Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Heritier Lumumba about to launch a broadside at the club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:33 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.

That's true however I'm happy to have a wager on the said context.

It'd take some exceptional circumstance to tip the scales away from it being offensive, but (a) it's conceivable ; and (b) unless you think Maxwell is a liar, it is surprising that H did not take exception to it at the time, given his known views even at that time. So it seems strange, to say the least, unless the context was extenuating.

Given what Shae McNamara has tweeted I've come to collect Wink That'll be one latte with a dash of chardonnay thank you very much.

I don't think Shae McNamara's tweet proves anything, other than it was said by a few players, which is not disputed. It says nothing about how the nickname came to be used, or what it signified at the time between the parties involved as a result. It only says that McNamara counselled others against saying it, because he saw that it could be interpreted as a racial epithet (which is clearly true). It may have been borderline malicious, for all I know, or it may have been mates clowning about something that was understood between them, at the time, as having nothing to do with race.

What I do know is that someone who appoints themselves an "educator" in life is often someone best avoided.

Yes, yes entirely.

Make that a small one though, don't like the larger coffee's though

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:39 am

September Zeros wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
September Zeros wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ All meaning depends on context. You rightly take certain wider context into account in decoding "chimp" to mean something racist, yet you deny context when it might disconfirm that it was so. Can't have it both ways.

That's true however I'm happy to have a wager on the said context.

Regardless of your willingness to wager - Context is not only absolutely relevant, it is unknown, but you watch the context be dismissed and the club get thrown under a bus- thanks to catchy one liners from the book of SJW's.

case in point - "casual racism" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Don't tell me this release has not been planned for some time - just prior to finals- how miraculous. And don't tell me there's not a certain media group helping drive the wagon of "shame". Its just a pity for H we missed out on finals and the impact of this will be ZERO. In fact he has done us a favor in doing it now so as not to impact 2018.

Have your say H and then take your divisive ideals and kindly move on.

You are making lots of points six points but who are you talking to?

Have I mentioned casual racism?

Have I mentioned its not certain media groups?

Have I mentioned shame?

Wpt I really only quoted you for your mention of wager ....in that you seemed confident the name chimp had been used racially, The rest is general chit chat.

Shae's given us his opinion. Lock it in. David mentioned much earlier words to the effect that when you're new etc that it can be difficult to express one's true feelings to fit in etc, It could be easier to let things slide etc.

I don't think for one minute that other players are or were necessarily overtly racist but I think this might represent a type of (dare I say it) insightless casual racism (not intended by the sayer to cause harm / hurt) but oblivious & perhaps unthinking of the harm it might cause.

I think this to be true of Ed's unfortunate use the term "King Kong" role for Adam Goodes when he was with the boys all those years ago: unthinking & insightless.

Having said that I'm still disgusted at the fawning acquiescence of Cricket Australia (that Sutherland scumbag) and the appalling behaviour not just by Harbijhan Singh but also Sachin Tendulkar when Harbi disparagingly called Roy a Monkey. That was said with malice & stands in contrast to the Harry O incident.

All fair . All I ask is for the whole story before the world becomes morally outraged and starts throwing around highground cliches. It's not too much ask I don't think. Now we have a couple of testimonies in the negative.

Collingwood perhaps should come forward ... apologise to H for the past, show where it has moved forward and progressed as a club re these matters in our recent past.

Then we should all move on. Including H. Do you think he will / would?

I wouldn't know. All we got was an excerpt to deal with. I hope Harry O gets his life on track & learns to deal in a positive way with his (dare I say) demons. I leave the fuchsias to others.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:24 pm

More From H
Published in Zero Hanger and is based on a Facebook Post

"Heritier Lumumbahas taken yet another swipe at former club, Collingwood in a Facebook post in Thursday morning.
Followingnewsthat emerged last week that Lumumba has hit out at his former side asa boys club for racist and sexist jokes in an upcoming documentary, the ex-Pie and Demon is in the headlines once again, following a social media post directed at the Collingwood Football Club.
Lumumba, who retired from AFL at the end of last season due to concussion, also criticised the AFL and the AFLPlayers Association.
Read Lumumbas full Facebook post below:
The nickname Chimp, that was used during my time at the Collingwood Football Club is just one of countless examples of institutionalized racism within the AFL.
The systematic nature of racism in the AFL is evident in the operation of Recruitment and List Management departments of football clubs; the management ofplayersby agents; the AFLs failure to protect its highest profile Aboriginal player,Adam Goodes, from ongoing racism that effectively ended his career; the AFLand Collingwood Football Clubs failure to sanction or penalise Eddie McGuire following his comments comparingAdam Goodesto an ape.
Furthermore,playerslike Joel Wilkinson, who have been direct victims of racism, have been threatened and silenced when their experience disrupts the AFLs comfortable multicultural narrative, along with having their recruitment and careers jeopardized for speaking out.
It is disappointing that so far the Collingwood Football Club have chosen to minimise and dismiss my experiences. Im further disappointed, but not entirely surprised, that the AFL and the AFLPlayers Association have made no comment whatsoever about the issues I have raised.
I am grateful to theplayersand former teammates who have stood by me and confirmed my story like Shae McNamara. I also recently spoke to Leon Davis, who said Your experiences of racism at Collingwood were a continuation of my own experiences at the club. I stand side by side with you.
Lumumba played 199 games with Collingwood from 2005 to 204, before falling out with the club and moving to Melbourne, where he played 24 games in two seasons."

How many times does he need to repeat himself. I just hope this dies down over the next couple of months and we never hear of him again.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:41 pm

I still have very fond memories of H, his shining moment was kicking the absolute sealer in the GF replay, and sinking to his knees, wow, what a moment, we knew we had the flag then, one for the ages.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Kwah-LeBaire 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:49 pm

I feel really sorry for H.

I grew up with the burden of an unspellable, unpronounceable Polish surname. I went to school with a dominant group of Irish Catholic farm boys, who werent going to allow a Polish Kraut to sully the neighbourhood without contributing a few comments or the occasional punch to the side of the head.

When I went to my mother to complain, she said, quietly: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. She was, you see, part of the Old Insensitivity. It comes as no surprise that some of the modern paragons of the New Sensitivity want to drag her out of the nursing home where she has been hiding for years, and beat her to death, as an example to the rest of us of what can happen to insensitive people.

My father was sixteen when the Nazis marched into Poland. They shot my grandfather and threw my father into the back of a truck. He was taken to Germany to labour as a slave for six years. He never talked about his experiences, so I dont know if anyone called him names. When he was dying, he said to me that his great wish was that, when he was young, someone had called him Chimp and given him so much money that he could afford to retire in his thirties and live in America without having to look for a job.

You just cant please these European refugees, not if they were part of the Old Insensitivity, too.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:02 pm

September Zeros wrote:

The club should apologise, H should accept. And then he should move on.

One of these will never happen.

that would be good, but hopefully all three happen!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 pm

If you were him would you do that?
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:08 pm

Kwah-LeBaire wrote:
I feel really sorry for H.

I grew up with the burden of an unspellable, unpronounceable Polish surname. I went to school with a dominant group of Irish Catholic farm boys, who werent going to allow a Polish Kraut to sully the neighbourhood without contributing a few comments or the occasional punch to the side of the head.

When I went to my mother to complain, she said, quietly: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. She was, you see, part of the Old Insensitivity. It comes as no surprise that some of the modern paragons of the New Sensitivity want to drag her out of the nursing home where she has been hiding for years, and beat her to death, as an example to the rest of us of what can happen to insensitive people.

My father was sixteen when the Nazis marched into Poland. They shot my grandfather and threw my father into the back of a truck. He was taken to Germany to labour as a slave for six years. He never talked about his experiences, so I dont know if anyone called him names. When he was dying, he said to me that his great wish was that, when he was young, someone had called him Chimp and given him so much money that he could afford to retire in his thirties and live in America without having to look for a job.

You just cant please these European refugees, not if they were part of the Old Insensitivity, too.

There is a bit of a gem hidden in there.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Racism clearly is not acceptable in any club let alone society. In many ways its sporting community's / team mates who have been ahead of the curve in dealing with these issues. Thats not to say they will always get it right or that "casual Racism" is any more acceptable.

The difference between the two is intent. This dosent make it any better but does allow for education, understanding and a chance to sincerely apologise.

What I struggle with though is H and his history. He has form in behaviours that contradict his zero tolerance stance in sexism and has made public statements that have made you wonder "what the hell?".

What he is now saying is that former team mates were racist towards him and that the club did nothing about it. If he is so certain of his convictions then Id like him to name the player/players. Id like him to be specific about who from the clubs administration knew about it and did nothing.

Given that the club lead by Pert, challenged the AFL industry regarding drugs, I couldn't understand how or why they would want to sweep something like this under the carpet.

H played just under 200 games and most of them were under Malthouse - where does his responsibility lie ?

H and the footy world were certain that the Dees got the best out of his trade and that Buckleys management skills lost us an important player. Im not sure H is happy with history reflecting that this trade was a great decision by the club.

There are many ways to challenge history to ensure we learn from our mistakes / opportunities. All I can see is vindictiveness a struggle for attention and relevance which unfortunately lends doubt to where the game / our club is actually at when it comes to racism and his experience.

If Im a former team mate of his and done nothing wrong Id be feeling more than a little upset about the accusation.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:39 pm

I'm a migrant (many moons ago) to this beautiful country of Australia, being born in Sri Lanka. To my mind, Harry has bloody huge pappadums, one on each of his shoulders. To be offended by a name like "chimp" in a male dominated footy environment shows that at the very least, he is extremely thin skinned. At worst, he is a wus. I happen to love chimps btw.
I believe that offence is taken, not given and that like all such situations, its a personal choice one takes. If you dont look for a solution, you are part of the problem. My solution was to use humour, when relevant or to let the fire burn itself out by refusing to participate in this "naming game".
I once found myself in a work meeting with an indigenous family that after a while, referred to me as a coconut. Thinking it was a remark about my very short hair at the time, I laughed with them, but this seemed to upset them more! After the meeting, I mentioned this to a colleague who informed me that coconut was a racial term meaning that I was brown on the outside but white on the inside! As from then onwards, I referred to myself as the coconut at every single meeting with this family and it became a bit of a stale joke. They stopped using it very soon!!
I also played competitive cricket for over 45 years. Cutting to the chase, I was called far more seriously racist names in many games, especially when I batted. I just either laughed my arse off or gave back smart arse answers and they seemed to be surprised at my reaction. The best response was to score big runs but I did not always do this! After the game in those old days, it was the norm to have a beer with the opposition. It was all good. I guess this was all before bloody political correctness invaded our lives and this current notion that one MUST get upset with anything said that is outside the "acceptable box" for someone. I must have been born on another planet because mostly, I always refused to be categorised and preferred to think outside of the box. It has worked for me all my life. Humans are a varied species and however much you try; the reality is that both evil and blessed goodness will always find themselves rooming together at some stage. Sometimes evil/vilification wins, sometimes the goodness/making someone take accountability for being bad wins or mostly it ends in a draw.
Anyway, I think Harry is playing the victim/racist card which is the easiest thing to do but the hardest to confirm the solid evidence and accuracy, especially after a few years. Also it is a haven for much exaggeration to make the story a greater hit with others with a victim mentality.
He is entitled to his opinion as am I. Im certain that most here will probably agree to strongly disagree with me but thats totally fine with me. Ill go share a joke with a mate rather than choose to be offended or to feel personally vilified: lol: Cool

Last edited by Lazza on Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 pm

Lazza wrote:
I'm a migrant (many moons ago) to this beautiful country of Australia, being born in Sri Lanka. To my mind, Harry has bloody huge pappadums, one on both each of his shoulders. To be offended by a name like "chimp" in a male dominated footy environment shows that at the very least, he is extremely thin skinned. At worst, he is a wus. I happen to love chimps btw.
I believe that offence is taken, not given and that like all such situations, its a personal choice one takes. If you dont look for a solution, you are part of the problem. My solution was to use humour, when relevant or to let the fire burn itself out by refusing to participate in this "naming game".
I once found myself in a work meeting with an indigenous family that after a while, referred to me as a coconut. Thinking it was a remark about my very short hair at the time, I laughed with them, but this seemed to upset them more! After the meeting, I mentioned this to a colleague who informed me that coconut was a racial term meaning that I was brown on the outside but white on the inside! As from then onwards, I referred to myself as the coconut at every single meeting with this family and it became a bit of a stale joke. They stopped using it very soon!!
I also played competitive cricket for over 45 years. Cutting to the chase, I was called far more seriously racist names in many games, especially when I batted. I just either laughed my arse off or gave back smart arse answers and they seemed to be surprised at my reaction. The best response was to score big runs but I did not always do this! After the game in those old days, it was the norm to have a beer with the opposition. It was all good. I guess this was all before bloody political correctness invaded our lives and this current notion that one MUST get upset with anything said that is outside the "acceptable box" for someone. I must have been born on another planet because mostly, I always refused to be categorised and preferred to think outside of the box. It has worked for me all my life. Humans are a varied species and however much you try; the reality is that both evil and blessed goodness will always find themselves rooming together at some stage. Sometimes evil/vilification wins, sometimes the goodness/making someone take accountability for being bad wins or mostly it ends in a draw.
Anyway, I think Harry is playing the victim/racist card which is the easiest thing to do but the hardest to confirm the solid evidence and accuracy, especially after a few years. Also it is a haven for much exaggeration to make the story a greater hit with others with a victim mentality.
He is entitled to his opinion as am I. Im certain that most here will probably agree to strongly disagree with me but thats totally fine with me. Ill go share a joke with a mate rather than choose to be offended or to feel personally vilified: lol: Cool

I liked that story.
Member 7167 Leo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
Didn't H himself make a joke at the members club function in front of 3000+ at the Plennary back in 2013 , about giving the girls "his meat"

Yes and it was very cringe worthy at the time and was just plain off. The Collingwood members that heard it were somewhat dumbfounded at the time.

It is interesting that he never mentions this with any remorse. He is more than happy to lament over what has been said to him and now interprets these comments in the most negative manner but I am sure he will never apologise for the things he has said and done to others.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:22 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Collingwood 4 eternity wrote:
Didn't H himself make a joke at the members club function in front of 3000+ at the Plennary back in 2013 , about giving the girls "his meat"

Yes and it was very cringe worthy at the time and was just plain off. The Collingwood members that heard it were somewhat dumbfounded at the time.

It is interesting that he never mentions this with any remorse. He is more than happy to lament over what has been said to him and now interprets these comments in the most negative manner but I am sure he will never apologise for the things he has said and done to others.

This whole thing reeks of self indulgence and self righteousness and I doubt he'll confront his own faults, sexism and misogyny. Yet he seems more than happy to blame everyone else for what's wrong. He ain't no martyr.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:26 pm

Lazza wrote:
I'm a migrant (many moons ago) to this beautiful country of Australia, being born in Sri Lanka. To my mind, Harry has bloody huge pappadums, one on each of his shoulders. To be offended by a name like "chimp" in a male dominated footy environment shows that at the very least, he is extremely thin skinned. At worst, he is a wus. I happen to love chimps btw.

I must be in the minority. I strongly agree with you!
Luigitheunbelievable 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi Folks.
Lazza, you can have a beer with me anytime! You're an Aussie, mate.
Good story.
I was also called names at school. When I told my mother she laughed and told me the sticks and stones rhyme.
Never bothered me after that.
Regards to all. (and H).

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 34, 35, 36  Next
Page 9 of 36   

Jump to: