Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies demolish Dees. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Really enjoyed Flys comments on W H E. The coaches see and know so much more than the two hours we judge them on every week. There’s no statistic for smarts and composure and that’s why coaches see things so differently to what we see from a distance.
Sidebottom and W H E’s games were superb and both built on the back of smarts and over 500 games between them. All of sudden, the Hosk ( who has basically replaced Nobles role ) has added some extra quality to our D50 strategies and that can only make us better again.
It looked to me as though Sidey came back from the knee underdone but that extra week off helped him bring the knee back up to speed and he was back to his surgical best. Great performances from both of them to help out our stay at home defenders.

100%

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:58 am

David wrote:
Do you think McRae was implying that WHE was one of the players he was considering leaving out before settling on Noble? That's kind of how it sounded to me.

If so, there's some vindication for that choice I guess. He was great.

Not at all. It was Oleg or Nobes sadly. If he was more versatile I would switch noble and lippa

We have huge depth in defence, it’s awesome, so the defenders who can venture further into midfield get priority. There is also the height factor.

Haff Capricorn

Re Maynard, slept (although not much, too pumped) on it and re watched it. I really think he’s in trouble. The grading is simple, he’s off to the tribunal regardless of intension facing at least 3 weeks because it’s clearly severe impact.

MC will not risk the wrath of the world by saying it’s a footy act. If he does we should be buying the guy dinner for the rest of his life. At BEST he will send it to the tribunal without a ruling which he has done before. I think that’s the best we can realistically hope for. He’s not brave, he won’t set the presedent here given all the focus on the head.

For mine, Maynard jumped, the precedent is clear, once you jump you’re responsible for the impacts there after. A footy act is taking a screamer then falling across the oppositions head. I don’t think a defensive act will be covered.

It’s shit, but at least Noble gets his shot at being a premiership player. Hope I’m wrong.

Franco 

What'sinaname wrote:
Franco wrote:
\
Ok fair enough. So we should have a player that is willing to run out and head butt Petracca’s knee in a qualifying final just in case we meet them in a granny. Not Petracca’s fault but a concussion is a concussion.

Also, Cripps was suspended for 2 games. He got off on a legal technicality which won't happen again.

That is a very good point. I wish it wasn’t, but it is. Cheers
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:03 am

Haff wrote:
Re Maynard, slept (although not much, too pumped) on it and re watched it. I really think he’s in trouble. The grading is simple, he’s off to the tribunal regardless of intension facing at least 3 weeks because it’s clearly severe impact.

MC will not risk the wrath of the world by saying it’s a footy act. If he does we should be buying the guy dinner for the rest of his life. At BEST he will send it to the tribunal without a ruling which he has done before. I think that’s the best we can realistically hope for. He’s not brave, he won’t set the presedent here given all the focus on the head.

For mine, Maynard jumped, the precedent is clear, once you jump you’re responsible for the impacts there after. A footy act is taking a screamer then falling across the oppositions head. I don’t think a defensive act will be covered.

It’s shit, but at least Noble gets his shot at being a premiership player. Hope I’m wrong.

He jumped to smother the kick, not the player,should be nothing

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:07 am

Casual Observations:

1. It was our "B and C Graders" that were the difference last night
2. We dominated the scoreboard for the first three quarters
3. Parked the bus in last quarter
4. Forced Melbourne into back-foot rushed disposals
5. WHE played best game of his career
6. Backline supreme obviously
7. Got little out of Elliott, Lipinski, McCreery, Jaicos
8. Melbourne's got NO forward line!!!
9. Degoey's inability to dominate centre clearances is a huge worry
10. How good is waking up Friday today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:08 am

think positive wrote:

And, per my comments, I think they will adjudicate that with a player running at you and you jump to smother you still have a duty of care. Hope I’m wrong.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:09 am

Our backline was huge, hats off to some very tired boys today. Sidey and WhE drifting back made a big difference too. Malthouse said defence wins finals and we’re winning in defence!
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:11 am

David wrote:
Do you think McRae was implying that WHE was one of the players he was considering leaving out before settling on Noble? That's kind of how it sounded to me.

If so, there's some vindication for that choice I guess. He was great.

Possibly David and I base that on the fact that he did have one game in the VFL earlier this year and that would suggest there was some vulnerability about his selection ( especially when you compare that to Lipinski who missed the first 14 games and came straight back in )
Hoskin - Elliot’s strength has also proven to have been his downfall in the past. He’s a Jack of all trades but master of none. He’s a made a career out of plugging holes and the moment his preferred replacement comes back, he’s then shunted off to plug another gap. Having said that, it’s his versatility that got him selected this week ( according to Fly ) When Noble was omitted, they still needed an extra defender in the rotations, so the Hosk basically spent the night rotating between wing and half back depending on whoever went to the bench for a rest. Just nice to see a long time servant but perennial lesser light get some much deserved recognition.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
think better 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:14 am

A few people were critical of Pendles in the first half, he only had 4 possessions. But I think he was running with Petracca who only had 7 possessions in the first half. It looks like after half time both were set free - Petracca got 22 possessions and Pendles had 11.

A very disciplined and effective game by Pendles I reckon.

Last edited by think better on Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:15 am

think positive wrote:
Haff wrote:

I agree.It was 100% pure accident,the sort of thing that happens in football all the time,I would be shocked if Maynard goes for this.Even if he is suspended I reckon it will be overturned at the appeals tribunal.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:16 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

We will beat either of those teams by 10 goals+. Melbourne is the second-best team in the comp on the MCG (we play no game anywhere else this season) and we beat them with good performances from a handful of players and many stars playing a bad game. Collingwood only gets better from here.

As for the question how we could possibly beat Melbourne, the answer is we led for the entire game and they actually never looked like it. They had one scoring shot in the last 20 minutes or so of the game. Consequently, Collingwood won for the most usual of reasons - they were by far the better team all night and finished with a higher score.

On a quite separate note, it beggars belief that there seem to be people who didn’t think Sidebottom was in Collingwood’s best 5 on the night. It must be that the way the stats are counted tricks people - in addition to his counted disposals, he must have had hands on the footy to force a stoppage or tap the ball on another 20 or so times. The Collingwood game plan depends on the wings clogging up space - Sidey and WHE are the engine room of the Collingwood game. Number 22 plays the clean up and close down role better than any player in the game.

As an aside, it might be good if De Goey didn’t play like that ever again. He was a walking debacle. His complete absence of work-rate was distressing to watch.

Old Sidey might have a pair of rubber arms when trying to tackle someone at times but his ability to pivot and shrug one off is absolutely outstanding. He turns a half a step clear into a whole second or two to size up his options.

Great poise
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:21 am

Deja Vu wrote:

1. Pies are not a dominant team

2. But they are hard to beat

This.
We got the goals and stayed in front but never dominated. We absorbed the last quarter pressure with smart football and great defence.
We are hard to beat and thats better than the rest of the teams in the finals.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:27 am

WELL WELL!! A glaring omission in the comments here, that being Mr HISS!! Bagged us all week and told us how we would be thrashed by an obviously better Dreamon team , one which he will be able to enjoy unlimited access to next week when they take on the Swannettes and he can cheer them on to his hearts content. My only regret is that we didn't beat them by the 4 goal margin I had predicted. Let's hear ya Hiss!! GO PIES!!
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:34 am

daics aka the ruckman wrote:

This.
We got the goals and stayed in front but never dominated. We absorbed the last quarter pressure with smart football and great defence.
We are hard to beat and thats better than the rest of the teams in the finals.

Reckon a good 10 of the 32 i50 differential was us having 15 players in the D50 for most of the last quarter. It left us with nobody out on the wings and so the ball kept bouncing back on in.

Good coaching. JVR not yet a contested marking beast and McDonald not a reliable one either. Kozzie might take the occasional hanger but it would be real footy gods stuff for him to do that the 3 or 4 times he'd have needed to when we decided to park the bus. Fritch is a lead up forward with exceptional ground ability. Clog up his space and he dries up. That one he missed by 25 metres was brilliant.

For talk of Melbourne's inaccuracy, they kicked 7.8 and we rushed 3. Other than Fritch's howler their kicking was bad without being atrocious. Quite a few of those misses, including the OOFs were under pressure - real and perceived.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 9 of 20   

Jump to: