Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What Operating System Do You Use?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Operating System Do You Use?
Windows
80%
 80%  [ 12 ]
Linux
20%
 20%  [ 3 ]
Macantosh
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see Linsux gives out double posts as well.

And I googled "Linux Complaints;
Quote:
Results 1 - 10 of about 450,000 for linux complaints. (0.17 seconds)
Dale61 

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:02 pm

A double post within a couple of minutes of each other could be a posting fault, but when they are 20 minutes apart?

Double post now rectified. It was also partially quoted. WTF!

Hooked
Dale61 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:09 pm

member34258 wrote:

Quote:

But, the Vista complaints are mostly from Windoze users. The Linux complaints would also be from Windoze users.

BTW, can you tell me what a blue screen looks like? I haven't seen one for so long I've forgotten what they look like.

When did you last do a defrag? It's been a while since I've had to do one of those as well.

Oh, and Linsux? Like I haven't heard that before. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I found a blue screen message that was displayed on someone else's computer. Is this what they still look like?

Hooked

Last edited by Dale61 on Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
member34258 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:32 pm

Ah, Dale...
Considering Windows has, being conservative here, over 90% penetration in the home/business pc market then I'm more than happy to concede there would be complaints.
Billions of operating systems out there means that you will have problems.
Defrag? Scheduled task, never have to do it because the system does it for me.
Blue Screen? Must be 3 or 4 years since I've seen one. Any problems are usually caused by incorrect software installs or incorrect settings. The System Restore works quickly and easily to fix these.

Linux has a place in the world, hell I even have to deal with it on our server at work, but Windows is an easier system for the majority of users to cope with. I have tried to teach salesmen the Unix system on our server and believe me, Windows makes my life bliss.

Linsux? Now you know how we feel with your constant "Windoze".
Dale61 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Considering the speed difference in start up times between my Linux pc and M$ pc's I've had to fix, I'm not surprised that people don't refer to it as Winsnooze!
Hooked
member34258 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 am

You turn yours off?
Amazing!
Dale61 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:05 am

The only time my pc gets turned off is when we lose power, which, especially during summer, has become a regular occurrence, or if I have to re-boot after a kernel update.
Hooked
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:53 am

Dale61 wrote:
member34258 wrote:

Quote:

But, the Vista complaints are mostly from Windoze users. The Linux complaints would also be from Windoze users.

BTW, can you tell me what a blue screen looks like? I haven't seen one for so long I've forgotten what they look like.

When did you last do a defrag? It's been a while since I've had to do one of those as well.

Oh, and Linsux? Like I haven't heard that before. Rolling Eyes

EDIT: I found a blue screen message that was displayed on someone else's computer. Is this what they still look like?

Haven't seen that Blue Screen since Windows ME Wink

Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 am

Dale61 wrote:
Zakal wrote:

Plagued with problems. Random restarts etc...but apparently all due to the complete lack of driver support.

Hardly MS's fault though, hardware manufacturers knew Vista was on the cards years in advance....beta versions were out months in advance. The RTM release was also quite early...and finally, some home-built drivers were available based either on beta or pirate releases...so companies like nvidia really have no good excuse.

Bullshit!

Why are there so many reports of old hardware not being compatible with Vista? M$ have recently been found to have released Vista knowing that most older peripherals would not be compatible, and thus, forcing users to either purchase new peripherals, or as most have done, return to XP.

Here's an idea. Google 'Vista complaints' and see how many results you get (about 434,000 pages), or 'vista problems' (about 816,000 pages).

No need to mention the lack of security with Vista, as that is already a well documented problem.

Its the job of the company that MAKES the hardware to stand by their product and provide support for it for the latest OS releases. How is the MS's job to track down every conceivable piece of hardware, and make drivers for the lot.

Its the manufacturers responsibility to produce drivers that work. If they can't get that done before some guy, working by himself from pirated software can, then they have a serious problem...or dont give a shit. Methinks its the latter.

As for windows forcing people to buy new hardware...why would that help MS...who sells software? Wouldn't that be more the motivation of companies like nvidia, or logitech who dont want to spend the extra cash to make an older videocard, or version of itouch compatible with the newest OS...and would instead rather you given them an extra $100 to get something new. MS doesnt get that money, the manufacturer does, therefore its their job to make it work. Especially when they put bullshit stickers like "Vista Compatible" on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: