Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Thoughts on the rest of the year

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

no need for massive changes, we had a poor night. nothing more.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:11 pm

Albow wrote:
Just remember we were belted by cellar dwellars Fitzroy leading up to the finals to the the tune of 80 odd points in 1990.

How would the Cats supportes have felt after Collingwood beat them by 102 points last year...

We all feel very bad right now... but there are still good things to come.

If not now then it could be next year... could be the year after...

Thrashings happen... but the sun still came up! Razz

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:15 pm

You sound like a scientist.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:21 pm

I am... and you need to come back for your re-wiring...
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:34 pm

I expect that we beat Carlton this week. I'll look at Richmond afterwards.

For those who are interested:

2007 expectations (pre-season '07 as judged by NicksBB) - http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=34836&highlight=expectations

2006 expectations (pre-season '05/06 as judged by NicksBB) - http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=26771&highlight=expectations
Captain_MyCaptain Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:40 pm

frankiboy wrote:
I'm getting a little tired of this "we've done better than expected" every time we lose. Most Collingwood supporters would've had the team finishing in the bottom half of the 8 which is where we were before last night and still are today. We've now set new a standard and shoud expect a top 4 finish, no excuses. Anything less would be considered a failure. I don't expect to win the flag, never did, I do understand the club has a built great foundation for sustained success but top 4 this year and at least one finals win is a must

That's all fair enough Franki, but the fact is we HAVE done better than first expected. This is our first belting for the year and hopefully our last.
5 more games, 5 more wins and we will be top 4 material...I hope.
cheers mate.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:54 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
So if we do play our up and comig kids, and I think we should be playing more of them at the moment, who goes out?

My changes would be:

Out: Lonie, Licuria, Didak (rest), Goldsack (rest)

In: (from) R. Shaw, Clement, Isles, Cox, Stanley, Toovey, Dick, Davies.

Richards should stay in on the basis that there is no viable replacement for him at the moment.

The good thing about these changes is that we have good players to replace them.

I like the look of what you have here rocket ,but I think Dids needs as much game time as possible due to no pre season,otherwise very sound logic.
dish Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:16 pm

We have been to good all year to drop away now
I think we might be a year off having a real crack at it but you just never know
surfer1 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:39 am

I said this two weeks ago and still say it, for the life of me I cannot understand the selection of Toovey Byran and Lica
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:43 am

Albow wrote:
Just remember we were belted by cellar dwellars Fitzroy leading up to the finals to the the tune of 80 odd points in 1990.

seriously mate what does that have to do with this year if anything you could argue that this season mirrors last season.

Interesting to note MM say that it is a different team than last year well it is and it isn't the midfield has barely changed and the ruck situation has gotten worse.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:49 am

Albow wrote:

It was 83 points by Hawthorn and they were the reigning premier

Clement 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:52 am

We got belted by Fitzroy in 1992.

It cost us top place and we went out to St kilda by 5 points at AFL park when the finals system was very squew if.

Ronnie Mckewon kicked 5 goals and Stewie Loewe had about 200 marks on Christian.

Leigh Matthews refused to play Daicos in the middle until it was too late and the master almost pulled it out of the fire. But alas, same old, same old.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:45 am

As I see it, we've been carrying a couple of serious structural weaknesses in our side for about a decade.

Firstly, everyone here is aware of our weakness in the ruck. This problem has been allowed to fester for too long, and the result is that Josh is absolutely exhausted. This year, the only player who has ever looked like providing a bit of ruck support has been Richards. It's pathetic, but he's all we've got. He must be played for the remainder of the season.

Secondly, we've been lacking a classy midfield brigade for probably 15 years! I've been an admirer and defender of Licca for ages, but his time is up. Sure his heart alone will guarantee him possessions each week, but they rarely have any impact on the game. We need impact players.

I'm hesitant to bag O'Bree because I reckon he's actually had a good year, can usually get the ball and has the pace to run with it and make space. But he's just a player, no star for sure. If we're building for the future, then his spot must come under scrutiny.

Burns has had a terrific year, but I reckon the season is a bit too long for him. He might bounce back, but he needs quality midfielders around him so he can be used in spurts off the bench.

The players that worry me the most are currently Swan and Johnno. They were supposed to form the core of our midfield, but have dropped off in spades. I don't know if they are carrying injuries or are simply lacking confidence, but they have been flat for several weeks.

So what do we do now? Obviously the return of Pendles and Clarke will make a difference, but more needs to be done. For starters, we've got an abundance of half back flankers, so why not throw one of the Shaws in the middle? I've been hearing all year about the class of Wellingham, so let's play the kid and see what he's got. Otherwise, let's give Dick another go.

I'm also disappointed that Medhurst has not been given an opportunity to spend some time in the middle as he always seems to get a bag of possessions when he's used there down at Willi. He's a fierce competitor, great tackler, is strong, and he weaves and moves like a midfielder. It's time he was given the chance to get more involved in the game.

What other issues do we face?

Unfortunately Bryan has proved an embarassment. I like his grunt, but he's simply a very ordinary player. Toovey is a VFL player only. Cook might have a future, but not yet. Maxwell only really plays well as a loose man in defence, and suffers from the Jason Cloke weakness of not being able to regularly beat a direct opponent.

I'm surprised that Cox has not been given more of a chance. He's got a bit of class about him, has height, pace and good disposal skills. He's so mobile he could even be played as a midfielder.

In defence, I actually reckon we looked better when Wakelin was down there. I realise that Presti received a couple of bad knocks to the head last night, but the modern game requires attack from defence and I don't think he's capable of it. I'd much rather have Wakelin in the side. He takes more marks, has more run, and is a more creative player. If Presti stays in the side, then perhaps O'Brien could do with a spell at Willi to freshen up a bit.

So where do we go from here?

Outs:

Licca
Bryan
Toovey
Cook
Presti/O'Brien

Ins:

Pendles
Clarke
Wellingham/Dick
Wakelin
Richards

Overall there is a staleness and sameness about our game atm, similar to last year's finish. Regardless of results, it's time to put a stop to that now. We need to freshen up our team and our game plan.
Clement 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:46 am

Great post RB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: