Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Death Penalty?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Death Penalty
Yes
41%
 41%  [ 13 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 14 ]
Not Sure
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
I really wanna spank the Monkey
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

1061 wrote:
Tannin wrote:
A bit different in the US. There, the death penalty is applied in a grossly disproportionate and horribly unfair way. For the exact same crimes, you are far, far, far more likely to be given death by the USA if you are poor, black, or disabled than if you are well-off or white.

Now compare that terribly unjust situation with the one in Indonesia, where justice is ....

.... er .....

Sorry, as you were.

Lets be honest Australia's legal system is dependent on how much money you have, spending thousands on a mouthpiece will often keep a person out of jail. I have seen it "right in front of me" and it's obviously the same in Countries where the legal system was set up or is based on the English system.

A person not represented is likely to get a harsher penalty than one who has spent some money on decent legal representation.

^ Just so.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:13 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Tannin wrote:
^ I suppose I should care, but frankly ... shrug.

Thin end of the wedge and all that, but would it not be better to focus our concerns and energies on some other people both less guilty and more likely to benefit from our activity?

(Never mind the deserving/underserving-victim debate - which I'm not going to get into - but if nothing else, just on practical what-results-can-we-achieve? grounds

Yep

And I've seen the reformed image, how they have changed ra ra ra. Let's pause for a moment and look at the other side: if they had not been caught, and kept on doing it, how many deaths from those drugs they carried would there be? How much misery? And if one of the pawns in their game "chickened out" would they have carried out their threats to harm the chickens family? If your gunna try to make big bucks doing something illegal and evil, do it in a country where they won't kill you for trying.

Nobody's saying they shouldn't have been caught and punished, but I don't see how that turns into a justification for capital punishment. You presumably wouldn't agree with an Australian being stoned to death for blasphemy in Saudi Arabia even though "them's the rules", so why support this (unless, of course, you generally support capital punishment for drug smugglers, in which case play on)?

Goal! 3 pointer! If your stupid enough to try and smuggle drugs in a country that has WE KILL DRUG SMUGGLERS in big letters all over the airport, u get what u deserve

As for the other, I opose any thing that so severely impinges on woman's rights and I've seen sex ant the city 2 too, and I wouldn't ev n think of going there! I've also seen not without my daughter! You not going to believe a flying nun named Gidget?

Last edited by think positive on Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Lol. For the record, SATC2 was set in the United Arab Emirates and filmed in Morocco, 'cos who can tell the difference between those countries anyway? Laughing

(By the way, the hypothetical crime I suggested was blasphemy, so not gender related.)

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:21 pm

David wrote:
I don't know how to put this gently, but ... no, Sex and the City 2 is not quite a faithful representation of the Muslim world (or any part thereof).

Quite right. When I was in Kalimantan Indonesia a few years back a very small proportion of the population whore head scarves and actually went to the mosque all the time. The younger ones would flock to the shopping malls to buy the latest fashions from all around the world while openly mixing with members of both sexes in the coffee shops and movie theatres. You could buy swimming costumes that were not entirely Sharia law approved. But the schools were the eye openers. The high school had all these young bucks waiting outside on motorbikes. I asked my brother what they were doing and he said "Over here they girls of 13-14 are considered prime targets so the 21 year olds who can afford motorbikes wait outside for them to take them out before the parents get home". 2 of his sister in laws had children when under 15, both of which my brother and his wife have adopted.

The shopping malls in Jakarta were pretty much the same. The only difference is you can not get bacon at Maccas

Aceh aside the worlds biggest muslim nation would have no problems with Sex in the City although they have some spectacularly beautiful women and those old dames would not get a look in.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:27 pm

David wrote:
I don't know how to put this gently, but ... no, Sex and the City 2 is not quite a faithful representation of the Muslim world (or any part thereof).

While I would normally disagree, in this case I think you may be wrong. You can be arrested for kissing in public.

http://www.traveller.com.au/no-kissing-no-sex-no-photos--how-to-avoid-arrest-in-dubai-1nf7o

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:30 pm

^ I'm aware of that, but that doesn't make an unusually bad Hollywood movie's cardboard representation of the Middle East any more accurate. It's actually disturbing that people would found their understanding of a region of the world on something so ridiculous.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:31 pm

AHHHHH I BET YOU HAVENT WATCHED IT!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:34 pm

David wrote:
^ I'm aware of that, but that doesn't make an unusually bad Hollywood movie's cardboard representation of the Middle East any more accurate. It's actually disturbing that people would found their understanding of a region of the world on something so ridiculous.
Can we get back to business?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:45 pm

David wrote:
oh I was well aware of how unsafe the region was before Sam was arrested.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:51 pm

Hahahaha
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Interesting garb for that profession. It's very different down the Cross.

ronrat wrote:
When I was in Kalimantan Indonesia a few years back a very small proportion of the population whore head scarves and actually went to the mosque all the time.

So, if a private whore sleeps with a bloke any time he wants her to, and a town whore sleeps with most of the blokes in town, who does a population whore sleep with? Shocked

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:46 pm

Alan Jones on Q&A regarding the death penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8d4_zFHtxk

2:20 is the start of Jones' answer.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:49 am

There is a reason we would want to hear Jones' view? I can't imagine what that would be. Unless this is a different Alan Jones with something worthwhile to contribute, of course.

EDIT: it occurs to me that I'm probably thinking of the wrong Alan Jones. There is an Alan Jones who hosts Q&A, isn't there? I suppose we mean that one.

Last edited by Tannin on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:51 am

i watched it, and he makes the point that if Rush's father had not gone to the aussie federal police, and the aussie federal police had not gone to the Indonesian police, his son might not be on death row. He told the police my son is about to do this, please stop him. But they wanted to catch the big guys so they didn't.

Don't know about you, but if the cops did nothing, I'd be inclined to tip my son off before he left. And for what it's worth, the guy who made the decision to let them go, well, he surely is having sleepless nights. You'd reckon he'd have a deal in place before giving out the info.

To be honest, if this was Australia, no I would not support the death penalty in this case. But I'd expect a 25 year sentence with no early parole. My opinion on the death penalty has softened a little, but I'd still cry no tears if Anita Colbys killers, the port Arthur killer, got a shot in the arm one day.

That model that got caught with a couple of ecstasy tablets, and her lawyers got her off, the way she ripped off the head scarf as soon as she was on the plane, that probably doesn't help. Her demure apologys and an expensive lawyer got her off, and then she thumbed her nose at them on the way out!

No I don't think they should die, but if your talking sanctions, well there are some pretty worthy reasons out there aside from this. I just can't understand why anyone would take the risk, it's just mind boggling. It may not stop the drug smuggling industry, but I'm guessing it will actually stop at least one aussie teen contemplating it. Gees, you'd hope so.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:32 am

Free Will!

We live with Free Will, I've never been to Bali but I am told there are signs everywhere warning people about "drugs is death".

If Jill Meagher's murderer reformed and said he was so sorry should we just release him? He is serving our harshest sentence as we don't have the death penalty so if he or other prisoners reform, should we open the gates?

That's what we are asking the Indonesians to do isn't it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 10 of 20   

Jump to: