Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell #13 Taylor Adams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
I don’t think his ball skills per se are the problem, just his judgement about how much clearance his target player needs when he is passing to them. His kicks are usually fairly accurate. He just seems to be a notch off in his judgement of distance. In any event, I’m sure the coaches are working on it.

I agree.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:29 am

Mugwump wrote:
Started to play himself back into form in the second half. The long lay off always takes a game or two to clear out cobwebs. When he’s right, His hardness and aggression and goal kicking ability are an important part of our menace. He’ll never be a Treloar - he’s just not that good. But he is a Stan
Magro, and I’m glad he’s on our side. Barring injury, we’ll see his best before the year is two-thirds over.

Adams isn't a Stan Magro. There isn't anyone playing AFL football now that plays it the way Stan did. Stan didn't have great skills but he was worth goals as every opposition player was trying to watch both him and the ball. I recall Rod Ashman missing an easy snap goal at Vic Park as he put it on his boot with his head turned back to watch Magro running at him. I don't blame him though, as Stan already had notches on his belt which included Alex Jesaulenko, Terry Bright, Keith Greig, Kim Kershaw, Arnold Briedis, John Cassin, Malcolm Blight (the last 3 in one elimination final, in response to Ron Wearmouth being ko'd by Briedis), Xavier Tanner and a host of others.

Physical intimidation used to be of value in football but I doubt it is worth much now. What Adams did with Roughead on the weekend was really a waste of time and effort. It meant nothing. Roughead was bemused if anything. Adams knew that Roughead wasn't going to respond by breaking Adams' jaw so that left Adams free to pretend he was a big tough guy. If it unsettled Roughead it was worthwhile but I doubt that many players would be concerned by it. There is no effective way to intimidate an opposition player now. Punch or elbow and it's many weeks out of the game. Bump the wrong way and its weeks out of the game. The softening of the game has now moved to tackling.

A young player coming into a team doesn't face the same sorts of physical threats that were prevalent a couple of decades ago. There is more constant pressure and more tackling than there used to be and the players are taller and faster than they used to be, but I don't believe they are as heavy or as strong as they were even 15 or 20 years ago, such is the emphasis on running now.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:32 am

Well that may be ,the decision making skill !!

The discussion when Cox kicked a ball out in front of WHE who then goaled
was that he put the ball to a space for WHE to run to

Adams did exactly the same thing to a player running toward goal and an ensuing goal—-not one comment

He is still in my 22 despite my opinion of his skill with the pill —or decision making

roar 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:48 am

Not going to happen because seems to be a Bux favourite but I would trade him to Carlton for their second rounder, if possible.

More than anything, I just don't want to see him in the backline ever again.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:17 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Started to play himself back into form in the second half. The long lay off always takes a game or two to clear out cobwebs. When he’s right, His hardness and aggression and goal kicking ability are an important part of our menace. He’ll never be a Treloar - he’s just not that good. But he is a Stan
Magro, and I’m glad he’s on our side. Barring injury, we’ll see his best before the year is two-thirds over.

Adams isn't a Stan Magro. There isn't anyone playing AFL football now that plays it the way Stan did. Stan didn't have great skills but he was worth goals as every opposition player was trying to watch both him and the ball. I recall Rod Ashman missing an easy snap goal at Vic Park as he put it on his boot with his head turned back to watch Magro running at him. I don't blame him though, as Stan already had notches on his belt which included Alex Jesaulenko, Terry Bright, Keith Greig, Kim Kershaw, Arnold Briedis, John Cassin, Malcolm Blight (the last 3 in one elimination final, in response to Ron Wearmouth being ko'd by Briedis), Xavier Tanner and a host of others.

Physical intimidation used to be of value in football but I doubt it is worth much now. What Adams did with Roughead on the weekend was really a waste of time and effort. It meant nothing. Roughead was bemused if anything. Adams knew that Roughead wasn't going to respond by breaking Adams' jaw so that left Adams free to pretend he was a big tough guy. If it unsettled Roughead it was worthwhile but I doubt that many players would be concerned by it. There is no effective way to intimidate an opposition player now. Punch or elbow and it's many weeks out of the game. Bump the wrong way and its weeks out of the game. The softening of the game has now moved to tackling.

A young player coming into a team doesn't face the same sorts of physical threats that were prevalent a couple of decades ago. There is more constant pressure and more tackling than there used to be and the players are taller and faster than they used to be, but I don't believe they are as heavy or as strong as they were even 15 or 20 years ago, such is the emphasis on running now.

Any post in 2018 that include Kim Kershaw in it has my vote!

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:06 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I don’t think his ball skills per se are the problem, just his judgement about how much clearance his target player needs when he is passing to them. His kicks are usually fairly accurate. He just seems to be a notch off in his judgement of distance. In any event, I’m sure the coaches are working on it.

I agree.

I should add that Jeremy Howe makes the same error, often with worse consequences, at least as often as Taylor Adams - probably more so. He’s just not a whipping boy, as Taylor is.

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:44 pm

Who on this site is going to be big enough to admit that they have absolutely no idea that it was Taylor Adams whose clean hands ion the goal square and brilliant ball to Jack Crisp, started the play the lead to one of our best goals of the season (Stephenson to Sidey to WHE to Thomas for the sanp - you all remember that part of it, am i right?).

Now if you missed that valuable contribution to prevent a goal at one end and set up a goal at the other, is it possible that you might actually miss (or fail to notice) most of the things Taylor Adams does so effectively for the pies on a weekly basis.

I find it interesting that when a group of people on this site decides they have it in for someone, there is nothing they can do right, and everything they do that is positive is not noticed, ignored, or written off as not very valuable......

Taylor Adams is a really valuable member of this team. Just because a lot of you cant see it, doesn't mean its not true......

Good to see that everyone can finally see what was bleeding obvious to many.... Pin head wont admit it of course ..... but that's why he is a pin head....

Last edited by E on Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:13 pm

I'm guilty of holding him to a higher standard given the price we paid no matter how damaged the goods where at the time. But he's all effort I like that. Just play within your limits Tay Tay. Like him better as a pressure forward, grunt rover than the creating Half Back that's for sure.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:48 pm

E wrote:
Who on this site is going to be big enough to admit that they have absolutely no idea that it was Taylor Adams whose clean hands ion the goal square and brilliant ball to Jack Crisp, started the play the lead to one of our best goals of the season (Stephenson to Sidey to WHE to Thomas for the sanp - you all remember that part of it, am i right?).

Now if you missed that valuable contribution to prevent a goal at one end and set up a goal at the other, is it possible that you might actually miss (or fail to notice) most of the things Taylor Adams does so effectively for the pies on a weekly basis.

I find it interesting that when a group of people on this site decides they have it in for someone, there is nothing they can do right, and everything they do that is positive is not noticed, ignored, or written off as not very valuable......

Taylor Adams is a really valuable member of this team. Just because a lot of you cant see it, doesn't mean its not true......

Yeah but he's having a real shit year, hey.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:51 pm

What did el Presidente say
“A season can turn around quickly “

So can a player,s season and like it to be Tay

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:39 pm

E wrote:

I agree, E. I'm a fan of Adams'. I have an instant like for anyone who flys the flag for the Black & White. I was at Prices Park the day Magro knocked Jezza into the next week. I was quietly cheering the day Scooter Francis sank the slipper into the West Coast boofhead over there in 1990.
It pleases me to see blokes don the stripes and play for keeps. Which is why I loved Pants, Gayfer, Kelly, et al. Adams' is another that I'd love to play beside.
He exudes passion and commitment, in my mind.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:41 pm

E wrote:

For someone who often disagrees with you I totally agree with you on this one. People have to understand players have off days as well as great days. Sometimes the role of the player changes which people often don't notice. If a player plays in an unfamiliar role as Blair has had to do at times, people take their angst out against the player, then don't acknowledge the performance of the player when he comes back into the side and makes a contribution. Then people go off at inexperienced players with kicking issues, then don't acknowledge those same players when they fix those issues and make a contribution to the team (Langdon and Phillips). A guy like Adams played some great games last year and came second in the Copeland trophy, then has injury concerns this year and has had a mixture of form, which has made him a whipping boy this year for people who have forgotten every good thing he did last year, but vividly bring up every mistake he has made this year and feel we should trade him away for a second round draft pick at the end of the year. Thank goodness none of you have anything to do with the list management people at the club.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:46 pm

Exactly::

Why did Ron Barrasi hate us cos the pea heart got belted by Barry “Hooker”
Harrison every time he went near the Sherrin in the 1958 Grand Final

Our club has countless stories of courage—Taylor Adams is one of them

roar 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Mugwump wrote:

I should add that Jeremy Howe makes the same error, often with worse consequences, at least as often as Taylor Adams - probably more so. He’s just not a whipping boy, as Taylor is.

Not even close.

MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:42 pm

Mugwump wrote:

Agreed - He needs to understand his limitations and not look for the 'Hollywood' pass!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 121, 122, 123  Next
Page 94 of 123   

Jump to: