Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies win another thriller. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thanks, Landers.

Not going to lie, I was still very worried the deficit would be too steep to overcome. I even wondered to myself whether being 5 goals down despite having some momentum at 3QT was a bridge too far for us.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:52 am

piedys wrote:
Damien wrote:
Got the important 4 points but rest assured Fly wouldn’t have liked a lot of what he saw today.
BUT I think the bye has come at the perfect time and he’ll cut the players some slack for the arduous program and missing stars that we’ve had to endure.

We’re set up beautifully now for the scene half of the season.

True true...

Just sit them all down for the standard forensic dissection video of the game early in week, lay down any home truths, then just let them decompress, lick their wounds and come back refreshed next week with a bit more spring in their step.

It's somewhat of a rough ride towards September, in a marathon, not a sprint.

As Malthouse has said many times, correct. He also said, mentally, a side only has to be just 2% off, any side, and can lose to any lower side. Its mindgames,this was Norfs GF, and they played accordingly. But we got out of it, and hit back hard, got the win,now 3rd and now we rest up, an re load.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:58 am

Fly's presser

That was one of the biggest comebacks in VFL/AFL history. What are your emotions after that?
Quote:
"That was a struggle. It really was a struggle. There's so many layers to it. North Melbourne's incredible want and desire and youthful enthusiasm. I think they kicked 14 goals, 2 [behinds] from set shots and 18 goals, 4 [behinds] and two of those rushed. They played right at a level of a team that's not down the bottom. That's reality, so you argue at different points of view but their midfield was exceptional, their work rate, their energy. I've always had huge respect for Clarko, everyone knows that but there's a lot of excitement I'm sure for North out of today. They've set a standard for themselves".

In the second half, it looked like you threw the magnets around with Reef McInnes being substituted on and Jeremy Howe and Nick Daicos being shifted up forward. Did that give you the mix up you needed to get the game back on your terms?
Quote:
"We had to try something because their mids were dominant. Their pressure was really strong. We were scoring okay going inside 50 but we weren't getting it there enough. We had to try some things. We've got some flexibility in our team. Billy Frampton goes back, Howie goes forward. We just thought we'd have some experience forward and then Nick [Daicos] was getting tagged heavily and we thought we just put him forward and get him to do a couple of things. Chip away, chip away. We're still a long way down at 3QT. For everything we were doing to get the scoreboard a little bit more in our ledger, they [North Melbourne] were scoring when they went inside 50 so it was a struggle".

Were you surprised Will Phillips was subbed out considering the strong tagging job he was doing on Nick Daicos?
Quote:
"I'm not sure what their thinking was, so I won't go into things I don't know".

Can you take us inside half time. What was discussed in the rooms and how did you turn it around?
Quote:
"There were pretty simple messages. They had had 60 uncontested marks and they were kicking the ball through us really easily so we had to improve that. We showed some footage around that. There was some stark vision that I showed around our pressure and players in the screen that really weren't involved in it. They were there, well, their jumpers were, but their intent wasn't there. That's not a level that we expect or want. We were no chance to have any chance in this game unless we got that part of our game right. In ball movement opportunities, we showed some footage of ways that we could attack them that we weren't missed opportunities, so it was around defence and pressure and the way we can move the ball".

You said you were 'chipping away', Clarko described it as "Russian roulette" footy when you're trying to win?
Quote:
"You have to take more risk, that's reality. When the scoreboard is against you, you got to take more risk so that provides opportunity to turn the ball over. We do have method in that though, I don't think we just go and make it up. We've practiced this over and over again. We've been in positions regularly, probably more than most that we've got a good method for that. The players can go into that mode of transport, but again it's not without risk".

How proud are you of Nick Daicos to fight through the tag and be a significant player in your win?
Quote:
"He's a marvel, isn't he? He was sick yesterday. He was a chance not to play. When you come into training and Nick has gone home sick, you [think] 'Oh God'. You know the old like-for-like magnet, we don't have one of those. I didn't sleep that well and didn't really want to check the phone this morning to see if he was going to be OK and getting tagged well. They've been doing some good jobs on him in the last couple of weeks but he just finds a way to get into game. It's through work rate. You watch his work rate contest to contest and I'm really proud of him".

How close was Nick Daicos from not playing? You made the decision to hold back Ed Allan from playing VFL.
Quote:
"I don't know, I didn't check my phone. I just wasn't interested. We had to have a conversation with Ed [Allan] yesterday when we left 'to be ready mate, we're not sure what's going to happen'".

How important is that game for Lachie Schultz?
Quote:
"He's been getting toward this. His last month playing a bit of a slightly different role, a bit more of a key forward for us. His marking presence has been on display this week and last week. Doing a lot of off the ball stuff that most don't see, but we acknowledge and rewarded. He got rewarded on the scoreboard today, he kicked 4 [goals]. He's growing in confidence week by week and we really love and value what he does for us".

Who's taken the better mark this year? Jamie Elliott or Bobby Hill?
Quote:
"That was a good one wasn't it? Bobby [Hill] is one of those players in our team that been doing so many things for others and then working and working and then funnily enough his GPS in last quarters is the best of anyone in our team and we acknowledged that yesterday. He's setting up others for goals and goal assists and every now and again he's sort of sitting there [thinking] 'I wouldn't mind a little lick of the ice cream here and there', but he just keeps doing the stuff the team needs and today he kicked 5 [goals] and 3 in the last quarter. When the game is there to be won, he just turned it on for us. He's another one we love and appreciate".

You will be in the top 4 for the first time this season despite a slow start to the season and coming back from 54 points down today to win this match. What does this overall package do for the belief of the team heading into the second half of the season defending the Premiership?
Quote:
"We get back to work when we get back to work. We have the bye now, so we reset. I mentioned to the boys this is not a full stop, it's a comma. We need to take a breath. The ladder position will be what it will be. But we've had a really tough stretch here. The last five or six games, we are fighting hard and you guys know the magnets don't look the same. We're throwing guys around, there is young guys playing roles that we've had 300 game experience in and a makeshift forward line for most of the last six to eight weeks and we've only lost one game in that period, which ideally stands us in good stead. Today was a lot of good and then a lot of work to be done too. All it does is gets us to now"

Who do you expect to get back?
Quote:
"I think there's quite a few at the gates ready to jump out of the blocks post-bye. I don't know exactly all of them, but I think Mihocek probably would have played today. I think Jordy [De Goey] has really taken huge steps forward so I think he'll be a big chance to play. Pendles I'm not sure. Maybe or maybe not. Checkers, I said that didn't I?".

On Monday, you alluded to Brayden Maynard experiencing some personal challenges. He spoke about it on the TV broadcast. Can you give us your insight on how challenging it has been for him to play in the last two weeks?
Quote:
"Oh did he? Respectfully you can see why I didn't say anything because it's not my place to speak about other than make you aware that this young lad is dealing with a bit. We wanted to honour Bruzzy today. It was his 200th game, but Bruzzy is more than that. He's a spiritual leader for us. He cares for others more than anyone in our environment and so today was an opportunity to care for him and appreciate him. At 3QT, I was pretty pointed. I thought the only one honouring Bruzzy was him and I pointed to the other 21 or 22 [players] 'come on, pull your finger out we owe this guy so much, he does so much for us'. It was nice to carry him off with a smile in his face because he deserves it".

You mentioned the guys coming back and you've only lost 1 game in this period. What does it do for the confidence of the guys after this good run you've had with these experienced guys close to returning?
Quote:
"It builds belief. It does. It shows that Kreugs can play a role for us. Others have gotten more experience. There's a lot of belief in the group, absolutely. Our best is really hard to play against, but there's no guarantees in anything. Better magnets if you want to call it that doesn't guarantee anything. We still got to go and get the job done. We've proven in the last period that we haven't needed Pendles and Jordy to a certain degree. The others have been able to do a great job for us so we value contribution that our group looks like it has more depth, but it will still be challenged for the rest of the year".

What did you make of Tew Jiath?
Quote:
"Showed some signs. I think this is what I was thinking, we'd see little moments for the young lad. He looks like an AFL player. Got huge AFL traits. He'll be better for the experience. I think he's going to be a really nice player for us and wasn't sure how much of the traits we'd see today because he's right at the start of his journey. It's a good day and proud day for his family and I'm sure there's many more games to come".

Will Oleg Markov be available post-bye?
Quote:
"You'd think so, yeah. He jarred his back like I said during the week so he'd be another one to add to the list [to return]. I think there's a couple of more, but I can't think of them at the minute".

You've exposed a lot of youth in the last 6-8 weeks, but Harry DeMattia hasn't featured yet. Is he close?
Quote:
"He's warming, he is. He had a bit of time off with that finger and missed a lot of footy so he's been playing on the wing for us and his best game was last week versus Casey [Demons]. He's warming towards opportunities and whether they come, time will tell".

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1153261/full-post-match-r14-magpies?videoId=1153261&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1718521196001

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:52 am

Ok confession time
At half time I posted I’m going to mow grass which I did out of pure frustration (plus I have 40 acres of lush grass which with all the recent rain has got out of control and needs doing)
So I pulled that tractor out had a 6 pack of can beer in a little esky put them on the tractor and off I went for a couple hours
I got home showered spoke to the good wife about dinner and went to the lounge room.
Turned on the TV to be confronted with the vision we had won !!
I was like WTF happened
So I have foxtel IQ so I record every game so I can rewatch it at my own leisure.
So I fast forwarded to half time and sat through the second half.
It was a truly amazing turn around and I’m glad we won keep our top 4 chances well alive. Given we play Essendon in a couple weeks a win against them and we are well and truly in the top 4

Ok I won’t comment about what was dished up in the first half it was horrid I think we all agree.
I don’t know how to feel about the game in a few ways
We let the wooden spoon favourite kick 19 goals against us
But the other side of the coin is our much depleted forward line managed to find a way to kick enough to secure the win.
Hill and Schulz looked dangerous every time the ball went inside 50.
Harrison just bobs up when needed
Ok so what changed ?
We moved some magnets around
Howe forward, Frampton back, Sidey to the middle, McCreery to a run with role and we basically played like we had nothing to lose.
McCreery role shouldn’t be underestimated he did very good job on LDU.
Phillips being subbed didn’t make sense considering how well he played on Nick.
Wardlaw being of was a bonus he can’t run out 4 quarters yet obviously
That opened the gates for Nick to do things that only Nick does
For mine I think we learned a couple things yesterday
Frampton plays his best football down back. He has no forward craft but as last man in defence he plays well. Moore isn’t the guy you want being last man in defence he plays better being able to zone off when required.
Krueger is a beast. He has that competitive edge we need from a big man.
IQ and Noble need to really be more accountable for opponents.
McRae isn’t upto AFL standard and sadly I don’t know if he will ever be. He’s a teaser. Some weeks you see signs and think yep he’s going to make it then next week nope.
Overall heading into the bye sitting in the top 4 given who isn’t available to play the past month is a great effort
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:21 am

What a great game. I was with some roos mates and the crowd was so excited in the last quarter, it was knife edge hard footy and we showed we are the best. From the concourse standing area it looked like the roos last point was a goal the way the umpire stood so they were celebrating. (prematurely)
Bobby and Schultz dominate the goal kicking when they are usually 2 - 3 goals max.
McCreery finding a role as a tagger ? He often doesn't get much of the ball so this could be good in future.
Overall a different game for us but a win as usual - I love the pies.

duggieboy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:38 am

^^
I was like you QldMagpie67, checked in & saw the half time score as we were driving down the north island & thought "what????!! - the boys have checked out early, this game is gone".

Could not believe my eyes when I finally saw the result.

Will get to the replay today but by all accounts a hard one to sum up, given the opposition & our current plugging of holes. Thankfully we'll get some ammo back after the bye

One thing though - apparently Fly told them they weren't standing by Bruzz in his 200th. Did anyone else see this reported? Cheers
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:19 am

Still cannot believe how we won

As for the venting in game day thread yes you can do it but it puts a lot of posters off visiting the game day threads

think better 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:40 am

Special mention to WHE - - he really got going in the last quarter especially and set up a number of key plays.
Croat Pie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:00 am

On Sunday morning I got up to watch my beloved Croatia take on Spain in the Euro championships and they got flogged 3-0. Looked out of sorts from the first minute.

Went to bed and told the mrs, bad luck, at least we've got the Pies to look forward to against North.

Pretty much had the same scenario sitting through those first 2.5 quarters, I thought the weekend couldn't get any worse and then the revival started. We had no business winning that... North were great and we weren't for a majority of the game. But we find a way.

Now it's time for a bit of a recharge, get some players back and then make a charge. Really looking forward to the rest of the season. I'd hate to be playing us in the finals, no matter where we finish. I really think other teams would be shitting themselves.
duggieboy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:03 am

neil wrote:
Still cannot believe how we won

As for the venting in game day thread yes you can do it but it puts a lot of posters off visiting the game day threads

Couldn't agree more, Neil. Nicely, simply put. Am one of those who is "put off" by the negativity - I guess that's the lens that half the population look through.

I used to really enjoy when we had the goal flags operating; bit of fun, bit of a hoot every time we snagged one
piffdog 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:30 am

Never quite sure who is logging in to comment while the game is on?? But I'll leave my game thread commentary there.

Was a wonderful experience to go to the game. We were poor in the first half, but some credit to their younger players too. Wardlaw and LDU should have excellent careers, and I'll reiterate m y pre-game thoughts about the potewntial of Comben.

I thought we were cooked, but hoped that we could show some resolve and get ourselves back to a couple goals down at least.

They nailed everything in the first half their set shot kicking was good and they made every post a winner. But like it always does luck swung our way as the game wore on and a combination of belief (thats undeniable), effort and skill got us the most unlikely of victories.

One of the challenges for me this year is managing expectations. I dont think its a cliche that the comp is very close. North have been bad yes, but they went away and beat WC, who previously beat the Bombers. Irrational fans will say "theyre all sh1t teams", but IMO there's just not that much in it and at the end of the day the margin is the skill/brilliance of one of a handful of players (Bont, Nick etc) and what's going on between the ears of the players when they rock up on game day. We "should" have comfortably beaten North - and lets be hoinest thats what we all expected, but atrtitude wasnt where it needed to be and we found ourselves in a scrap. Regardless of how the game started, I was pretty stoked to see us fight it out and it's funny how you get the rub of the green when you make the running...

Great momentum going into the bye and great exposure for the likes of Harrison, Sullivan, Dean (none of which looked out of place).

Thought Howe genuinely played the four quarters and Frampton looked much more likely to make a contribution in defence.

Wonder who will make way for Checkers? I prefer us to use a second ruck option out of the forward line rather than defence, so maybe Kreuger keeps that role?

Objectively I felt like we got a couple in our favour yesterday - but as a more general comment, how about the protected zone infringements?? Umps have dead set forgotten about that rule. There was one on the far wing (broadcast) in I think 3Q where Eddie Ford stood next to our guy taking a free kick and just pointed 5m away to the guy he was "standing"!! Incredulous.

I'd prefer we build and hold a margin as a game style, but was thrilled to see the team have a crack and not turn up their toes. That we were in front when the hooter blew felt like a bit of a bonus.

1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:11 am

I have to fess up I left at half time as my anxiety got the best of me not to mention the norf supporters behind me constantly bagging the Daicos brothers. Let’s face it norf we’re playing pure football in the first half and every possession was one touch and marked everything. On the flip side we fumbled everything couldn’t mark missed simple targets we were “OFF” in a big way. Was listening to the 3rd qtr on the train ride home hoping we could at least make up some of the margin to save precious percentage.

Got home in the last made a coffee and sat down and briefly looked in at game day thread too negative so abandoned that ( seriously guys some of you need to think before your type) so tuned into the radio again and to my surprise we had mounted a comeback.

Turned on Kayo to watch the last five minutes and couldn’t believe we pulled that off. Yes we were lucky with the non 50 call but they were lucky with many earlier calls which resulted in goals the Xerri fence push being one.

Anyhoo glad we pulled this out of the fire and wished I had the kahunas like my son and stayed for the win he got home with such a grin on his face saying best win he’s witnessed.

Rest and recuperate and attack the second half of the season with gusto and who knows what happens.

BARRACK HARD!
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:14 am

Thanks again Jezza, appreciate your efforts each week putting this together. This was my favourite part of Fly's presser.

Plenty of us have wondered at times, does Fly ever give an old-fashioned bake? While his answer to this question was a typically measured and considered Fly style reply, I suspect that 3qtr time address was given with a look into the soul stare to accompany gravitas of the message, that every player felt it was directed to them.
They certainly played like that.

Jezza wrote:
Fly's presser
On Monday, you alluded to Brayden Maynard experiencing some personal challenges. He spoke about it on the TV broadcast. Can you give us your insight on how challenging it has been for him to play in the last two weeks?
Quote:
"Oh did he? Respectfully you can see why I didn't say anything because it's not my place to speak about other than make you aware that this young lad is dealing with a bit. We wanted to honour Bruzzy today. It was his 200th game, but Bruzzy is more than that. He's a spiritual leader for us. He cares for others more than anyone in our environment and so today was an opportunity to care for him and appreciate him. At 3QT, I was pretty pointed. I thought the only one honouring Bruzzy was him and I pointed to the other 21 or 22 [players] 'come on, pull your finger out we owe this guy so much, he does so much for us'. It was nice to carry him off with a smile in his face because he deserves it".

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1153261/full-post-match-r14-magpies?videoId=1153261&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1718521196001

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:23 am

piffdog wrote:
Wonder who will make way for Checkers? I prefer us to use a second ruck option out of the forward line rather than defence, so maybe Kreuger keeps that role?

I was thinking about this earlier this morning, and I think it's more likely than not that he does. The obvious outs are Macrae and McInnes for Pendlebury and De Goey, and Markov probably comes back in for Jiath, but unless things are shuffled around we potentially have one too many forwards.

Having said that, the fact we're still swinging Howe and Frampton around in the middle of games suggests we could do with an extra key forward target up there so both can stay in defence. So that might be the best argument for Kreuger staying in, at least until McStay or Cox are back.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:24 am

neil wrote:

Yes, 100%.

It’s really selfish behaviour from the 2 or 3 that persist despite many posters asking them to lighten up.

Can we have 2 game threads? Us punters can then pick the one we want to sit in on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14   

Jump to: