Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rumour (now a REPORT): Jordan DeGoey set to re-sign

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wouldn't De Goey go?

5 million over 5 years in the business that is AFL can set him up for life.

The rest is sentimentality.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he stays & want him to stay but Collingwood's offer has to be well up there I would have thought.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:29 am

Yes, those are almost lawyers' takings. Wink
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:35 am

When Dayne Beams left, we got De Goey + J Crisp & L Greenwood.

Love to see JGD stay at the club. BUT if he leaves, who knows what we can get in return.

I trust the club will get the best possible deals for ourselves.

Maybe, just maybe, if he leaves, and we get so & so & so, and that sets us up to win another 3 flags in the years to come. Smile Who knows. Gooooo Pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:47 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

How much does De Goey pay for his clerk, PI insurance (in case he drops a chest mark again), locker and playing certificate?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:22 am

Leigh Mathews reckons he's not worth anywhere near that amount and not even amongst the top 50 players in the AFL. Thanks Lethal. Cool
didick 

didick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:23 am

watt price tully wrote:
Why wouldn't De Goey go?

Don't get me wrong, I hope he stays & want him to stay but Collingwood's offer has to be well up there I would have thought.

If he can't set himself up for life on say $4M over 5 years, then he has problems. And if he's with a team that is contending in that time and becomes a premiership player it probably has the potential to make up the $1M deficit.

Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:39 am

I wouldn't blame him for going for the money. If I was his mate, I would absolutely advise him to do so.

I don't care how terrible the company, how crappy the offices, any discrepancy in the amount of work - if I was offered a 200k pay-rise, I would quit my job today. End of story. No looking back.

But in this high-profile club in a high-profile sport, the counter-weighing factors are these:

1. Jordy has worked towards a success we seem to be knotting together. That's a pretty powerful lure and to give up something you've built to go to a club that may never build anything... that's gotta give you pause.

2. That's a lot of value to attach to a kid. Are they over-valuing you? If you take their offer and deliver, congrats, you're a hero. But if you perform even a hair shy of expectations, you're a villain. Look how Pies supporters have treated and spoken about Chris Mayne for a year and a half.

3. Attendant to that, how much of your good form is innate, and how much has been inculcated in you by the systems and processes of the Collingwood Football Club? I don't say "you owe" sh_t, just that you want to consider staying, if you feel the club is pulling the best out of you.

4. What's a Collingwood Premiership Medallion worth to you? If a North Premiership Medallion +$1M is around the mark, do it. If not, don't.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:53 am

Lets just accept he is gone! Also we wont get two first rounders. Remember hes out of contract and can go into the draft if he wants and theres not many examples of players going that option and not landing where they want.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:05 pm

Wayne Carey:

"But if De Goey is seriously considering leaving for the Godfather offer his manager referred to a few weeks ago, then perhaps he should think again."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/big-money-de-goey-deal-too-risky-for-north-and-de-goey-20180628-p4zo7s.html
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:43 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

How much does De Goey pay for his clerk, PI insurance (in case he drops a chest mark again), locker and playing certificate?

Next to nothing, like me, I expect.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:56 pm

didick wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Why wouldn't De Goey go?

If he can't set himself up for life on say $4M over 5 years, then he has problems. And if he's with a team that is contending in that time and becomes a premiership player it probably has the potential to make up the $1M deficit.

This. Stays at Collingwood he will set himself up for life irrespective of accepting lower in the short term.

Long term, he would do better as a Collingwood player than a North player.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Why wouldn't De Goey go?

But the players do seem to suffer from sentimentality. It is established that there is a current-club discount.

I wonder how much personal sponsorship etc. is affected by the club one plays for. I guess it depends on how good the player. For a minor player the club might make a big difference, but for a star maybe no difference.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:04 pm

didick wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Why wouldn't De Goey go?

I'm not sure I could live a full and contented life on $4mil.
$5mil however, now we're talkin' Wink

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 pm

K wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Why wouldn't De Goey go?

But the players do seem to suffer from sentimentality. .......

That's why they have player managers.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:14 pm

De Goey might be delaying his re-signing until Darcy Moore's contract situation is resolved. Both are very close mates and came to Collingwood from the Oakleigh Chargers (see the opening minutes of this club video from 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFuOmkHCYcA ).

So, the question may not be whether De Goey will re-sign with the Pies, but whether Moore will. Get one and you get the other. Both may prefer to stay at Collingwood but Buckley has said that currently Moore's place in the team is unresolved now that the Grundy/Cox combo has proved to be a success. Probably, Moore looks like playing a defender's role in the future which perhaps does not give him much joy if he has career ambitions for a Brownlow, of which he is capable of achieving one day. Another team may offer a forward role to Moore (and more money) and if he takes it De Goey may feel free to leave as well now that his best mate at the Pies is going.

Last edited by Woods on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14   

Jump to: