliant.

Beams (a sad loss) - but we got De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood. Stupendous trading in a bad situation.

Thomas has been useless at the Blooz - and we parlayed the compo pick to get Scharenberg who will be a star.

Didak, Ball and Jolly were finished.

I am excited that we have managed to largely rebuild our list without bottoming out.

I seem to remember 2004/05 we were bottom feeding and in 2004, all we had to show for our suffering was Chris Egan!

We are on the path to glory brothers and sisters. 2017/18 will be our time.

An outstanding post, and correct in all respects. Buckley was a majestic player, he is an outstanding communicator, and one of life's high achievers. He does not have a premiership medal around his neck because he left Port Adelaide and Brisbane to join Collingwood. Both of the other two clubs won premierships in his time, despite his own Norm Smith-winning performance for our club, in a losing team. He has bled for this club in many ways, and we owe him every benefit of every doubt. Carringbush Cigar's comments are loathsome and unworthy of a Collingwood supporter.

Buckley has two more years in my view before I will even begin to ask the question. I don't think he wil need it, but life is uncertain, so that's what I'd be prepared to give him.

E 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:17 am

Interesting thoughts. I think the one knock on Buckley is that he can be a polarizing figure. He certainly has a team that appears to be on his side and until 4-5 weeks ago you would have said that his transformation of the team has looked truly remarkable.

The last 3-4 weeks have been perplexing to me, although interestingly, the same thing appears to be happening to the kids of Greater Western Sydney so maybe it can be explained away by youth. The idea that a Darcy Moore would look too light for AFL or a Jordan De Goey would look tired half way through a season will surely not happen in the future.

However, this problem does not appear to be happening at Whitten Oval and that makes me ask questions. Are the dogs a couple of years older than us in terms of general development. I cant figure out why they appear to be firing on all cylinders and we are staggering.

I guess this is all to say that you cant forget how good we looked when the team was at full speed about 5 weeks ago. We looked superb. and that has to be a credit to Buckley.

If you can excuse the drop off by youth, then I think you are very happy with Bucks and if you cant, then you are looking for someone or something to blame for that drop off.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:59 am

E wrote:
Interesting thoughts. I think the one knock on Buckley is that he can be a polarizing figure.

I see this as a real positive. I would hate to have someone who is universally liked because that means he is trying to please everyone ALL the time. Impossible to achieve great results with this attitude because it means not upsetting anyone at anytime by bending with the breeze. He is NOT a bloody politician.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:06 am

E wrote:
Interesting thoughts. I think the one knock on Buckley is that he can be a polarizing figure. He certainly has a team that appears to be on his side and until 4-5 weeks ago you would have said that his transformation of the team has looked truly remarkable.

The last 3-4 weeks have been perplexing to me, although interestingly, the same thing appears to be happening to the kids of Greater Western Sydney so maybe it can be explained away by youth. The idea that a Darcy Moore would look too light for AFL or a Jordan De Goey would look tired half way through a season will surely not happen in the future.

However, this problem does not appear to be happening at Whitten Oval and that makes me ask questions. Are the dogs a couple of years older than us in terms of general development. I cant figure out why they appear to be firing on all cylinders and we are staggering.

I guess this is all to say that you cant forget how good we looked when the team was at full speed about 5 weeks ago. We looked superb. and that has to be a credit to Buckley.

If you can excuse the drop off by youth, then I think you are very happy with Bucks and if you cant, then you are looking for someone or something to blame for that drop off.

Well said, sums up the situation perfectly.

Doggies are 1-2 years ahead in their rebuild. They started after 2010 finals. Add the fact they've subsequently finished 10th, 15th, 15th, and 14th and gotten access to some very high draft picks.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:06 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
uncanny wrote:
Stick with Bucks and have a look at the position this time next year.
It has been frustrating to lose all those games in the last two months but at least we have matched it with the top sides. Better than the last couple of year. Looking for improvement in results in the big games next year and optimistic that it will come.

So what's the point of matching it with the top sides then getting beaten by the shit sides?

Is that saying that Buckley can't coach a winning team, only one who can compete against better opposition? The performances since the bye have been absolutely disgraceful and even the 1 win was hardly worth celebrating given how badly Carlton get beaten by everyone else!

Its clear this club is going nowhere under Buckley and its better to make a change when there is still some upside rather than wait another couple of years, then have to completely rebuild because we have no top level senior players left anymore...

Wow - you wouldn't understand progress if it smacked you in the face.

Even HAW, SWANS, FREO have had shockers this year.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:17 pm

E wrote:

Regarding the Bulldogs, I'm reserving judgement until they show they can play at the G as well as they do at Etihad.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:34 pm

dalyc wrote:
E wrote:

Regarding the Bulldogs, I'm reserving judgement until they show they can play at the G as well as they do at Etihad.

If the sneaky bastards hadn't snared Bottempelli just before our pick, I reckon we'd be sitting pretty in the top 4.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:41 pm

The English language and spelling has has been murdered in the last page of this thread.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:42 pm

ronrat wrote:
The English language and spelling has has been murdered in the last page of this thread.

Making it pretty much the same as every other page on the site.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:06 pm

ThePieMind wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
uncanny wrote:
It has been frustrating to lose all those games in the last two months but at least we have matched it with the top sides. Better than the last couple of year. Looking for improvement in results in the big games next year and optimistic that it will come.

So what's the point of matching it with the top sides then getting beaten by the shit sides?

Is that saying that Buckley can't coach a winning team, only one who can compete against better opposition? The performances since the bye have been absolutely disgraceful and even the 1 win was hardly worth celebrating given how badly Carlton get beaten by everyone else!

Its clear this club is going nowhere under Buckley and its better to make a change when there is still some upside rather than wait another couple of years, then have to completely rebuild because we have no top level senior players left anymore...

So you want to compare us to clubs who have a winning culture and sit in the top 4? Nothing wrong with some shockers, we had 3 in the first half of the year and sat high up on the ladder at the halfway mark.

What happened after that was a couple of tough losses where we showed we can't beat the top sides even when everything goes our way, then we have played absolutely shit ever since then, maybe the coach has lost the players? Maybe the players dropped their heads realising they can't compete with the top sides?

But I don't see how you can call it progress finishing the same spot on the ladder as last season, the exact same 2nd half of the year fadeout as last season and still no ability to win against top or middle of the road sides? We have beaten the worst 6 sides in the comp and GWS, that's it!

I was excited at the halfway point, we had 3-4 tough games but the rest was looking pretty easy and there was no reason to not play finals and even give the top 4 a crack, so what happened? Surely at some point we have to forget that Buckley is a legend of the club and actually look at his performances? Surely progress should see us move up the ladder?

As you said, the top sides all have shit performances every now and then, sometimes the shit teams push them or even beat them, but those shit sides remain shit because they are flukes. They cannot sustain it against the middle of the road sides and at the moment, that's where we are. Smash the bottom sides, push the top sides then get humiliated against the middle of the road teams. We are lucky the bottom 6 is so bad because we are only just above them at the moment.

Realistically we would have been better off totally bottoming out than sitting 11th year after year...
Dangles 

Balmey Army

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:56 pm

dalyc wrote:
E wrote:

Huge game for them this week in Perth. If they can snag a win I think a lot of people are going to sit up and take notice of them.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:06 am

ThePieMind wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
uncanny wrote:

so, who here tipped port?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:05 am

Dangles wrote:
dalyc wrote:
E wrote:

Huge game for them this week in Perth. If they can snag a win I think a lot of people are going to sit up and take notice of them.

Huge game for everyone else - if the Wiggles win, they can be very confident that Hawthorn will have to travel to Perth for its first final.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:11 am

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:

Well said, sums up the situation perfectly.

Doggies are 1-2 years ahead in their rebuild. They started after 2010 finals. Add the fact they've subsequently finished 10th, 15th, 15th, and 14th and gotten access to some very high draft picks.

2 great posts.

It's hard though, fact is, it takes so long, so much gets invested, and then it may all come to naught. Certainly only just losing to teams like hawthorn, has to give you faith, but then the losses to the likes of Melbourne, ugh, testing testing one two three. I can see where Buckley is heading, what he's aiming for. I just hope the players picked are up to it.his level of discipline is not for everybody.

And I still reckon our players are soft, and have it too easy! And no I can't explain that! It just irks me to see them walk off after a close loss and not looking shattered! I want them to hurt, the way I'm hurting when it happens!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
Page 9 of 118   

Jump to: