Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Magpies v. Power - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
^

Id rather go full tilt at winning this week against port in Melbourne and give Langdon and anyone else really sore 2 weeks off with the freo game and bye week before finals

Yeah, that does make sense. But I am worried about Langdon having a season ending injury if we play him when he is not right.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:42 pm

Pies - $1.40
Port - $2.95

I'm with the bookies, we will win this Cool

E 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:48 am

Pies2016 wrote:
E wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to replace Oxley with Murphy. I know it was his first game back after 2 yrs, but I don't think Oxley took a single mark, which is his main strength, and he is not overly quick. Murphy is just as good in the air but is faster and tougher.

I think you can make allowances for a player two years out of the game coming back to his first game against a difficult opponent in Brisbane with a tall forward line. I would expect him to improve against Port if he gets a game. It's interesting that it was mentioned that Marty Hore would have got a game against Brisbane had Marty been on our list. Nevertheless Oxley performed as expected and Buckley was happy with the performance of our backline. Murphy would be a risk playing against Port Adelaide who see the game as a final to them. Particularly challenging would be if Langdon can't play. That would be devastating for us if it happened.

In defence of Oxleys job security, the question I would ask is, did Oxley play his role in the back six when we gave up only 11 scoring shots after quarter time. ( I’m excluding the first quarter because our lack of pressure and inabilty to find the ball, put all our defenders under excessive pressure early in the game )
Not every defender needs to get a lot of the ball in order to fulfil their role.
I consider the Lions a pretty solid win, given the talent missing and I just don’t see why Oxley needs to lose his spot on the back of that team effort.
Also remember, that Murphy was the second youngest player picked in that draft. He is virtually a year younger than Stephenson.
Although I would have less issue with McLarty being picked than Murphy because that selection would suggest the brains trust felt they needed more height to unbalance Port.

I only saw him touch the ball a few times, but he made some bad decisions that directly resulted in goals. I didnt see him inluence too many contests in a positive way. Both he a Madgen are not really up to it. Madgen has the defense of youth and ineperience,,,,,,

Obviously nobody is calling these guys world beaters. They are getting a game because we have been decimated in the back half.
Everybody remembers the obvious errors where players are beaten in contests but I can guarantee most people don’t see ( or choose not to remember ) defenders blocking for team mates, the hand overs from players up the ground, the filling of space, the unrewarded running when we have the ball or the unfashionable paddle or spoil to the boundary line that allows us to reset.
Every defender in the AFL makes at least one blue during a game. The best defenders just make less than the Oxleys and Magdens of this world.
It’s a tough gig back there.

Very well put. In a lot of ways, a defender is expected to do all that perfectly because every single time he doesn't, its a costly error that we all complain about. It is a thankless job. So not noticing a defender is often enough of a reason to say that the defender did a fine job!

I notice Murray a lot from poor disposal

I notice Langdon a lot because my hearet goes into my mouth as he laconically assesses his options (although for the most part he makes the correct decision)

I noticed Young Brown a number of times because he would do things like kick a ball off the ground or kick over his shoulder in a manner that turned a 50/50 contest into a goal to the opoposition

I noticed Moore because he was often caught ball watching

i really noticed Madgen against Buddy because Buddy just did whatever he wanted

i noticed Oxley because he chose the wrong option a few times, i was nervouse when he had the ball and he seemed out of position quite a few times. Although if i really think about it, i didnt notice him that much....

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:22 am

E I think our defence has held up very well all year and particularly the past couple weeks when we've literally gone with basically a complete second string defence in terms of players having to play on oppostion talls
I'm not knocking any of the players but Madgen isn't AFL ready yet. He's a heck of a trier but his inexperience shows
Langdon at 190cm isn't built to play on oppostion key forwards again tries harder than hell but it's not what his built for. Like Scharenberg before him he's being asked to play a role to help the team and is doing the absolute bes the can
For mine Crisp and Maynard have been sensational they've really stepped up and assisted there team mates in defence out loads
Just off topic watching AFL 360 last night Bob Murphy was asked who he thought was the Tigers biggest threat in winning the premiership he said "I like Collingwood there the ones who I believe can really run with the Tigers and are best equipped to control them" he went on to say if they can get w couple players back don't write them off I see a lot of steel in this side that doesn't know when there beaten I like them a lot
I always liked Murphy thought he was decent player who played a life himself a lot but I wonder if he's just saying it because his good mate Noyd is with us or he really believes it
He seemed genuine in his appraisal and I believe he's actually right
I doubt though we are going to get enough troops back in time but you just never know with this group they just keep on showing up
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:44 am

Re defenders and Port, if you look at the Port game on the weekend, McGovern ( arguably the most valuable defender in the game ) was banished to the forward line after not doing his job in the first half.
It’s folklore that on the back of McGoverns switch to the forward line, he kicked the match winner after the siren. He virtually took an uncontested mark while THREE Port defenders and Robbie Gray stood around and waited for each other to compete against him. All a defender had to do was block his run at the ball or Robbie Gray fill the hole in front and internally, that player would have been hailed a hero.
Externally, no one would have a clue as to the match winning contribution that defender made.
Funny game, footy.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:54 am

The thing I find funny about this game is that the media narrative appears to be entirely focused on Ports injury concerns and implies this is a potential excuse for an impending loss and missing finals. Very little is mentioned on our injury front... maybe it's recency bias as Ports primary injuries came out of last round, but I think if you line the two injury lists up, ours has far more class and significance.

To me, this speaks to how well we have coped in the face of overwhelming adversity.

Some may write us off as premiership threats because of injury, but in the pressure world of finals footy, I reckon out game plan will hold up really well.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:21 am

Pies2016 wrote:
Re defenders and Port, if you look at the Port game on the weekend, McGovern ( arguably the most valuable defender in the game ) was banished to the forward line after not doing his job in the first half.
It’s folklore that on the back of McGoverns switch to the forward line, he kicked the match winner after the siren. He virtually took an uncontested mark while THREE Port defenders and Robbie Gray stood around and waited for each other to compete against him. All a defender had to do was block his run at the ball or Robbie Gray fill the hole in front and internally, that player would have been hailed a hero.
Externally, no one would have a clue as to the match winning contribution that defender made.
Funny game, footy.

With 3 mins to go, McGovern switched himself from CHB to CHF to provide a marking option and to help win the game.
He found himself getting manned up by Ebert. Tom Jonas, who was standing much deeper against a much smaller Rioli, gestured to Ebert to swap, but they hesitated and got caught out, even despite the stoppage occurring in the centre square. A big mistake/lack of leadership. Yeo handballs to Lycett, ball gets kicked forward and McGovern easily outpoints Ebert to mark and goal.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:33 am

Albert Parker wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
Funny game, footy.

With 3 mins to go, McGovern switched himself from CHB to CHF to provide a marking option and to help win the game.
He found himself getting manned up by Ebert. Tom Jonas, who was standing much deeper against a much smaller Rioli, gestured to Ebert to swap, but they hesitated and got caught out, even despite the stoppage occurring in the centre square. A big mistake/lack of leadership. Yeo handballs to Lycett, ball gets kicked forward and McGovern easily outpoints Ebert to mark and goal.

And there in lies the importance of team defence. The best defenders are smart and see the game unfolding before it happens. People don’t see hand overs or rollovers ( there is a difference ) occur up the ground. Well drilled defences seem to always find themselves competitive in one on ones, while poor team defences will continue to get caught out for height or speed.
As you reminded me, Ebert ends up being McGoverns undersized opponent while the bigger defenders were caught out around him. Gray was down there as the extra trying to save the game but didn’t know his role cause that’s not what he does.
There is so much pressure back there, defenders will always be made to look silly at some point but the trick is to have a back six that gels together enough to get the job done COLLECTIVELY.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:46 pm

Skids wrote:
After listening to Bucks post match, I doubt we'll be seeing Howe this week.

No change. (McLarty for Ox?)

Pies to finish Ports season, brutally.

45 points.

IF we can do that it could keep the door open to go past Dawk's percentage and kick them out of top 4 even if they win both their games (which I'd say is likely)
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 pm

perthmagpie wrote:
Liked Port before they joined the AFL. Then they tried to argue they should wear black and white and stripes! This from a club who changed its original colours to black and white. I have no warmth towards them anymore.
what were its original colors?
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Don't know about on paper but on grass we should be far too good in teh contest and tackle pressure for them. 30 points I'd say or we are not good enough this year anyway.
RudeBoy wrote:
I'd love to see McLarty come in, if only to see how he goes in the ones, in case we need to call upon him in the finals. The worry is, that he has not been playing as a defender in the VFL, rather, he's played up forward or in the ruck. With Dunn, Scharenberg, Moore and Reid all gone, we need to have a tall defender to call on.

Having said that, if Howe comes back, Bucks may prefer to simply replace Oxley, letting Madgen keep his spot.

On paper, especially given Port's injuries, we should beat Port.

My preference:

In: McLarty, Howe
Out: Oxley, Madgen

My expectation:
In: Howe
Out: Oxley

(I admit to having a soft spot for Port, dating back to their days as the Magpies of S.A.)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:06 pm

bokka wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:
Liked Port before they joined the AFL. Then they tried to argue they should wear black and white and stripes! This from a club who changed its original colours to black and white. I have no warmth towards them anymore.
what were its original colors?

Blue and white, then they added magenta

They played in those colours until 1901, adopting the black and white and the nickname The Magpies in 1902, 6 years after Collingwood.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/club/history/our-story

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Magenta.. lol
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:24 pm

No Change.

Interesting, they've named Ryder and Polec.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Skids wrote:
No Change.

Interesting, they've named Ryder and Polec.

And they also named ruckman Frampton as an emergency.
Clurey is also out injured for them. He’s one of their starting back six, so that helps us a bit.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 9 of 14   

Jump to: