Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-match entertainment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 6:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an airforce flypast before the GF last year. I don't remember hearing any complaints about that - what's the go?

It was ANZAC day, what do you expect - a knitting circle?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Go Pies! You are doing us Proud.

Carol

GD 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:29 pm

Hello, I am new to the board. I have to agree with the Doc. Marvelling at military displays on a day that should reflect upon everything that is wrong with war, sends, at best a mixed message to the public. Are we mourning the unnecessary loss of life through war or admiring big jets that drop bombs?
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 7:43 pm

The same jets that defend our airspace Question

There is definantly two sides to defence.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:03 pm

It wasn't really "unnounced" every year there has been planes flying over before the Anzac Day game. Most times it's a mark of respect, I do agree the bringing the ball to the game in a choper was over the top. But I do see your point though, but you have to know Australia is a long way from any country that would attack. Only thing you have to worry about it someone hijacking a Qantas Jet, or a suicide bomber (A suicidial Essendon fan aswell? Nah I'm just kidding) I think there should of been a warning before the game about planes flying over because of what's been going on in the world right now. I'll give a very good example

At the Royal Hobart Regatta one year, an old lady suffered a heart attack after two of the RAAF's World War 1 (or WW2) Aircrafts flew over. Again, only a brief warning, and in the warning ther was only mention of 1 Aircraft, and not 2. So people need to be warned about the sudden noise, because some people could get scared easily with the noise of the Aircraft, and some are just worried about the planes crashing like September 11th.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
GD 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:18 pm

Yes, the military does have its defensive elements, but there is a fine line between defence and aggression. For example, when North Korea rolls out its military hardware, are they making a statement about their defensive capacities or a threat to neighbouring South Korea. I don't want to start a political debate here (after all this should be about the Mighty Pies) all that I'm saying is that you don't really need a militaristic display to remember the fallen.
ck_nd Pisces

Pie Minister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:30 pm

I would hardly put Australia in the same boat as North Korea as Australia is not an aggressive nation. Shocked

Yes, this is a footy forum and we should get back to that... good idea GD. Smile

Carol

ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:04 pm

seems the only people trying to politicise anzac day are those who use it to spout anti-war messages. youre a disgrace alf. no one desires war and we all agree it is tragic. anzac day is not an attempt to glorify conflict but honour those who have served this country(and NZ of course), some against their will. they deserve more respect than the dribble of threads such as this.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:14 pm

ramjet21 wrote:
seems the only people trying to politicise anzac day are those who use it to spout anti-war messages. youre a disgrace alf. no one desires war and we all agree it is tragic. anzac day is not an attempt to glorify conflict but honour those who have served this country(and NZ of course), some against their will. they deserve more respect than the dribble of threads such as this.

oooooohhh that's a bit harsh saying Alf is a disgrace..i didn't see it like that, but that it did bother him, and i understand that and i'm sure it bothered lots of people, but they just forgot that the reason we have Anzac Day is to honour those that fought for us and who lost their lives in all wars and not to hold a footy match. As I said, the game is secondary to what the day represents.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:32 pm

Can I just ask one thing in here? What is tessa's problem? Tessa, what is your problem? Just lately ( and yes I am fairly new to the forum) you seem to be attacking everyone in a fairly bitter way. You have no right to say ppl they are a disgrace, especially when they are making fairly reasonable and dignifyed comments. You dont have to agree with them, but going down the route you are, I can see you are not winning too many friends. You may like to chill a bit and take some happy pills.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:38 pm

Great to see, now lets all hold hands and pray for a few wins.
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:51 pm

oooooohhh that's a bit harsh saying Alf is a disgrace..i didn't see it like that, but that it did bother him, and i understand that and i'm sure it bothered lots of people, but they just forgot that the reason we have Anzac Day is to honour those that fought for us and who lost their lives in all wars and not to hold a footy match. As I said, the game is secondary to what the day represents.[/quote]

perhaps, perhaps not. i rarely agree with alf's opinions but respect them entirely. however, on a day of national rememberance it is not the place of anyone to attempt to overshadow the day by promoting their political or moral views. it is a day for the anzacs and i will defend their right to respect. i think alf is big enough to not get flustered over an insult from me.
Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:55 pm

Ramjet and others ...

If you read my post again you'll notice that I was not objecting to the commemoration of ANZAC Day, as such.

The minute's silence and the Last Post are respectful of the memory of the fallen ... and are therefore entirely appropriate.

My objection is to the display of military hardware. That sort of thing encourages a war-like mentality ... which goes against my understanding of "Lest We Forget".

For the veterans of past wars, ANZAC Day is a great chance to get together with the people they shared the experience of war with. And I certainly don't begrudge them that.

For the rest of us, I believe ANZAC Day should be about solemn remembrance ... not flexing our military muscles for the next big stoush.

My last word on this ...

.... till next year Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: