Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best Team since 1970

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies rock Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed, myself and my dad have hated Tony Shaw even before his horror coaching spell. We wouldn't have him in the best 500 players to play for Collingwood. All he ever did was get in the way and stop our run on.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:44 pm

Shaw wasn't the fastest guy going round but he was gutsy and he worked his guts out and he loved the club.

His coaching record doesn't reflext his ability I thought - he did some very astute things both on and off the field - including getting Noel Judkins. Some of the recruits we have today are from his era, but have taken time to develop.

I fell sorry for him, but really he should've waited before entering coaching.

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
ed healey 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 2:48 pm

well young pies rock i find that amazing.
Tony shaw was playing footy when you were born!
what you mean is your father has told you to hate him.
Now that i also find incredibly silly.
In 1990 when shaw held aloft the trophy that every true pie supporter had waited 32 years for,and then won the norm smith medal did your dad go out and spew?
give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are sounding abit like a dill young fellow.
fist you say you are 19 and then you have hated tony shaw for years.
I dont think you are a pie fan at all.
Tony didnt do well as a coach,he didnt have the players,and his recruiting was suspect, but he was the heart and soul of collingwood as a player and if you hated him at the time im sorry young fella but you are a dill.

magpie joffa 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 5:19 pm

PIES ROCK

You dont know what you are talking about, tony shaw was one of the best he was tough and very brave.
Tony Shaw through sheer dtermination won a lot of games for collingwood i suggest you should get the video 'captain corageous' and then come back and say as you put it 'got in the way'
You either dont know anything about football or just trying to seek some form of attention.

'My God'i wouldnt go into hoddle street tonight for quids'.Bill jacobs 3aw, minutes after our premiership'That is like winning tattslotto and losing your ticket and some bloke puts it in the herald sun that he found it'Rex Hunt 3aw during the 1990 grand final'Well thats about as useful as a fly wire door in a submarine'sammy newman 3aw during the 1990 grand final

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 8:28 pm

Pies Rock, this may rate as the stupidest thing ever posted. Shaw failed as a coach but we wouldn't have got up in 1990 without him. End of Story.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 1:20 am

Brown26 I think you summed it up well. Agree with everything you said.

Ed, I can't agree with you re McCormack. He was as serviceable as they come but he lacked Morwood's class. It would be a nice delema to have now but I'd pick Morwood ahead of McCormack because of his skills.

pants42 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 2:05 am

Just to throw another candidate into the mix for fullback, Peter Eakins,only played 32 matches struck down with knee injuries he was class and unfortunatley was the catalyst for the pay dispute at the club.Shaw was a great little leader for our club gave his all and deserves to be in the team.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:40 am

Pants, I think you are placing too much emphasis on his WA reputation and not enough on his Collingwood contribution. Garry Shaw was a star in WA too (cringe).

The Zapper 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:02 am

Everyone's comments on the team I put together are really interesting. From my point of view I had a tough choice leaving out 2 players. Kevin Worthington and Craig Davis. The only reason I left Worthington out is that I had Kelly at full back and given they were similar type players, i could not fit both in. Also i did not want to leave out Shane Morwood who got better each year he was at Vic park and was brilliant from 1988 onwards.

Craig Davis was a top player who regurlarly kicked bags of goals. I was thinking of playing him half forward but you could not drop Carman or Daicos now could you! I think Carman played much better as a mobile forward.

I note all your comments on McCormack. The only problem he had was against big framed forwards but that wasn't too often. Just thought Kelly had more prescence in the backline and had to be there and there is no way I was leaving Billy Picken out.

Damn fun picking that side I can tell you....

pants42 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:10 am

Mark, I agree he did come with huge wraps i only saw him play with the pies, as i say only a candidate.I would put Clifton and others ahead of him because of the longevity factor, but if he had not had a shortened playing career on what imho witnessed he would have been higher on the scale.

MarkT 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 5:13 am

Fair comment Pants.
Zappa, I would love to Wortho there but ya can't put 'em all in can ya? I really think if didn't have the knee problems that he had he would have been a cert.

On that note, Ronnie McEwan would have been a great player but for his bad feet and legs. The bloke was an athletic young CHF and ended up a strait line FB and occassional FF. I remember a game against Essendon where he kicked 7 or so from CHF and took a screamer as a youngster. I remeber a similar game against the Swans too. He had the tradegy of his twins dying and also of being left out of the 1990 side. He was also the one who nearly got us back into the game in last Q v St.Kilda in the 1992 "Elimination" final. Unfortunatley we never saw anything like his best.

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 6:05 am

Hey you guys have forgotten Rene Kink,Murray Weiderman,Des Tuddenham,Bob Rose,Len Thompson....now whois showing there age.What about Lou is is he a bit old in the tooth.Back in the 60's and 70's the PIES were the best,but just couldnt crack it for a 'flag'
Catch you later
Peter in sunny Lurnea NSW

Peter.w.Herman
GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:08 am

HEY WHAT ABOUT GEOFF HAYWARD?AFTER ALL HE HELPED US WIN THE FLAG AND WHAT ABOUT A REAL CULT HERO GERALD BETTS

PeterWH Scorpio

www.peakhillfm.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:14 am

Hey wasnt Heywood in that movie called 'THE CLUB" or am I in the wrong era.

Peter

Peter.w.Herman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: