Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

In defence of OUR coach

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 3:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Varcoe and Sier (and Goodyear)? That's the world beating trio to complement Treloar?

I agree re: Barlow (in the past, but now struggling), and the others ... but you can't have an entire engine of them anymore. Hawks are struggling in the midfield this season outside of Mitchell (Lewis is having a shocker), Freo are 0-7 with their one-paced midfield (they have Bennell to look forward to though, but Hill is more a winger). Face it, our team is slow as f***.

I agree we need more speed in the team. Doesn't help that on the weekend Sinclair, Ramsay, Williams, Varcoe, and Elliott were all sitting in the stands and Broomy copped an ankle during the game as they do bring pace. Still, can only recruit who is available when your pick comes so I remain optimistic on both Goodyear and Sier. Time will tell.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
Pretty sure you were saying that he had the worst coaching record in Collingwood history before, weren't you Bob?

Not me, but since you brought it up he can't be far off the mark.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:34 pm

My two cents

- like others I am an unabridged fun of Buckley as a player. My favourite of all-time. I want him to succeed.

- I suspect the players do like Bucks and admire his professionalism. I think Adams, Treloar, Howe chose Collingwood because of Buckley. I think Cloke genuinely likes Bucks too. I really don't doubt that he 'has the players' on his side

- I can see merit in the players we let go -Thomas, Wellingham, Dawes, Seedsman even Shaw who needed the change.

- I actually rate our list pretty highly

but
- I suspect the coaching staff are inadequate communicators to a team of footballers. Bucks sounds great in the media with all of his stats to back up why we aren't performing, but is he an effective motivator? Can he delineate a game plan in a fashion which can be followed? It wouldn't seem so based upon our progressive performances. Do the players seek clarification regularly from Scott Burns because they don't understand what Bucks has instructed them, as has been suggested to me? I think we look slow and have poor skills because of uncertainty and panic rather than a lack of effort or attention to detail.

- Are our strength and conditioning staff effective? I suspect not, but Davoren seems as adept as Buckley is as explaining, with stats, why we're just out of luck.......again this season. It really hurts us

- Is our leadership team effective? is Scott Pendlebury an effective leader, other than via his playing excellence? Macaffer and Brown can't get a game, Steele seems an introvert, Adams is young. Looks like Cotchin and Murphy replicated - elite players but less-effective and not natural leaders and with little support

- Which players have improved under Buckley's reign? Fasolo? Elliott? Steele? Do we have adequate development capability amongst our coaching staff?

- Our team is young, but that is largely of Buckley and Hine's shaping. Has Nathan underestimated the extent to which physical maturity and continuity of personnel is required to be a competitive playing force?

I do not have definitive answers, as an outsider, but have my strong suspicions.

I really think that, with this list, we could have made the top eight this year with a more effective coaching effort in place. I certainly hope we show substantial improvement, but at present, I find the task of watching our inept performances too much to sit through.

I'd love Bucks and the Pies to succeed, but i suspect we will not under his command.

SaraNeighed Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:13 pm

we are 2 wins 5 losses , we are really bad and keep getting worse every year.

furthermore more players have regressed than improved.

also we play a really slow ugly game of footy.

I loved Heath and daisy and Harry O.

a coach that can't get the best out of a diverse group of humans is not a coach.

Buckley wants stereotypes...

sorry I can't defend him, I like diversity, exciting footy and I sorta like winning.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:52 pm

SaraNeighed wrote:
we are 2 wins 5 losses , we are really bad and keep getting worse every year.

furthermore more players have regressed than improved.

also we play a really slow ugly game of footy.

I loved Heath and daisy and Harry O.

a coach that can't get the best out of a diverse group of humans is not a coach.

Buckley wants stereotypes...

sorry I can't defend him, I like diversity, exciting footy and I sorta like winning.

I to loved Heater, Daisy and H but I disagree that Buck's wants stereotypes and that was why they left. If you look at the departures from the club since Buck's assumed the No1 coaching role they fall into 2 distinct groups for the purposes of this discussion. Those that wanted out for whatever reason, and those who were helped reach their decision to move on. Can't do much about those who wanted out like Daisy, Wellers, Dawes, and Beams. They had their reasons. But those who were helped likely provide the genesis for this belief that Bucks wants stereotypes. Yet the evidence doesn't support that.

The poster boy for different types playing AFL is clearly Swanny and from what I've seen Bucks loves him and embraces his difference. Where Swanny differs from Heater, H, and Seedsman is that his persona doesn't impact his professionalism as an AFL footballer. It appears from the outside looking in that Heater, H and Seedsman were all embraced while their footy was to the expected standard.

Sadly, Heater got to the stage where his on-field performances were having a negative effect on team performances. H was so distracted by his issues that his on-field performance deteriorated. Seedsman failed to heed repeated warnings to rein in his party antics and the final straw came when those same antics derailed his rehab from injury causing him to be unnecessarily unavailable.

So rather than Buck's only accepting stereotypes, I'd say rather that he wants only players who perform, the more senior the player, the higher the expectation to perform. Completely different thing.
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
My two cents

- like others I am an unabridged fun of Buckley as a player. My favourite of all-time. I want him to succeed.

- I suspect the players do like Bucks and admire his professionalism. I think Adams, Treloar, Howe chose Collingwood because of Buckley. I think Cloke genuinely likes Bucks too. I really don't doubt that he 'has the players' on his side

- I can see merit in the players we let go -Thomas, Wellingham, Dawes, Seedsman even Shaw who needed the change.

but
- I suspect the coaching staff are inadequate communicators to a team of footballers. Bucks sounds great in the media with all of his stats to back up why we aren't performing, but is he an effective motivator? Can he delineate a game plan in a fashion which can be followed? It wouldn't seem so based upon our progressive performances. Do the players seek clarification regularly from Scott Burns because they don't understand what Bucks has instructed them, as has been suggested to me? I think we look slow and have poor skills because of uncertainty and panic rather than a lack of effort or attention to detail.

- Are our strength and conditioning staff effective? I suspect not, but Davoren seems as adept as Buckley is as explaining, with stats, why we're just out of luck.......again this season. It really hurts us

- Is our leadership team effective? is Scott Pendlebury an effective leader, other than via his playing excellence? Macaffer and Brown can't get a game, Steele seems an introvert, Adams is young. Looks like Cotchin and Murphy replicated - elite players but less-effective and not natural leaders and with little support

- Which players have improved under Buckley's reign? Fasolo? Elliott? Steele? Do we have adequate development capability amongst our coaching staff?

- Our team is young, but that is largely of Buckley and Hine's shaping. Has Nathan underestimated the extent to which physical maturity and continuity of personnel is required to be a competitive playing force?

I do not have definitive answers, as an outsider, but have my strong suspicions.

I really think that, with this list, we could have made the top eight this year with a more effective coaching effort in place. I certainly hope we show substantial improvement, but at present, I find the task of watching our inept performances too much to sit through.

I'd love Bucks and the Pies to succeed, but i suspect we will not under his command.

I agree Sad

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:56 am

Someone just bring this kid to where he belongs. He has Collingwood written all over him.....

thumbnail_christian_petracca_nathan_buckley_620[1].jpg

C. Petracca

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 6:34 am

yin-YANG wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:
My two cents

but

I agree Sad

Yep, great post. What I have been saying, they look confused like the plan goes against the grain of normal football. (Ie the lack of manning up).

Bad luck with injuries? Nope it's been too long, too many, what happened to the review a season ago? What's changed?

My feelings on the leadership is known!

And I agree, there is not a lot wrong with the list a good coaching team, and a good conditioning team couldn't fix. We have the money, the facilities, and yet we play like a welfare team. Why?

Jez07 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:09 pm

I speak to someone who supports the club through thick and thin who has a nephew playing for the Giants.

He watches Collingwood every week without fail. He also watches and speaks to his nephew.

His conclusion on watching Collingwood is he doesn't see any discernible gameplan. There is no system of play, there is no brand. He said an analogy is it's like recess at school when the kids are kicking everywhere with no purpose.

He then said he watches his nephew. He can see an indentifable game plan and system, when young players come in, they play a role, and when they play NEAFL, the same systems operate there as they do in the seniors.

As a guide, last week he decided to watch the VFL game. He told me that there is also no system of play there, the gameplan is non existent and players are in a state of confusement on what they are to do. He also said during training, the players are grouped in zones. They rarely play on, it is very stop start and it is like circle work in the 80's.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Jez07 wrote:
I speak to someone who supports the club through thick and thin who has a nephew playing for the Giants.

He watches Collingwood every week without fail. He also watches and speaks to his nephew.

His conclusion on watching Collingwood is he doesn't see any discernible gameplan. There is no system of play, there is no brand. He said an analogy is it's like recess at school when the kids are kicking everywhere with no purpose.

He then said he watches his nephew. He can see an indentifable game plan and system, when young players come in, they play a role, and when they play NEAFL, the same systems operate there as they do in the seniors.

As a guide, last week he decided to watch the VFL game. He told me that there is also no system of play there, the gameplan is non existent and players are in a state of confusement on what they are to do. He also said during training, the players are grouped in zones. They rarely play on, it is very stop start and it is like circle work in the 80's.

So you are Tony Shaw's missus - now it all makes sense!

If they sacked your hubby after crap results they should sack Nathan.

Bring the rest of the club down with your vengeance woman scorn!
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:27 pm

5150 wrote:
Jez07 wrote:

I had to laugh Laughing

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 12:32 pm

5150 wrote:

Aha!! That makes far more sense than anything else this newbie has said.. Razz Twisted Evil

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 3:55 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Someone just bring this kid to where he belongs. He has Collingwood written all over him.....

yeah, sad isn't it, I recall both Diperdemenico and Dermie were Magpies fanatics, Dipper was even in the cheersquad. Imagine those two at the Pies at the peak of their powers, would have turned club history on its head. Surprised

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Jez07 wrote:

I speak to a guy who supports the club through thick and thin. None of his kids or relatives play for anyone of note.

He watches porn a lot. He said watching what the umpires do to the CFC bears a close approximation to his other viewing choices.

He also said injuries are killing the club at the moment so you'd expect a team full of inexperienced kids to struggle to hold prescribed structures and deliver the game plan across 4 quarters.

Go figure!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:14 pm

jackcass wrote:
Jez07 wrote:

I speak to a guy who supports the club through thick and thin. None of his kids or relatives play for anyone of note.

He watches porn a lot. He said watching what the umpires do to the CFC bears a close approximation to his other viewing choices.

He also said injuries are killing the club at the moment so you'd expect a team full of inexperienced kids to struggle to hold prescribed structures and deliver the game plan across 4 quarters.

Go figure!

It is so funny... we trade out a lot of experienced players and get some young kids.
And when we are not winning we blurt out that we have a lot of young kids.
Now isn't that strange as the object of the game is to win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11   

Jump to: