Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Power - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ you're probably right Melliott, but i think we're not out of it this year. I'd have us about 12/1 if we finish 5-8, but about 5/1 if we can sneak into the 4. So risks that jeopardise us making it into the top 4 are the wrong rein now, imho.
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:47 pm

melliot wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
roar wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Frankly, I think we lost that Hawthorn game at teh selection table.

We outplayed Hawthorn across every area, and only lost because of our poor conversion, yet you think team selection was the problem. Really?

Yep, as someone said, maynard cost us about three goals - not surprising for a first-gamer. That carries them over the line. Blair nearly turned the game when he came on, and would probably have kicked or caused a goal or two more than Moore did. Change those facts and we'd have got across the line even with shabby conversion. I like playing the kids who've staked claims, but that doesn't seem like the game in which to do it.

But Blair Playing instead of Moore would mean Cloke would not get many 1v1 and you get a Free Man like Gibson

Well, Dave, at 1.4 for Clokey, given that his goal was kicked in general play, that might have made, what, 4 points difference, offset by the goals Blair would probably have created? This is not a science, Dave, but the fact is that we had two players who contributed little vs the probably best team in the league. I think is was poor selection, but it's possible to disagree of course.

I agree with Mugwump. Love playing the kids. But it probably cost us 4 points in the end. Just like Cloke Faz and others wasteful goal kicking, the débutantes cost us just as much imo. Not sure of the wisdom of playing both kids against the Hawks. An easier kill would have been better for both of them as a start, and one at a time and ladder position would have benefited too.

But I need to keep reminding myself that it's not about this year. As much as we have improved , next year and following year is where we need to give it a crack. This year's strategic plan is to continue team and list development. So don't mind playing the kids. But two more experienced guys like say Grundy and Kennedy, Sinclair or Ramsay or Goldsack, would have gave us more (or less mistakes in Maynards case).

I'm not critical of them. That's what you get with inexperienced players. Rookie errors.

As much as I want to win this year, I ( and many others) need to rein in our expectations and keep with the plan.

Agree with all of this, sadly some on here live "week to week" with expectation. They may seem low, but really anything inside the top eight this year will be a win in my book. Consider where the club was at this time last year. To have broken the Hawthorn hoodoo would have been nice. Still very much happy with the progression this far. About the only thing i would like to see is to keep the positive game style. Also really beat the Win/Loss record from last year.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:32 pm

seeing that we have lost the last two and we are still in finals contention, then we need to select the side that has the best chance of winning, which probably means not giving games to the kids to see what they can do, unfortunately.

To be brutally honest, if Seedsman and Karnesis/Kennedy had played instead of Moore/Maynard, we would have won, poor goal kicking and all.

If you want to look at one change, was the same person on Walters last week and Rioli this week? Was it Toovey? (could be wrong, sorry Alan)
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:02 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
seeing that we have lost the last two and we are still in finals contention, then we need to select the side that has the best chance of winning, which probably means not giving games to the kids to see what they can do, unfortunately.

To be brutally honest, if Seedsman and Karnesis/Kennedy had played instead of Moore/Maynard, we would have won, poor goal kicking and all.

If you want to look at one change, was the same person on Walters last week and Rioli this week? Was it Toovey? (could be wrong, sorry Alan)

To be brutally honest, that is all utter speculation and pure guesswork on your part. We can never have the evidence to prove or disprove your theory. It has to be a delicate balance about not losing the long term big picture of developing a flag winning side peaking over the next 2-4 years while attaining short term goals like enough wins to make the finals this year. In my opinion, the club is doing a fantastic job of gaining this balance and that is why we are still with a chance of a top 8 finish while no one denies the vast improvement this team has made this year compared to last year.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:05 pm

i know where you're coming from, but are we close enough to 'steal' one this year rather than wait 4 years.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:38 pm

mattys123′s Match Preview Round 15 – Collingwood vs Port Adelaide is up on the site
http://www.magpies.net/nick/?p=1623

thanks once again Matt Smile

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:57 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
i know where you're coming from, but are we close enough to 'steal' one this year rather than wait 4 years.

I certainly hope that we can mate!! Bring it on.

If not, we are still in a position of being far better placed than we were 12 months ago.

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:20 pm

I think some of you forget whoever would have played instead of Maynard would have made some mistakes, too.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:45 pm

roar wrote:
I think some of you forget whoever would have played instead of Maynard would have made some mistakes, too.

Despite a couple of errors, I thought Maynard played well. He was calm under pressure and displayed elite kicking imo. I expect him to retain his spot.

Moore, however, was physically knocked out of contests and needs to beef up a bit imo.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:29 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
That shows why this is a MASSIVE Danger Game as they will put in 110% to beat us for Walsh

Why shouldn't Collingwood also put in 110% to beat the Power DTM? After all, Walsh actually played for us, NOT the Power. Rolling Eyes
There is no logic to have one team fire up more than the other team regarding Walsh. If at all, Collingwood should be the one favoured with this stuff. Rolling Eyes

That sort of emotion lssts about ten minutes then is quickly forgotten, as the game goes on, it cant last, as it could have the reverse effect, and sap some players psyche and energy. Port have no mortgage on walsh, and should not be using a tragedy to try and rev themselves up, they have screwed up their own season, thats the cold hard fact for them. Confused

Pointless argument who is motivated the most. Both Port Adelaide and Collingwood have connections with Phil Walsh. Both clubs are planning to celebrate the life of Phil Walsh before the game on Thursday night so Dwane Swan's 250th game celebration will be put on hold till the following week. No run through banners either. Hoping for a great game of footy which respects the life of Phil Walsh. I think we're good enough to win if we play at our best.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:47 pm

MagpieMad wrote:
mattys123′s Match Preview Round 15 – Collingwood vs Port Adelaide is up on the site

Thanks Matt. As a critique ( fondly given ) I'm surprised you didn't talk about how Port have been "worked out". Last year, they killed teams through the corridor. This year, oppo teams force them to the boundary and that's buggered them. Not sure which coach deployed the tactic first but is got them rethinking.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:57 am

dalyc wrote:
MagpieMad wrote:

Thanks Matt. As a critique ( fondly given ) I'm surprised you didn't talk about how Port have been "worked out". Last year, they killed teams through the corridor. This year, oppo teams force them to the boundary and that's buggered them. Not sure which coach deployed the tactic first but is got them rethinking.

Ah, that makes sense. I have been thinking that there needed to be a rational and systematic explanation as to why PA were not unleashing their blitzkrieg attacks this year. Yes, forcing them to the boundary would cut across their gameplan totally.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:32 am

Time to win and pump a team to make up for the "honorable losses".
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:47 am

Culprit wrote:
Time to win and pump a team to make up for the "honorable losses".

We are better then Port. We have to win tomorrow night

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:26 pm

So who Flew Over to SA?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16   

Jump to: