Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anita Cobby

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CP only lowers us to their standard.
I like to think we are better than that.
I have no problem with removing people from society for the term of their natural life, it is the cost we bear as being civil human people.

If we say killing is wrong, we can't then put riders on it, it is hypocritical in the extreme.

Revenge is not justice.

Good discussion, but eh?

Syd_Magpies_Girl Gemini

The Russell Street Pole Dancing Bogan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:13 pm

I agree.

We are better off putting scumbags like this in solitary confinement somewhere far, far, far away for the rest of their lives.

I for one, would hate to receive a life in imprisonment sentence anywhere in south east asia, or an arab country. The treatment and diseases that float around those prisons are horrible, and are torture for everyone as it is. Most people that even get 20 years, never come out alive.

Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:14 pm

pica wrote:
Joel wrote:
So what Dale? Does it matter?

Don't worry, Joel.
Dale would just be reminding us AGAIN that he's superior to us mere mortals. Wink

pica, I thought I was supposed to be on your ignore list? Seems like one of your altered ego's (Brewer's Droop maybe, possibly Clement) has told you of my post and you just had to reply.

But, as I was alluding to, most of the new to commercial TV shows - CI, The First 48 Hours, Airport, COPS, etc, - have already been run and done on FOXTEL.

Hooked
spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:22 pm

I used to be all in favour of Capital Punishment however my mind has somewhat changed on the matter. The way I see it, its the easy way out for scum like that.

However I do believe that prison life should be a lot tougher for them than it is. One thin Mattress, with a bucket should be more than sufficient for their needs. Perhaps a razor blade with a hint that they can do themselves and everyone else a favour with it also might be the way to go. In short make prison life tough enough so that they become insane and take their own lives.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:44 pm

why do they sterilise the needle and victim's arm when administering the lethal injection?

i went on a tour of freo prison a few week's ago and got the run down of the last day of someone about to be hanged. frightening stuff but i wonder why they would give one breakfast beforehand. it may be trying to make the day as normal as possible but it is hardly any normal day.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:52 pm

It is an interesting topic Frank and Sim, I can't argue you're wrong because I know most of the arguments against capital punishment are valid ones.

I look at, as I said earlier, extreme situations. Those people are very unlikely to be able to be rehabilitated, they aren't put in general population because the other prisoners would kill them. If they were treated as Spoljar suggests there would be constant outcry from human rights activists keeping their name in the media.

Julian Knight isn't a great example, but he's the best current australian one I can think off. (Bryant has the IQ of plankton). Ted Bundy in the USA would be better, but we'll go with Knight.

Knight is in protected custody, constantly litigating against the governmnt and correction services for his rights. He gets fed better then a lot of working families and has access to better healthcare.

How is society served by having that piece of garbage constantly getting his name in the media for his latest stunt (now wanting to write letters to victims) as opposed to just biting the bullet and ending his life 20 years ago.?

For what purpose do we pay for him to be fed, clothed, sheltered, protected, educated and even pay for his legal fees to litigate against the government?

You can't tell me he's doing it hard. He has more notiriety and "fame" than he ever would have had as a 2 bit struggler, he'd be lapping it up.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him reoffend within 6 months of being released mainly because, in Gaol - he feels like someone important. Outside, he'd have no hope of getting a job or affording food, shelter and he'd be largely anonymous.

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:20 pm

Syd_Magpies_Girl wrote:

Get off Dale's back Confused

Conversely, did it even need be brought up?
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:25 pm

An eye for an eye as far as I'm concerned. Let the punishment equal the crime. Take a life = forfeit yours. I dont want my taxes being used to let these and other oxygen theives, the luxury of being kept in more humane conditions than probably they've been used too. Waste of time and energy for all concerned.

PS. Im talking about murderers. Clear cut 100% low lives as the ones mentioned in the Corby case etc.

Brewer's Droop Virgo

HIC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:47 pm

Dale61 wrote:

pica, I thought I was supposed to be on your ignore list? Seems like one of your altered ego's (Brewer's Droop maybe, possibly Clement) has told you of my post and you just had to reply.

I'm not the one who talks to letter boxes.

member34258 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:12 pm

skaman wrote:
An eye for an eye as far as I'm concerned. Let the punishment equal the crime. Take a life = forfeit yours. I dont want my taxes being used to let these and other oxygen theives, the luxury of being kept in more humane conditions than probably they've been used too. Waste of time and energy for all concerned.

PS. Im talking about murderers. Clear cut 100% low lives as the ones mentioned in the Corby case etc.

Unfortunately history shows that the Legal system does not always get it right when convicting people of murder.
Have a good read of this site;
http://www.insideout.org/documentaries/dna/thestories.asp

Then tell me you are happy to apply the ultimate penalty to someone in your family who is convicted of a crime they did not commit.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:33 pm

Good point Member, have a read of my earlier posts and see what i proposed as far as a different standard of proof and let me know what you think.
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It is an interesting topic Frank and Sim, I can't argue you're wrong because I know most of the arguments against capital punishment are valid ones.

I look at, as I said earlier, extreme situations. Those people are very unlikely to be able to be rehabilitated, they aren't put in general population because the other prisoners would kill them. If they were treated as Spoljar suggests there would be constant outcry from human rights activists keeping their name in the media.

Julian Knight isn't a great example, but he's the best current australian one I can think off. (Bryant has the IQ of plankton). Ted Bundy in the USA would be better, but we'll go with Knight.

Knight is in protected custody, constantly litigating against the governmnt and correction services for his rights. He gets fed better then a lot of working families and has access to better healthcare.

How is society served by having that piece of garbage constantly getting his name in the media for his latest stunt (now wanting to write letters to victims) as opposed to just biting the bullet and ending his life 20 years ago.?

For what purpose do we pay for him to be fed, clothed, sheltered, protected, educated and even pay for his legal fees to litigate against the government?

You can't tell me he's doing it hard. He has more notiriety and "fame" than he ever would have had as a 2 bit struggler, he'd be lapping it up.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see him reoffend within 6 months of being released mainly because, in Gaol - he feels like someone important. Outside, he'd have no hope of getting a job or affording food, shelter and he'd be largely anonymous.

Your points are well made Stui.

The cost angle is something we must bear because we will not get in the gutter with them, it is the cost of being a society thast places freedom above all else, that being the case, to removes someone's freedom for all time becomes the height of our society's punishment.

Think about, "never to be released", that is the sentence all prisioners must surely fear and I tend to agree, there should be levels of confinement eg soft time and hard time.

Like you I have heard the arguments that oppose mine, many times over, and I freely admit, if confronted by someone who had cold bloodedly killed a member of my family, I am not sure my self control would prevail.

But in sensible discussion, as this is, rational thinking prevents me from ever supporting CP.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:25 pm

Fair enough. I'm not trying to convince anyone to change their mind, nor to disparage their opinion. It IS an extremely delicate subject.

i agree with the philosophy that it's better for 100 guilty men to go free than 1 innocent one die wrongfully, but I also think there are situations so severe where the perpetrator forfeits their rights to live and it is to societys benefit, not detriment, to remove them. Completely.

Gues this is something else we disagree on. After all those things we were finding in common. Wink

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:11 am

Frank Stone wrote:
If we say killing is wrong, we can't then put riders on it, it is hypocritical in the extreme.

One argument that could be used is that state/community sanctioned killing is on a completely different level to 'private' killing.

(Anybody interested in this debate should see the Polish film A Short Film About Killing, which is absolutely superb.)

Member, should we be happy to dole out the 'penultimate' penalty to potentially innocent people? Because, surely for every innocent person who has been sentenced to death, there have been 10 innocents who have had to spend the rest of their lives in jail.

That is essentially taking someone's life, in a different way.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:21 am

member34258 wrote:
skaman wrote:

Unfortunately history shows that the Legal system does not always get it right when convicting people of murder.
Have a good read of this site;
http://www.insideout.org/documentaries/dna/thestories.asp

Then tell me you are happy to apply the ultimate penalty to someone in your family who is convicted of a crime they did not commit.

Yes, I agree. I tried to make that point ,obviously not very well! Only if the case is 100% concrete and the accused is 100%, undeniably guilty. Then its good night Irene, time to face your creator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: