Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
stoliboy wrote:
Beam's brother just posted this on twitter:

@ClayeBeams: Who would of thought a player wanting to be closer to his ill dad would bring all the gutless keyboard warriors out, must not have families

So if he wasn't attending the Copeland trophy night, why wasn't he with his sick dad in Brisbane, instead of celebrating with a few mates in a Melbourne pub?

Wonder if Clay will share in the $800 K spoils now on offer by the Brions ??. Confused Just goes to show, he and bro must read Nicks Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:32 pm

You can add the prospect of wondering about number 5 draft pick to this list as well dark beanie. Who should we go for?

I can't understand the doom and gloom put out by a fair few posters about this trade. They have come up with positives out of a difficult situation when Beamer took his bat and went home.

6 years ago we pick him up for a 30 something selection. It could have ended up being a player who never got a game, as many draft picks do. Instead we saw a player win a b&f and multiple placings, play many games and finals, including a flag. We have been given 3 players to replace him, one a seasoned midfielder in his mid 20s, one a rookie who could be anything and another a top ten talent. Surely the club has been a winner with how this has panned out?

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Quote:
6 years ago we pick him up for a 30 something selection. It could have ended up being a player who never got a game, as many draft picks do. Instead we saw a player win a b&f and multiple placings, play many games and finals, including a flag. We have been given 3 players to replace him, one a seasoned midfielder in his mid 20s, one a rookie who could be anything and another a top ten talent. Surely the club has been a winner with how this has panned out?

Uncanny, I like your perspective on all this!!
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:24 pm

Someone claiming to be in the know on Big Footy now claiming that Beams' contract is actually $5.4 million over 6 years, front loaded. I liked Dayne but he sure as shit is not a $900k player.

As a side note, contrary to what I've seen qldmagpie post, Daynes sister Khayla is not moving back to qld in the foreseeable future. Still has her job in Melbourne and is quite happy here.

As much as Teapot has apparently been saying its not about $$$, I'm finding that harder and harder to believe...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
stoliboy wrote:

@ClayeBeams: Who would of thought a player wanting to be closer to his ill dad would bring all the gutless keyboard warriors out, must not have families

So if he wasn't attending the Copeland trophy night, why wasn't he with his sick dad in Brisbane, instead of celebrating with a few mates in a Melbourne pub?

Wonder if Clay will share in the $800 K spoils now on offer by the Brions ??. Confused Just goes to show, he and bro must read Nicks Razz

I think, perhaps, sumwon mebe riddin it to dem.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Very sad day. Yet another Premiership player gone, and one of our best too. The details of the deal aren't that bad I guess, but it makes us look weak basically ending up with the deal we so noisily rejected a few days ago. It's gonna be a tough season as we'll be playing against former magpies half the time. Unlike some so-called Magpie fans I don't toss loyalty to a guy away because he moves to another club, especially as all of them have reasons. Of course the Buckley cheer squad have to accept any press release from the Westpac as gospel, and have suddenly decided Beams was a bum all along. As are any other players who've left or who will leave in the future. And there will be some.
I'll never understand the minds of people who can do a 180 degree turn on a player they professed to love, it really shows the true depth of that feeling, and they have the gall to call others 'fair weather friends'! Amazing.
As for Varcoe, I wasn't happy at all about getting him but he's a Magpie now, so you won't hear another negative word from me about him. Jack Crisp is even easier to like, he wanted to come to Collingwood, which is unusual at the moment, I just hope he gets opportunities if he earns them. Greenwood was always a great get, and I'm amazed all we had to give was pick 25. That's a bargain. Considering the guy was 3rd in their B&F I would've expected to have to pay more than that.
Still no one has named a player they'd pick with #5, but maybe that's in another thread.
However in the end we've lost another 100+games of Magpie experience. Greenwood should do okay, but we can't expect that much from Crisp and whoever pick 5 is until they learn the ropes. How will we go with only Pendles, Swanny, Cloke, Reid, Goldy, and Brown left from the Premiership side? I guess we'll find out in 6 months. I think Hawthorn has more players from it's 2008 side than we do from 2010, and that's no accident.
I'm going to look for the 'pick 5' thread, you guys get on with bad-mouthing Dayne Beams. And they call me negative!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:03 pm

No 180-degree turn here. I never liked him much and I'm glad he's gone.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Stupied wrote:
Someone claiming to be in the know on Big Footy now claiming that Beams' contract is actually $5.4 million over 6 years, front loaded. I liked Dayne but he sure as shit is not a $900k player.

As a side note, contrary to what I've seen qldmagpie post, Daynes sister Khayla is not moving back to qld in the foreseeable future. Still has her job in Melbourne and is quite happy here.

As much as Teapot has apparently been saying its not about $$$, I'm finding that harder and harder to believe...

I don't put an ounce of stock in what he says. He steered us wrong at virtually every turn.

"Beams will sign soon", "He loves the club and isn't going anywhere", "He idolizes Bucks", "He's only leaving to be with his Dad, money's got nothing to do with it", "He's just received poor advice from his manager but he's not like that" blah blah blah.

It shows the folly of giving any credence to claims made by some anonymous guy on an internet forum because they say they know someone.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:19 pm

35forever wrote:
Very sad day. Yet another Premiership player gone, and one of our best too. The details of the deal aren't that bad I guess, but it makes us look weak basically ending up with the deal we so noisily rejected a few days ago. It's gonna be a tough season as we'll be playing against former magpies half the time. Unlike some so-called Magpie fans I don't toss loyalty to a guy away because he moves to another club, especially as all of them have reasons. Of course the Buckley cheer squad have to accept any press release from the Westpac as gospel, and have suddenly decided Beams was a bum all along. As are any other players who've left or who will leave in the future. And there will be some.
I'll never understand the minds of people who can do a 180 degree turn on a player they professed to love, it really shows the true depth of that feeling, and they have the gall to call others 'fair weather friends'! Amazing.
As for Varcoe, I wasn't happy at all about getting him but he's a Magpie now, so you won't hear another negative word from me about him. Jack Crisp is even easier to like, he wanted to come to Collingwood, which is unusual at the moment, I just hope he gets opportunities if he earns them. Greenwood was always a great get, and I'm amazed all we had to give was pick 25. That's a bargain. Considering the guy was 3rd in their B&F I would've expected to have to pay more than that.
Still no one has named a player they'd pick with #5, but maybe that's in another thread.
However in the end we've lost another 100+games of Magpie experience. Greenwood should do okay, but we can't expect that much from Crisp and whoever pick 5 is until they learn the ropes. How will we go with only Pendles, Swanny, Cloke, Reid, Goldy, and Brown left from the Premiership side? I guess we'll find out in 6 months. I think Hawthorn has more players from it's 2008 side than we do from 2010, and that's no accident.
I'm going to look for the 'pick 5' thread, you guys get on with bad-mouthing Dayne Beams. And they call me negative!

Don't you get bored of doing this? You've even got some decent points in there but they'll get lost amongst the bile. As soon as you started on the "Buckley Cheer Squad" my instinct was to tl;dr your post and move on. I persevered and actually got some decent discussion in there.

A lot of Pies fans weren't sold on Beams, loved his offensive play but his attitude both on field and off left some a bit cold. I for one think his loss in purely football terms is huge, but from a culture and team viewpoint I'm not sad to see the back of him.

Nice to see you cheering up a bit anyway. Laughing
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:22 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:50 pm

35forever wrote:
How will we go with only Pendles, Swanny, Cloke, Reid, Goldy, and Brown left from the Premiership side? I guess we'll find out in 6 months. I think Hawthorn has more players from it's 2008 side than we do from 2010, and that's no accident.

2010 Premiership players on Collingwood's list in 2015: McCaffer, Goldsack, Pendlebury, Blair, N.Brown, Reid, Sidebottom, Cloke, Toovey and Swan. That's 10.

2008 Premiership players on Hawthorn's list in 2015: Roughead, Lewis, Mitchell, Birchell, Hodge and Rioli. That's 6.

Bout right considering the flags are two years apart.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Also, assuming that the average career of a good to great player is about 12 years, give or take, you've got to expect to lose about a third over 4 years to retirement. Collingwood has lost slightly less than a third (6, rather than 7). So what you've got to focus on, objectively, is the other 6 who have left or been moved on. Here are my views on them, for what they are worth:

Wellingham was a loss - he covered the ground brilliantly over the first couple of paces at the stoppages. I would have preferred Collingwood keep him but I understand why they let him go.

Dawes wasn't a loss - but I would be the first to agree that the Club still doesn't have a centre-half forward (see my rants last year about Blair having to play as lead-up target, contest after contest, in some games because no-one over 6 feet tall could get to the spot).

Thomas might yet prove to be a loss, if he comes good. His best football was played in 2010. He played more patchily but at a high level in 2011. He was one who could hold his head up after the GF loss. He hasn't played much good footy since then, either under Buckley or under the other chap. Would it be desirable to be paying him now the $750K per year he got from the Blooz? No, I think not. On balance, I am pleased Collingwood didn't match the offer - it would have inflated all sorts of player expectations that simply couldn't be met by the Club. On what I saw this year, I wouldn't want him back.

Heater was a great loss and his 2014 showed that he is still a fine player. I didn't like that deal when it was done - but it's hard to argue the toss between a 29 year old half-back flanker and the inside mid the Club wants to play for the next decade. Of the 6 of them, I miss Heater the most.

The 2014 version of H isn't a great loss. He was, once, close to my favourite player. By the middle of 2011, I'd given up on him and I think we've seen a steady decline. His efforts on Steve Johnson on GF day 2011 were unacceptable. Still a good contributor, now - but I think his best is probably behind him. He'll play plenty of good footy over the next year or two but I doubt much if any of it will be (or would have been) played in finals. I expect him to be done by the end of 2017. Varcoe's probably more or less a value for value replacement. That said, I'd probably prefer to have neither, at this stage.

Beams is clearly a loss but he isn't a great loss. I understand that I am in the minority in thinking this. It's not a new view. I never much cared for his style of play and have been openly questioning his position in the team since 2011. He is a classic example of a player too readily embraced by the Club's supporters. He's a good, solid player probably a B or a B+, certainly not an A grader. I think the Club has probably gained much more than it lost by letting him go, unless pick 5 turns out to be a complete spud. In any event, he couldn't have been paid the sum Brisbane was offering. The deal is apparently of the $800K to $900K per year variety. We might have kept him for 2015 but, if that sort of money was available next year, he would have fled.

So, in total, what we're talking about is 6 players, 2 of whom I would rather the Club had kept. Allowing for the possibility that the Collingwood football department might understand this better than me, I'm happy to accept what they did with Heater and Wellers - and I actively agree with each of the other 4 decisions.
Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:02 pm

Disagree on Sharrod. He always frustrated me. Early on I thought he was a 200 gamer and potential leader, coming off the rookie list like he did and with the skills that he had. But it wasn't long before it became clear that he was just comfortable being an AFL player. Guys like that are unreliable I reckon, they drop off too quickly whenever they're injured or lose a bit of touch. Trading Him for Brodie Grundy will be a massive win for the club IMO.

Agree on Dawes. I blame Jesse White for Blair having to lead up from CHF. Overall he(White) was ok, but his work rate is seriously questionable. The trade of Dawes for Broomhead looks a ripper though. Broomy looks like Wellingham but with more determination and class.

I don't really know how to feel about Daisy now, just another Scum player I suppose. I was stoked to get pick 6 as compo, but now that Schrenberg wont play until 2016, we're just going to have to wait and see if that deal is a winner or not. Carlton would certainly take pick 6 for him this year though, so there's that. Laughing

Can't watch Heater in the orange. Losing him did hurt, but the blame isn't on the club. They did everything possible for Heath to finish his career at Collingwood, but it wasn't to be. Taylor Adams is more than fair compensation and I'll be disappointed if he doesn't play 200 games.

H for Varcoe is growing on me. Still feel H has more actual value, but Varcoe's potential is greater if he gets his body right. Worth a risk.

And after talking Beams' value up everyday for the last few weeks hopinh to get the best deal possible out of Brisbane, I pretty much agree with you. He's not a massive loss. I think he was mainly who Pendles was talking about when he called our mids cheats. Matt Priddis would certainly agree anyway.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:46 pm

As I said previously, my concern about the people bagging Beams and other heroes from the 2010 team who have left, been traded or just plain sacked is that it leads to a complete denigration of our premiership. Were we really that bad back then? Obviously St Kilda were crap seeing how far they have fallen, and Hawthorn, Geelong and Sydney were obviously on sabbaticals, but the truth of the matter is that ANY Collingwood player who wins a flag should be treated as a god for life! I think I recall several posters like AN_Inkling describing this team as the greatest they had seen in all their years supporting Collingwood. We re-write history at our peril.

35Forever is correct when he refers to those who try to re-write history as "fair weather" supporters. I am not in the business of slagging off individuals who hold opposing opinions, but I sure would like to see a complete moratorium on bagging 2010 premiership heroes. And that includes Dayne Beams.

BTW the 2010-2011 teams would beat the current best Collingwood 22 by ten goals any day of the week. Easily!

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:48 pm

stoliboy wrote:

See they do all read Nick's. Good. I hope Buckley does! Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 90 of 188   

Jump to: