Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies down to Crows - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That was not very original.
mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:31 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Can someone please explain why picking up Varcoe was better than taking a punt with the early second round pick that we had in the 2014 draft?

Premiership experience for the young ones. We've been getting a decent number of first rounders over the past 3 years.

----------
------------
Museman 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:56 pm

" they hunted it, they were harder, they wanted it more........."

No fkn sh!te coach obvious!!!!

why? would be the answer we're all looking for....
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:32 pm

Etihad is turning into our hoodoo ground.
I'd rather play the cats at Geelong than just about anybody at etihad.
puppapink 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:03 pm

I was frustrated by the kicking out of defence but they are a very young backline, they keep trying and will get better, especially with Ben Reid back there.

I like White, he tries hard and shows a bit when it hits the deck, is a good lead up player etc. But he needs to be dropped back to the twos to learn how to to mark overhead, you can't have a KPF who has the yips marking the footy, you start at that and build all the the tackling, running, agility etc around that. He has to be dropped or this has to be the main focus of his training, put Cloke next to him, kick the ball in the air and whack his arms until he learns to mark it.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:59 pm

Damien wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I think the word perspective is the most important thing to remember.

Firstly the crows got rid of Sanderson for a reason. They thought there list was finals worthy but under achieving nd he had player issues. Walsh seems to have them running very well early and all heading in the same direction.

Secondly body size wise we are miles off the pace. When bodies hit in at contests 75% of our boys get pushed off it.

Thirdly young inexperienced teams struggle to contain momentum when it's against them. Our guys showed that in spades tonight. Experienced sides like the hawks slow the play down and halt it we don't.

Finally it seems we just don't have a elite kick in the club under pressure. We either dinky kick it around until we turn it over or we bomb it to a 2-1 contest.
I'm not going to go into game plans because when young players are under intense pressure we seem to look like headless chooks out there.
I have real doubts over Fasalo I don't think he knows if he is a forward back or mid and it shows. He has no defensive mind set at all. Swanny has been a champ but he seems a step off the pace I'm hopeful he turns the corner and kick. Varcoe was brought in to give us some experience and composure and he hasn't shown anything. No wonder Geelong didn't fight to keep him.
Cloke just looks lost at the moment. Last week when he run up th ground a long way he looked better and so did we. When we are under the pump down back I would love to see him take a grab deep and at least boot the damn ting 65 out of trouble giving us some time to man up again.
Our players lost there opponents to easy again. It's frustrating but I wouldn't be throwing the baby out withnth bath water just yet.

But with every cloud there is a silver lining. We are getting games into players and that's important.
Langdon is showing signs of consistency at a high level.
Oxley was good and worth more games.
Elliott was quiet tonight but he is still learning to be a true mid
Grundy is an out and out star in the making
Pendles is doing everything he can but he is working solo and that is a concern.
Frosty worked manfully again but he is 25 games into a career so he is a work in progress.
th most pleasing thing is at least the playing group didn't turn it up when they were down. While h score board margin may have flattered us with the crows kicking 16 behinds we can't control what they do in that regard nor can we control the effort they bring to each contest over 4 quarters. We cn control our effort and playing each contest. So we win the last quarter and the margin of 27 ends as the result.
For mine we missed sidey while we still wouldn't have won on last weeks performance he would have made hue difference out there.
I would play Karnezis next week as a small forward
I hope Witts is ready soon don't want to kill Grundy
Freeman in a few weeks in the VFL getting some match fitness gets a run
I wouldn't be playing Moore any time soon. No point in killing a kid. Maybe in the second half of the season
Scharenberg hopefully will be ready but second half of season well.
By Neil's report Reid played well in the VFL so again hopefully in a couple weeks he comes in as well.
We are a work in progress so perspective should be used when judging each performance.
I won't go into t bucks thing to early to judge he gets til round 12/13 before I would make any decisions.

Thoroughly excellent summary of things.

Yes, perspective helps. Well done Qldmagpie a pretty good summary of things in general. Freeman played against Hawthorn in the NAB challenge, so why can't he play yet?

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:08 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Grundy was one of our best players, but it's too much to ask him to ruck pretty much alone for whole games. Witts must come back in next week to give us 2 proper ruckmen, and allow White to concentrate solely on being a key forward.

The job of a ruckman is to give first opportunity to the on-ballers / midfielders.

By that measure Grundy was smashed by a much better & more powerful opponent.

Grundy was also beaten around the ground by an influential Jacobs who led well to space & whose disposal is excellent as he passed the ball onto his dominant & hardworking teammates.

Grundy tried hard, his endeavour is terrific but he was given a bath by one of the best Rucks in the competition.

Grundy is young & does not yet have the presence to dominate as Jacobs did. He is improving & will be a good contributor for us as he continues

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:14 am

The most disappointing thing for me was that we could have won that game in the last quarter.

Collingwood started the last quarter with more legs that the Crows. What threw a spanner in the works was the injury to the Crows player which caused, what, a seven or eight minute delay while the player was removed from the ground. This gave the Crows a chance to get their wind back. Bugger.

Add to that the several easy shots on goal that were stuffed up in the last quarter. And I mean pretty straightforward shots. Had they found their mark they alone would have put us within a kick in the closing minutes.

I'm pleased to see us finishing so well. We are a fit team - maybe the fittest? Wait and see. But its a credit to the preseason regime at the club.

The game took a lot out of the Crows. Was their first real contest for the year and I think we'll see the effect on them in Rnd 3. As for us, I think we are well primed to have a good percentage win against St. Kilda.

A possible distraction in the lead up to Rnd 3 will be the Thomas/Keefe ASADA hearing, the B Sample results coming back, and possible further media revelations/speculations about what actually happened. But I think Buckley Pert and Balme are ready for it and will have a good grip on managing the players through the unfolding issue. Dunno about Eddie.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:46 am

watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Grundy was one of our best players, but it's too much to ask him to ruck pretty much alone for whole games. Witts must come back in next week to give us 2 proper ruckmen, and allow White to concentrate solely on being a key forward.

The job of a ruckman is to give first opportunity to the on-ballers / midfielders.

Grundy was also beaten around the ground by an influential Jacobs who led well to space & whose disposal is excellent as he passed the ball onto his dominant & hardworking teammates.

Grundy tried hard, his endeavour is terrific but he was given a bath by one of the best Rucks in the competition.

Grundy is young & does not yet have the presence to dominate as Jacobs did. He is improving & will be a good contributor for us as he continues

The good thing is, he never stopped trying. In fact the whole team kept at it. Even those accused of being lazy in the past.

This won't be the only time we get beaten this year, and I'm expecting a couple of baths. It's a roller coaster folks, but at least this team is playing like a team, if they keep attacking as they have been, second and third efforts, the skills will improve as they start to win the ball more.

And hey, the evergreen cats are bottom of the ladder! Have faith.

Cheers

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:11 am

think positive wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

The good thing is, he never stopped trying. In fact the whole team kept at it. Even those accused of being lazy in the past.

This won't be the only time we get beaten this year, and I'm expecting a couple of baths. It's a roller coaster folks, but at least this team is playing like a team, if they keep attacking as they have been, second and third efforts, the skills will improve as they start to win the ball more.

And hey, the evergreen cats are bottom of the ladder! Have faith.

Cheers

I do have faith TP.

In fact what's the difference between us & Hawthorn?

We're both on 1 win Wink

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:05 pm

Doc63 wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Essendon doing well so far.

Regardless of today's result I've always had a suspicion that Hird can coach.

Probably why I wanted him sacked.

Me too. Which makes what they did all the more baffling.

Interesting that Hooker post match said that he just followed his man (Gunston) into the Bumbers F50 when he kicked that goal but in the Hun today Hird is claiming it as a coaching master stroke.
E 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Museman wrote:

I disagree with the comment. we may have been outclassed, but our guys effort was really impressive. something to build on I reckon.

Flashman 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:45 pm

E wrote:
Museman wrote:

I disagree with the comment. we may have been outclassed, but our guys effort was really impressive. something to build on I reckon.

Yep.

Compare that effort against a better side in Adelaide with some of our weak displays last season (Freo and the second Essendon and Weagles games in particular) and you'll take some positives out of it. There were no positives in those games last year.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:11 pm
Post subject: Re: YesReply with quote

Doc63 wrote:
Hiss wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Grundy tried his heart out but was beaten pretty conclusively I thought.

We are going to Lose/Break Even in the Ruck for another 3 or so Seasons unless we Recruit a Mature Age Ruckman in that Time.

Though Seeing how we Recruit I highly doubt we will

Well said DTM. When we got Jolly we won a flag. We need a big hit out ruck man right now or at least a versatile tall man like Luke Breuster at Hawthorn. He can play ruck and forward. How come we keep missing out on these? Something missing here.

The Old Corio has kicked in early today, hasn't it?

Bruester the Rooster and Blair Witch Project in the ruck; its so crazy, it just might work!

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:12 pm
Post subject: Re: YesReply with quote

Hiss wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
Grundy tried his heart out but was beaten pretty conclusively I thought.

We are going to Lose/Break Even in the Ruck for another 3 or so Seasons unless we Recruit a Mature Age Ruckman in that Time.

Though Seeing how we Recruit I highly doubt we will

Well said DTM. When we got Jolly we won a flag. We need a big hit out ruck man right now or at least a versatile tall man like Luke Breuster at Hawthorn. He can play ruck and forward. How come we keep missing out on these? Something missing here.

Somethings missing alright!

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12   

Jump to: