Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Hawks - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
35reasons 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercifully, I had a close mate’s 50th to get to so only caught the first half.

Now I’m no expert so generally refrain from posting about tactics or player’s performances as I just don’t have an eye for the game on that level, but even though I’m a bit of ‘blind Freddie’, there are some glaring issues that require immediate attention. Not because it was one bad game for the season, but because they’re ultimately the same issues that have plagued us for some years now.

Where is the intensity? That effort would be sub-par for JLT; where was the hunger that Essendon and Carlton played with in their games? We should be embarrassed to serve up rubbish like that I reckon.

And skill? Players couldn’t hit the side of a barn tonight. Treloar would be all-Australian every year if only he could kick. And Cox - well I fell in love with his potential; he had the promise of Paul Salmon when he first played - but none of that has been realised. Pendles’ best days are probably behind him.

And as much as I too was seduced by the potential fairy-tale ending of Bucks hoisting up the cup at the end of a September soon - it does seem like just a fairy-tale now.

A little part of me remains optimistic that the ship will right itself. I’m reminded of Geelong in 2007, in about round 6 (I think) they were calling for Bomber’s head on a plate, and that turned out ok for them. Mind you they did have Ablett and Co.

Anyway, I’m still on the bandwagon because of that optimism, but I am sussing out just where there may emerge a clearing, in case there’s a need to jump off.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:17 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Eddie leave, take bucks with you, I'm all out of patience, the time has come, we must make change, now. My patience has run out. insipid, time for a total overhaul.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Magpies035 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:27 pm

Another year under the Buckley led era and now its 2018. It seems to the the same problem again and again and again.
Like many people have said where are we at as a club.
I read in the press that Collingwood is sticking to the game plan. Gee like w have got so much success with it. I’ve seen Collingwood all this time under Buckley and tonight does not change anything.

1. I gave him 5 years. Gave him a fair go. But I just don’t think he can coach. The negatives far outway any positives.
2. Our recruitment has been below par at best. Too many of the same type of player
3. Poos skills by many players.
4. No grunt, no harness or hunger.
5. Fitness terrible also
6. Lost all confidence or passion for the game. Supporters want hope. We have been going in the opposite direction
7. Just play the kids. Daicos, Brown, Kirby, Mclarty etc

Please Collingwood listen to your supporters

BenBronx 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Magpies035 wrote:
Just play the kids. Daicos, Brown, Kirby, Mclarty etc

Honest question but if we play the kids do we risk Buckley ruining more careers with his coaching?
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:52 pm

If I were Eddie I’d extend Buckley’s contract until 2025. We’re on a winner here...
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:02 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Eddie leave, take bucks with you, I'm all out of patience, the time has come, we must make change, now. My patience has run out. insipid, time for a total overhaul.

Wow...and you have been one of the most patient defenders of the regime too.

It only brings pain now for so many of us to accept this fact.

I fear Carlton could do a number on us in Rd 3, and that could be line in the sand time.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:23 am

Buckley's press conference:

What were your thoughts on the game?
Quote:
"Disappointing night in the office. We had a lot of blokes that lowered their colours on their normal performance so we didn't have a lot of blokes that would have played to their normal standard individually. We looked like we weren't able to handle Hawthorn's pressure so credit to that as it's not something they're renowned for through the midfield. We noticed it through JLT so we were expecting it, but I don't think we handled it well. We were fumbly, quick kicked when we had handball options on and around the contest we clearly didn't handle the heat as we have in times gone by, so that was an important part of the result I thought".

Is one of the ongoing frustrations that you have is that the inside 50s were even and you had 19 inside 50s for 2.7 in the last quarter, the want is there and the desire is there but you can't for a variety of reasons capitalise when it goes in
Quote:
"Our execution was particularly poor today. We couldn't get two hands to the ball and mark them and have players out and not hit them. We didn't play well. We actually played an okay structured game and that's why we were still in the contest, but we didn't execute our opportunities well enough and we didn't have enough blokes that brought their strengths to the table. You say 'ongoing', but we're one round into this year so it's a small sample size but we need to be better than that".

Going back to last year, is it an ongoing theme for you that your fundamentals are pretty good everywhere else around the ground other than that last kick [in the forward 50]?
Quote:
"Potentially. Cox and Reid got their hands to a lot of balls in some pretty good spots but they just didn't glove them. It was slippery conditions but it's the same for both sides. They've got dangerous small forwards getting the back over the back and then just playing that forward footy and put our defence under some real pressure in the middle part of the game. Once again, that's a basic as well, bring the ball in front and punch it out and then reset rather than allow those little blokes to go to work. So there were a few things we didn't like about it".

You talk about execution, how big a factor is it when you miss five or six players and is it a difference in class?
Quote:
"We had the personnel to get the result today and I thought the last quarter showed that. We couldn't have played more poorly in larger chunks or had less contributors and yet still be in the game. It was just a comedy of errors. Smith kicks that ball in and Tom Phillips is on the goal line and is trying to grab it and he runs over the ball in his hand and it happened to us all night. We didn't get the job done so we've let one slip".

Clarko said he wouldn't tag Tom Mitchell either because he's around the contest and potentially there's other bigger fish to fry, and given what happened last year and he had 54 touches tonight are you still content that you left him to run free?
Quote:
"No, we had Adams, Sidebottom and Crisp on him at various times after quarter time. He's a good player. He gets his hands on the ball, wins stoppage, he's probably one of the cleanest ball handlers in the shoe box in the first 5 to 10 metres and he's proving to be a really good spreader to the next contest. We tried to curb his influence but we were unable to".

Was he [Mitchell] best on ground?
Quote:
"I would have thought so"

Mitchell seems to be more damaging now than he was 12 months ago
Quote:
"He's always been a great player. I don't reckon I was being derogatory last year. He's going to keep doing what he does and he's got great strengths and all credit to him. I thought him and O'Meara early in the game from centre bounce in particular gave Hawthorn's forwards first access to it. I thought we defended pretty well in that early part with that clearance dominance. Our defenders stood up but it was too little in too many areas for us to lay any claims to feel like we were hard done by".

Mason Cox couldn't take a mark all night. His confidence would have been beaten so you do stick with him and hope it was an aberration?
Quote:
"He's been gloving them all season and he's had a really strong pre-season. I suppose it is a real test of character now of ours and of his of how he responds to that. He's getting his hands to them more often than he ever has. He's a had bad night so the challenge for him is to make it a bad night and not a normal occurrence. I'm pretty confident he'll do some damage".

Moore starts the game in defence and set up the first goal with that mark deep in defence and you switched him forward and he gives you a glimmer of hope with kicking a goal. Are you happy with the results there?
Quote:
"It was 13 goals to 7 at three quarter time. We needed to find six or seven goals and we found nine scoring shots but only two goals. We needed to throw it up. We had Hoskin-Elliott and Moore go forward and that changed the dynamic of our backline a little bit to try to get a bit more run potentially but it was circumstantial for how the game was panning out. If we were a little cleaner and little bit more composed at different times, I thought the make up of our backline and forward may have been okay but we didn't handle the pressure of the opposition and we weren't clean enough with ball use to take advantage of our structure"

I'm interested in your coaching instructions on a night like this where it's slippery but not quite proper wet weather footy, to what extent do you tell them to get it forward and to what extent do you want to use it laterally and play your normal game at Etihad for example?
Quote:
"I thought when your not clean with the ball it's pretty hard to find time and space and we weren't able to find time and space to really have an extra step to make good decisions with ball in hand. Our instructions are to move the ball the way we would normally move it, but to look to get it forward and attack the last line of the opposition's defence a little more often in conditions like this. Having said that, I thought we were too conservative in the first half. I thought we kicked long down the line and we were a little bit slow compared to where we were able to open up a little bit later. Ball use is one issue, but it was simply the execution for us that was the issue".

Did you like what you saw from Murray and Stephenson?
Quote:
"I thought they acquitted themselves well for their first game and they should hold their heads high. Stephenson runs hard and has a bit of x-factor as does Murray. I think both of those boys had a real crack and you can't expect much more from them in that sort of environment coming in, first time they played in their intensity. I thought they handled it as well as any".

Is Daniel Wells any chance [to play] for next week?
Quote:
"He played a half on the weekend. He's still building up and still has some training to do. He still has to prove his fitness I suppose for himself and for us, but he's put a two or three week training block together and the plan was always to get him round 3 and beyond and we'll see how that plan goes"

Do you know yet about getting anyone back for next week?
Quote:
"No, I don't. De Goey is a couple away. Elliott is a couple. Oxley is 1 or 2. Greenwood is going to be a little bit longer and Wells is 2 to 4 and anywhere from that with two weeks of solid training"

Josh Smith and Ben Crocker? Smith got a hammy and Crocker got a back?
Quote:
"Smith nicked his hammy in the last quarter and Crocker was just a knock so we haven't had that reviewed yet".

Did anyone in the VFL put their hand up in contention for next week?
Quote:
"We had a really solid performance and a good win. I thought Fasolo's contest was good and encouraging. Mayne was really good in quite a few roles and Blair through the middle played particularly well. Broomhead. We had a few there".

I know it's only round 1 and you're not jumping the gun, but the fans are impatient so you do feel under pressure from them at all?
Quote:
"No, not circumstantially no. We've dropped a game and it's a game we would have liked to have won, but we're 0-1. We come up against the Giants next week and we think we can perform better so that's our job".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-03-24/buckley-reviews-saturdays-loss

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 am

Maybe it's because I've been worn down to the point of not caring but for someone who believed Buckley shouldn't have been reappointed last season and has hopefully provided constructive criticism supporting that view in the past I just don't feel like slashing my wrists about another wasted season after one round.

Yes tonight was hugely disappointing but it shouldn't have been unexpected.

The Hawthorn team still looked strong on paper to me and the forward line in particular is stacked with proven goal kickers and premiership stars, Stratton, Frawley and Sicily are all more than capable defenders while Mitchell, Smith and the ever improving O'Meara are high production midfield talents.

While Elliott, Fasolo, de Goey and Wells mightn't have the stats to match a Gunston, Breust, Rioli etc they still represent the better avenues to goal we have and play a critical role in our side.

Take 3 or 4 of your best out of the one area of the ground (which is the most critical aspect)
in any side and the chances of them winning against an opponent of similar or better quality are slim.

I'm not looking to make excuses as Hawthorn looked the better drilled side and our history against them under Buckley is very poor but I was always worried heading into tonight as those 4 players are probably worth 5 or 6 goals to our side and replacing those lost goals was always going to be difficult with who was available.

Not much confidence will be found during the week on the boards heading into the game against GWS but our record is surprisingly good against them so lets see if the side is capable of displaying some real backbone and can bounce back for some victories in the coming rounds.

For a little while longer at least lets keep the faith.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:55 am

F**k faith. I called it 20 mins into JLT 1.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:41 am

^ Jezza, many thanks for doing the presser summary. It is a much appreciated service.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:06 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Oh lordy - I give up. Go for it you pessimists and negative critics!!! Laughing Laughing Any chance of doing me a favour and being constructive in your criticism and not personally rubbishing the greats (of various ilks) of our club while you're doing it?
I just can't understand how that amounts to supporting a club. Just my personal bent.

Supporting a club also demands being a realist; not a pandering toady.
It's round 1, and countless posters on this forum, myself included have simply had a GUTFUL of Buckley, and possibly McGuire.

Firstly, 2 years was too much of an extension for this coach; should have been one year max, to match our levels of tolerance.

All we can say for certain, is that Buckley has slaughtered another pre-season, with the previous 6 months now WASTED, as we will without a doubt fall behind the other teams jockeying for a spot in the eight.
By the time the disposal efficiency improves to an even remotely acceptable standard, the horse will have bolted and there will be too much ground to make up.

And if I were to quote every correct observation about tonight's pathetic performance in the previous ten pages, it would take one half an hour to read it.

Seems like every two years or so, we dish up the most putrid, retarded efforts that one can imagine, in round one...

I gave us away when we started that kicking the ball backwards shit again, coughing it up several times. We all knew we were GONE at half time; admit it.

Seriously, how long did it take Moron-central in the coaches box to determine Varcoe was the only player we had physically, to match up on Burgoyne?!

I thought we gifted Whorethorn a larger percentage of their goals through our sheer ineptitude, and piss weak second efforts; for example: Grundy not taking the ball over the goal line, Langdon's inexplicably weak chase and effort to tackle on Bruest in the third term, Hoskin Elliotts's poor chase and reading of Puopolo's[?] turning circle in the same quarter. And all the marks [utter sodas] we split, and not only Cox, while they made it look like they were kicking a dry ball around all night?!

Also, how about everybody shut the f*ck up with the incessant whingeing over Cox? If the weather had been dry, you know very well he would have taken a large percentage of those grabs, instead of the ball falling to two Whorethorn players because our idiots were nowhere to be seen, or simply running up and down on the spot. If Cox is getting bodied under the ball, it's probably because our coaches are shithouse; and you know they are.
These are possibly the wettest conditions he has played in, and he is finding it very challenging indeed; he will learn a hell of a lot from tonight's game.
Many other players in the side WON'T, basically because they are lazy, complacent, over rated [by this forum mainly], ball slaughtering hacks.

And bravo Jordan DeDrunkard; tonight was the butterfly effect from your selfishness; tow the line or f*ck off. We were one capable midfielder short from making this a genuine contest tonight, and you can wear some blame.

And f*ck me sideways, we missed Goldsack out there alright, our barometer for physical aggression and flying the flag.

So yeah Pies, keep up these shithouse efforts, and we'll see how long the constructive criticisms last in the post match forums here... and I'm letting you off lightly tonight too; but be wary of the jaded fans with shredded patience and waning tolerance for ineptitude of this magnitude.

And for what it's worth - Jonathon Brown was justified; you really do play like you train. Football FACT, across all leagues and codes. Simplez.

Dyso rant over. *sigh*

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:41 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
F**k faith. I called it 20 mins into JLT 1.

I called it after watching Bucks coach us in the very 1st quarter of his very 1st game.... a life time ago

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:09 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
... I got the impression from his [Hine's] answers that he (and Bucks) prefer beige 'by the numbers' players inside 50. Staggering.

What precisely do you mean by "by the numbers"?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:23 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
masoncox wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
masoncox wrote:
Raw Hamer you just don't get it!
It is all about model ctizens first and footballers a long last.
It is all about the boys scouts than about kicking the leather thru the big sticks. Boy, get with the new age please. When they leave the Club they would have had years focusing on being the best neighbor, the best husband, the best work buddy.
What a wonderful job we are doing for society.

If this was actually the case, then JDG would probably have been moved on by now.

When we recruited JDG there were no black stains.
If JDG came on the market from another Club now....would we chase him?..the answer would be no.

Hahaha. Pretty much what I just typed!

This popular view is something I find unconvincing. I don't see any strong (or weak) negative correlation between citizen qualities and football qualities. In the quite recent past, for example, Buckley and Clement were model citizens off-field, and this did not mess up their on-field achievements. Who are all these night-clubbing, alcohol-loving bad boys with exquisite skills that we missed out on?

The JDG thing is also odd. What is the basis for the belief that he has so much on-field mongrel? He played an excellent game against WCE, but it can hardly be said to have been based on mongrel. And, standing beside Sier in the intra-club match, he didn't look to have much physical presence either. On the other hand, Maynard has on-field mongrel, without giving us cause for concern off-field.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:04 am

masoncox wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
I raised our front and centre issues with Derek Hine face to face at the post season members' forum a couple of years ago. Asked whether we were looking at Brandon Matera, Josh Green cheaply, why we didn't try to get Jeff Garlett for a 5th round pick instead of Melbourne. I got the impression from his answers that he (and Bucks) prefer beige 'by the numbers' players inside 50. Staggering.

Raw Hamer you just don't get it!
It is all about model ctizens first and footballers a long last.
It is all about the boys scouts than about kicking the leather thru the big sticks. Boy, get with the new age please. When they leave the Club they would have had years focusing on being the best neighbor, the best husband, the best work buddy.
What a wonderful job we are doing for society.

And yet we produce the often club- suspended DeGoey. Brink on the new rat pack I say!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17   

Jump to: