Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you do after 1990?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaicosMagic Scorpio

1970 Grand Final Boundary Umpire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 11 years old. Having watched Hawthorn win it every year, I thought it was never going to happen for the Pies (it felt like an eternity finally winning one ... now it's been 17 years since that day, WOW).

Sat in the Olympic stand with my dad. We had to line up at the ground from about 6:00am to get in (VFL/Waverly Park Members). I remember thinking in the 1st quarter that Salmon was going to destroy us ... but then DAICOS set us on our way).

At 3/4 time I said something to my dad like, "We're going to win." He quickly put me in my place, having witnessed too many heartbreaking defeats over his time. After Barwick kicked THAT goal, my dad finally admitted The Cup was ours.

I remember standing up and cheering throughout, and being told to sit down by two grumpy old men.

Afterwards, dad took me (plus my mum, two sisters, and two cousins who we were meant to be babysitting that night) to Vic Park for the celebrations. My dad had just turned 40 (relatively young), so I guess nothing was going to stop him from celebrating at Vic Park. Upon entering the ground there were drunk people everywhere, singing, chanting ... we climbed to the top of the Sherrin Stand and stood on the seats, chanting the song all night. My cousin, a Richmond supporter, even joined in, and said he wanted to follow the Pies from that day on (it didn't last, he's still a Tiger). I remember witnessing the goalposts being brought down. Classic.

I remember tying my treasured Magpie flag to the aerial of our VH Commodore. It was gone when we left the ground ... because some pr!ck stole our car. The car was gone, the flag was gone, and there was mum and day, with 5 children (including 2 cousins) and no way of getting home at around midnight.

BRILLIANT!!!
magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:10 pm

I was around 3 and a 1/2,sitting with my Dad who was back then a one eyed pie (Thankfully,it's the one good thing Ive inherited from him).The story that Ive been told is that Dad would say something like "bloody umpires..." then I'd mimick him.This continued to running around the house and up and down the street with my top over my head screaming "Go the pies" and other such phrases (not all of which can be repeated on here).

With any luck,this year,I'll be with my extended Collingwood family when we win our 15th flag Wink

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:26 pm

Celebrated with Brian McGuane at the ground with bottles of champus we snuck in. Walked from the G, to my dad's pub in Richmond, had a drink there. Walked to Vic park. Took ages by the time we stopped at heaps of pubs and yahoo'ing with everyone

Then walked to the Tunnel, met up with my mates Mick McGuane and Hawkey and got absolutely smashed. Left at about 8am. Got home, slept till 10, got up, went back to vic park to the cricket club. Got pics with the cup. Walked to a pub in Collingwood. Singing songs along the way, the tequilla song but put in Crossisca instead. Also singing the banana boat song (Day-o) but put Daicos in instead. Daicos, Daaaicos, (can't remember it all but "he come and he wanna kick a goal") Got home 11pm.

Got up monday 10am, went to vic park, drank with the boys in the pool bar, got home 11pm. (Was nice to see Scotty Russell let his hair down dancing on the bar in the middle of that room at the front)

Got up late Tuesday, got all doll'd up and went to Copeland. After that, went to the Tunnel. Picked up a West Coast Eagle (who turned out to be a gun). Drank with Mick and some of his ballarat mates, as well as hawkey and Worsfold. Left there at 8am.

Then...the rest is a blurr...lol

magpiesgirl Aries

Crazy About Daisy!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:34 pm

Someone certaintly enjoyed themselves Wink

“I can honestly say there will never be another Strauchanie and the boys at the club can’t help but be thankful for that” -Nathan Buckley
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:39 pm

I watched the game on TV with an essendon supporting mate and my 8 month old son on my knee for a good part of the game til his mother took him off me.

I was as toey as a roman sandle all game and couldn't bring myself to believe until about 5 minutes left, then I started to enjoy the feeling I thought I'd never feel. When the siren went, I let out a roar, then started crying out of happiness. Never done that before or since. My Essendon supporting mate just said congrats and he meant it.

I have minimal recollection of the next few hours other than I felt like after all the losses over the years in GF's, the ledger had been restored. I think my mate went home and missus went to bed so I walked (stumbled) down the street, bought a hamburger and came home and watched the replay. I think I've still got the Sunday papers from next day somewhere.

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:42 pm

magpiesgirl wrote:
Someone certaintly enjoyed themselves Wink

*wink* they were the good old days... could certainly pick em up back then. LOL

Xtopher 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:43 pm

I was smashed before during and after the game. Me and my mates had a BBQ and tent set up in the car park, so after the game we gave it tilt at the G and then walked to Vic Park with the hordes of screaming Pie supporters. Then about ten of us went back to my mates house and kept drinking all night and all day. I went to bed Sunday night at some stage.

I've still got my 1990 Season ticket. Next time we win one I want to go through the whole experience sober and just enjoy the natural high of winning the flag. I'm hopeful that Cloke, Thomas, Clarke, Rusling, Pendlebury etc will be the next generation of players to win us one.
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:48 pm

I was watching it on TV and screaming like crazy right up until about the 10 minute mark of the last qtr. My sister in law walked in and asked if I was ok, I was so quiet, I was just continually asking myself "Is this really happening" after all those times in the 70's and 80's after the those grand final losses, out in the back yard playing the game over and over while kicking the ball to myself (always with a different result, with #12 Greg Hatch, kicking the winning goal on the siren) to console myself, I just could not believe it was really happening, call me a sook but when the siren went I was just put my head down into a pillow and cried tears of absolute Joy, laughed may arse off when they interviewed my Hero banksy and he was pissed as a maggot already then balled again when they finished the coverage showing highlights of the finals and the grand final to the song "Just Once" by James Ingram. Went out with my friends who all thought there was something wrong with me because I would randomly break out in tears because I had Lethal and Shawry holding that cup aloft replaying over and over in my mind...I hope those who haven't experienced feeling that, get to soon.

Cheers

Cheers

noddy, Aries

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:36 pm

very drunk. caught the train home from the game. ended up at a chinese restaurant in cheltenham. massive food fight.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:38 pm

Northern Pie wrote:
I was watching it on TV and screaming like crazy right up until about the 10 minute mark of the last qtr. My sister in law walked in and asked if I was ok, I was so quiet, I was just continually asking myself "Is this really happening" after all those times in the 70's and 80's after the those grand final losses, out in the back yard playing the game over and over while kicking the ball to myself (always with a different result, with #12 Greg Hatch, kicking the winning goal on the siren) to console myself, I just could not believe it was really happening, call me a sook but when the siren went I was just put my head down into a pillow and cried tears of absolute Joy, laughed may arse off when they interviewed my Hero banksy and he was pissed as a maggot already then balled again when they finished the coverage showing highlights of the finals and the grand final to the song "Just Once" by James Ingram. Went out with my friends who all thought there was something wrong with me because I would randomly break out in tears because I had Lethal and Shawry holding that cup aloft replaying over and over in my mind...I hope those who haven't experienced feeling that, get to soon.

Cheers

Cheers

i thought the song Seven chose was quite apt and thoughtful especially with the black and white footage.

panga Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:02 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Never New we Won until about 3 Years Later.

I was only 4 When we won

same, I was 4 as well, didn't even go for the pies at that stage, well didn't really go for anyone but my food.

Leggie Aries

Bucks for PM.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:20 pm

I cried. Couldnt say a great deal because I was that pissed but cried like a baby
Millane42 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:02 pm

Saturday October 6, 1990 is the greatest day of my life!

I was 15 years old and watched it live on Channel 7 (god bless McKenna, Robbo and Scott) in Sydney and was worried at quarter time when Rowdy got knocked out and there was a few points in it but after a a great 2nd quarter I was fairly confident. we played so well, actually I had a feeling right from the start of that season that I haven't ever felt since. I wrote down every qtr x qtr score, all the stats, and the team was so consistent and played as a team.

The only thing that came close was our near fairytale 2002 final series, but anyway after the 1990 GF I just soaked up the win, not being old enough to go out and celebrate, but each time I watch that game back or the highlights of the season hosted by eddie video, i get tears in my eyes.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:07 pm

who else thought that when salmon kicked the first two goals "here we go again!"? i did. c'mon admit it.

i was so rapt to see the likes of banksy, daics and co get a premiership after all the previous heartache.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Quote:
i was so rapt to see the likes of banksy, daics and co get a premiership after all the previous heartache.

Oh please God, say this comment can be relevant to the current group!

On the topic of Grand Finals - what did you all do after the 2002 Grand Final? Were there tears? Are you over the loss yet? I'm not over it yet. That was just about the best day of my life. So, so close. I've never felt prouder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: