Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

14yo girl driven to suicide on Myspace

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Er Kids are cool.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:50 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
DTM, unless you have kids you have NO idea what you're talking about!

Telling a parent they're being harsh when they're only trying to protect their own flesh & blood....How old are YOU more to the point?

Well done BWPhantom!

DTM you need to GROW up, fair dinkum!

Well I am Not a Parant(Those Like to be One, One Day) Why would I have No Idea, I thought I would have a Clue coming from the Kids Point of View.

My parants where the same as BWP untill I was about 14-15. 8:30 Bed and Stay Home and No Net(Well Net was new back then) but at 15 they Lact of a Bit and let me have more in a Say what I did and had more Responsibility.

It's a Personal Choice for the parent of the Child but I just think BWP is Babying them a Bit but that MY VIEW

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:01 pm

HAL wrote:
Er Kids are cool.

Yes Hal kids are cool and I love all kids. I work with Young Men(not boys) between 12-17 years of age. I teach them Survival skills and engage them in Mind stimulating activities. I spend 3 hours a week with them and in that time I banned them from bringing MP3 players, mobile phones, and personal Video game players. At first I had a riot from the YM and their parents. Now I have parents come to me explaining how much their kids look forward to coming along and how much they have changed. I remember I taught the YM how to build a catapult using rope and wood. They had to design and build it themselves. Not long after the Parents of one boy voiced their concern that I was teaching their children War weapon making. I was gob smacked...why?? because this same boy plays violent Video games. I asked them 'what does your son like doing in his spare time? Their answer 'play video games' 'What type of games??' 'I dunno' came the reply. 'Do you think you should find out' They came to me later and thanked me for what I am teaching their son and screen the games their son plays.

I am not old fashioned(whatever that means) I just believe in striking a balance between old and new as there is great things to be learnt. I have learnt so much from these YM and the sharing of information is great.

My kids are anything but isolated from their peers. We often have friends over and just because they come into our house we do not alter what we do. When their friends leave they often remark how they wish their parents would do some of the stuff with do with them. My 11 year old ran for School president and lost by 2 votes, she was devastated. But now she has shrugged it off shown great maturity and has thrown her support behind her challenger and is now up for the school citizenship and environment award.

My kids are normal, they go to movies, hang out and have fun with their peers. I have taught them leadership and social skills. I encourage them to be better and improve. Their self esteem comes from self belief, not from whether they have a mobile or a PS.

I spend a lot of time with my kids. I respect their space and their feelings. I understand the pressures of peers. Funny enough when my daughters friends ask why they don't have a phone or PS etc my kids answer 'because I don't see the need for it', not 'oh my father won't let me'. Technology is great, but I wish to raise my kids, not My space, youtube PS3 and mobiles. I teach them to respect the good of technology. And when they are responsible enough to use it wisely then they are able.

Don't be too hard on DTM it is OK for him to think how he wants. What I do may seem harsh but IMO there is nothing wrong with being strict as long as it is done with love. I love my kids and I am trying to help them become contributors, not a burden, to society.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Are you a whole language teacher?
EBB 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:05 pm

Dave The Man wrote:

Well I am Not a Parant(Those Like to be One, One Day) Why would I have No Idea, I thought I would have a Clue coming from the Kids Point of View.

My parants where the same as BWP untill I was about 14-15. 8:30 Bed and Stay Home and No Net(Well Net was new back then) but at 15 they Lact of a Bit and let me have more in a Say what I did and had more Responsibility.

It's a Personal Choice for the parent of the Child but I just think BWP is Babying them a Bit but that MY VIEW

Point of view DTM is, parents existed before the current advanced technology and exist during. Parents can see what's occurred before and compare to the now. Unfortunately for you, all you have is the now. It's not that simple for you to understand, but still, give your elders some respect, we're not at all OLD and OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:15 pm

bwphantom wrote:
HAL wrote:
Er Kids are cool.

Yes Hal kids are cool and I love all kids. I work with Young Men(not boys) between 12-17 years of age. I teach them Survival skills and engage them in Mind stimulating activities. I spend 3 hours a week with them and in that time I banned them from bringing MP3 players, mobile phones, and personal Video game players. At first I had a riot from the YM and their parents. Now I have parents come to me explaining how much their kids look forward to coming along and how much they have changed. I remember I taught the YM how to build a catapult using rope and wood. They had to design and build it themselves. Not long after the Parents of one boy voiced their concern that I was teaching their children War weapon making. I was gob smacked...why?? because this same boy plays violent Video games. I asked them 'what does your son like doing in his spare time? Their answer 'play video games' 'What type of games??' 'I dunno' came the reply. 'Do you think you should find out' They came to me later and thanked me for what I am teaching their son and screen the games their son plays.

I am not old fashioned(whatever that means) I just believe in striking a balance between old and new as there is great things to be learnt. I have learnt so much from these YM and the sharing of information is great.

My kids are anything but isolated from their peers. We often have friends over and just because they come into our house we do not alter what we do. When their friends leave they often remark how they wish their parents would do some of the stuff with do with them. My 11 year old ran for School president and lost by 2 votes, she was devastated. But now she has shrugged it off shown great maturity and has thrown her support behind her challenger and is now up for the school citizenship and environment award.

My kids are normal, they go to movies, hang out and have fun with their peers. I have taught them leadership and social skills. I encourage them to be better and improve. Their self esteem comes from self belief, not from whether they have a mobile or a PS.

I spend a lot of time with my kids. I respect their space and their feelings. I understand the pressures of peers. Funny enough when my daughters friends ask why they don't have a phone or PS etc my kids answer 'because I don't see the need for it', not 'oh my father won't let me'. Technology is great, but I wish to raise my kids, not My space, youtube PS3 and mobiles. I teach them to respect the good of technology. And when they are responsible enough to use it wisely then they are able.

Don't be too hard on DTM it is OK for him to think how he wants. What I do may seem harsh but IMO there is nothing wrong with being strict as long as it is done with love. I love my kids and I am trying to help them become contributors, not a burden, to society.

Well At Least You Love your Kids and that is the Most Important Thing.

Great to see you spend time with your kids like some parents that don't even pay attention to there kids.

Glad you didn't take the Things I say to heart BWP we just have differnt Ideas

bwphantom Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:18 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
bwphantom wrote:
HAL wrote:
Er Kids are cool.

Great to see you spend time with your kids like some parents that don't even pay attention to there kids.

Well mate when you have kids of your own. You may change your thoughts upon the whole matter.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:19 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
[quote="bwphantom"][quote="HAL"]Er Kids are cool.[/quote]

Don't be too hard on DTM it is OK for him to think how he wants. What I do may seem harsh but IMO there is nothing wrong with being strict as long as it is done with love. I love my kids and I am trying to help them become contributors, not a burden, to society.[/quote]

Do you like your job? Do you team teach? I somehow though she had. You must be very smart. You make the world a happier place.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:22 pm

HAL wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
bwphantom wrote:
HAL wrote:
Er Kids are cool.

Do you like your job? Do you team teach? I somehow though she had. You must be very smart. You make the world a happier place.

Thanks I think Hal?

HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:23 pm

bwphantom wrote:
[quote="Dave The Man"][quote="bwphantom"][quote="HAL"]Er Kids are cool.[/quote]

Don't be too hard on DTM it is OK for him to think how he wants. What I do may seem harsh but IMO there is nothing wrong with being strict as long as it is done with love. I love my kids and I am trying to help them become contributors, not a burden, to society.[/quote]

Glad you didn't take the Things I say to heart BWP we just have differnt Ideas[/quote]

Well mate when you have kids of your own. You may change your thoughts upon the whole matter.
Do you like your job? I somehow though she had. You must be very smart. You make the world a happier place.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:24 pm

I think you've got some great points bwphantom. I (and several of my younger siblings) spend way too much time on the internet, and frankly it does cut into time that you might otherwise spend socialising or actually doing something useful. Don't get me wrong, the internet's fantastic, but it's also very addictive.

I have friends my age who still don't have a myspace or anything, it seems strange but good on them. I can't say myspace or facebook has really benefitted my life in any way... they give you something to do now and then but that's about it.

As for the story, I can't believe someone would do that. Of course, the cynical side of me always asks questions when I read something like this (e.g. did the girl do something terribly cruel to her ex-friend to make her parents so angry?), but even then such a calculated campaign aimed at a (14 year old) child is pretty despicable. Myspace gave them the means, but it's really the mindset of the adults in question (and perhaps the society they were raised in) that is far more worrying.

HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:26 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
[quote="HAL"][quote="Dave The Man"][quote="bwphantom"][quote="HAL"]Er Kids are cool.[/quote]

Glad you didn't take the Things I say to heart BWP we just have differnt Ideas[/quote]Do you like your job? Do you team teach? I somehow though she had. You must be very smart. You make the world a happier place.[/quote]

Thanks I think Hal?
Thank you for your kindness, Dave The Man.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:31 pm

DTM, you disagree with BW phantom because you are young. It might sound like a platitude, but there IS no substitute for experience. Not very person who is over 40 is automatically smart becasue of their age. It depends what they've experienced.

I completelty agree with the intent of BW Phantom's stance. No matter what you do as a parent, kids are their own person. All you can do is hope you gave them enough in the way of values and morals when they're young because once they hit high school, all bets are off.

To a 14 year old going from 14 to 18, that 4 years is 4 lifetimes. To a 40+, those 4 years go like a blink unfortunatley.

bwphantom Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:53 pm

David wrote:
I think you've got some great points bwphantom. I (and several of my younger siblings) spend way too much time on the internet, and frankly it does cut into time that you might otherwise spend socialising or actually doing something useful. Don't get me wrong, the internet's fantastic, but it's also very addictive.

I have friends my age who still don't have a myspace or anything, it seems strange but good on them. I can't say myspace or facebook has really benefitted my life in any way... they give you something to do now and then but that's about it.

As for the story, I can't believe someone would do that. Of course, the cynical side of me always asks questions when I read something like this (e.g. did the girl do something terribly cruel to her ex-friend to make her parents so angry?), but even then such a calculated campaign aimed at a (14 year old) child is pretty despicable. Myspace gave them the means, but it's really the mindset of the adults in question (and perhaps the society they were raised in) that is far more worrying.

Yea Dave I agree. We don't know exactly know what occurred. I just die inside when I hear of a Young person giving up on life when there is so much ahead of them. And if Adults were responsible for taunting and lowering a young persons self esteem is deplorable. This sort of behaviour from the young is bad enough and can hurt. But for it to come from mature Adults would do nothing but multiply the hurt.

Sadly more Young are killing themselves now more than ever. I just ask where have we let theses kids down?

Jock McHale
EBB 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:54 pm

David wrote:

I have friends my age who still don't have a myspace or anything, it seems strange but good on them.

Seriously? Wow, is myspace that important to the new generation??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: