Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Lexu$ Centre, has it enriched the club?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the club will make a decent social club if they get a proper training oval and grandstand, or maybe they won't be bothered since they have the Pubs all over the place.

My point in asking was from memory, there wasn't a great array of food or space at Vic park if you wanted to drop in for a coffee or go for a beer after a game. I called in a couple of times during the week after work and there was only a handfull of old gaffers mumbling into their glasses watching training.

I loved Vic Park for it's history. The facilities weren't good.

arb 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
How many people could Vic Park cater for after a game in the bar/social club etc?

At least you could spill out into the stands and onto the ground - can't see that happening at Lexus...
Clement 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:33 pm

Vic park was 5 billion times better than Lexus. I still remember that Thursday night training before the 1990 Grand Final. It may have been the greatest moment in the Collnigwood football club.

Until Lexus meets that point, it is just a place to get pis$ed.
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
virgomag wrote:
Can't complain too much about the prices at the Lexus, $2.80 for a beer against $5.20 at the MCG and the couple of times I've eaten there I couldn't complain about the quality of food or service.

But................. I am concerned at the lack of space for the number of supporters, it'll just break people up into their own little sections at whatever venues/pubs/cafe's etc. around the city.

We should be united and not divided, regardless of what sort of membership you may or may not have.

How many people could Vic Park cater for after a game in the bar/social club etc?

No more than several hundred. The criticisms are msdirected.

We want to win premierships. IF we stayed at Vic Park it wouldnt happen. Players need modern facilties and that is what we have here. That's life. Vic Park was good but we stayed there 20 years too long.

We no longer use fountain pens either. Time marches on.

If you want to have a drink we own several hotels to cater for those who are alcohol deprived.
Clement 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:44 pm

Shane Whelan wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
virgomag wrote:
Can't complain too much about the prices at the Lexus, $2.80 for a beer against $5.20 at the MCG and the couple of times I've eaten there I couldn't complain about the quality of food or service.

But................. I am concerned at the lack of space for the number of supporters, it'll just break people up into their own little sections at whatever venues/pubs/cafe's etc. around the city.

We should be united and not divided, regardless of what sort of membership you may or may not have.

No more than several hundred. The criticisms are msdirected.

We want to win premierships. IF we stayed at Vic Park it wouldnt happen. Players need modern facilties and that is what we have here. That's life. Vic Park was good but we stayed there 20 years too long.

We no longer use fountain pens either. Time marches on.

If you want to have a drink we own several hotels to cater for those who are alcohol deprived.

Time does march on, but change for change sake is just as silly.

The current facilities for the supporter/member base at Lexus are not as good as Victoria Park.

Eddie's No 1 job is to make the Lexus better for fans.

End of..
Lone Ranger 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:46 pm

magpiesgirl wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
Lexus Centre is for the players and was DESPERATELY needed. From a supporters perspective (and where we would go if we win a GF), we need to wait till the new training ground and associated facilities is built before we can judge.

What new training ground?

As part of the new stadium and the redevelopment of that area, the plan is that we get a new training ground right next to the Lexus Centre.
Shane Whelan 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:48 pm

Lone Ranger wrote:
magpiesgirl wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
Lexus Centre is for the players and was DESPERATELY needed. From a supporters perspective (and where we would go if we win a GF), we need to wait till the new training ground and associated facilities is built before we can judge.

What new training ground?

As part of the new stadium and the redevelopment of that area, the plan is that we get a new training ground right next to the Lexus Centre.

Yes that's right. Short term suffering for long term gain.
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:15 am

Victoria Park will always hold a very special place in all of us that attended games that were played there. I for one will never forget and can't help but feel the almost magnetic attraction whenever I am near. It isn't imagined, it's real.

For me, now, Collingwood is no more or less. I don't need that Home feeling, although I do miss it. Collingwood is what you make of it. I look at my kids and know that they understand even at their young age and I can feel confident in that.

Enriched. I don't need anymore enrichment personally.
Has it enriched The Club? It is far too early to tell.
100 odd years ago, our past Supporters made Collingwood what it is.
It's up to us to carry that on and make the most of what we have.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:00 am

AnthonyC wrote:
Victoria Park will always hold a very special place in all of us that attended games that were played there. I for one will never forget and can't help but feel the almost magnetic attraction whenever I am near. It isn't imagined, it's real.

Beautifully said.

Every day as I drive to work and drive down Hoddle Street after coming off the Eastern Fwy, I automatically turn my head to the left as I pass where Vic Park is and I always think of Collingwood. It's not a conscious thing i do.

Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:35 am

Vic Park is a place of awe and romance. It is inhabited by the ghosts of glory past and forever will be etched in the hearts and souls of magpie fans everywhere.

This may sound soft but I feel like crying when I think my nephew(whom I take every week) will not have that same experience that I and generations of magpie faithful have had at Vic Park.

Walking in under the grandstand at Vic Park always felt like a privledge on game day, and for a boy born and raised in the western suburbs of Melbourne somehow Vic Park always felt like home.

There is a tiny tear in the hearts of all who have known and loved her and we shall ever yearn for her return.

The Lexus center is a cold and soulless concrete and glass edifice and has done nothing for the spirit and soul off the Collingwood football club.
It along with Eddie has served to make us financially secure and provided the players with facilities second to none and perhaps only ultimate glory will start to endear it to us all.

Brewer's Droop Virgo

HIC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:39 am

Shane Whelan wrote:

Watch out for that pole!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:41 am

Many youngsters will have no idea what Vic Park was all about.

Lexus is corporate all the way. Been there for breakfast with the players as a guest and that's it. Great marketing tool, great for the coaching, players and workers of the club. It was never built for the supporters its that simple.

I get howled down everytime for saying it, the days of suburban football at VFL/AFL are long gone.
Yobbo^LuKa Libra

=[(World Champion)]=

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:29 am

I think we would all agree that Lexus is the future of the club, like it or not. Victoria park ss at the core of who we are it is probably just as bigger part of our identity as the black and white stripes.

Whether Lexus centre has enriched the club I am yet to be conned. We made 2 Grand Finals in a row against a side which has gone down in history as the 2nd best in history from that facility whilst in the modern day.

We will never return home, it is just a business now and the soul of the club was always going to be damaged in some way in the process.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:52 am

Just thought I should point out that that article is from May.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:07 am

Joel wrote:
Just thought I should point out that that article is from May.

it's still relevant today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: