Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Ponsford Times.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 4:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooohhh that hurts.....

From perennial bridesmaid to mistress.

*grinds teeth*
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:03 pm

Sensational post Geek.

You cover just about all the areas of concern.

Keep this in mind. At Old Trafford the ground is always at it's 76,000 capacity or very close to it. Yet only 6,000-8,000 of these fans (roughly 10%) make all the noise. The rest is just the crowds reaction to what is happening in the game.

It is fine to go and watch the football if that is what you want to do. What we need, however, is to recruit a few thousand die-hards and sit them in the lower section of the Ponsford to make noise all game. Just 6,000 voices doing the long slow Coll-ing-wood would be enough to make it effective.

Some fantastic input on a subject that I think could re-invent our club and recreate the old bond the players had with the fans.

The Coventrys, Pannams, Colliers, Rumneys, Roses and Richards of yesteryear used to love the old nuff-nuff Collingwood supporter. The feeling of mutual admiration was tangible. The Collingwood Football Club of today loaths us supporters and our precious, self absorbed bitterness.

vlad 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Yep, we're onto it I reckon. Our Club did that, it made itself into a brand. Made us lots of money, like from the advertising on our jumper, calling our new headquarters after a car, moving from our heartland.
Has anyone else noticed how hard it is to actually have contact with a player since the move from Victoria Park? Even if you wanted to it's almost impossible these days, like we're poison or something. How come that happened.
Something is lost, I can feel it.
Our jumper was special, untouchable, not anymore. The only reason that the Club fights to keep the stripes is because of branding! How bent is that!
Our heartland is everywhere, but the magic can't spread that far.
We used to be unique, a Club with mystique, an unmistakable aura that only our Club possessed ~ that was the specialness.
Now we're just another product.
Winning next week or the week after won't help, the Club is kidding itself if that's what it thinks.

vlad 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:06 pm

While I'm at it, the Ponsford was supposed to be Our Stand, the Collingwood Stand, just for us. What happened? We're nuffnuffs alright, treated like that and we take it all the time, It's called spin, or coddswollop, and if you say anything against it, they'll hate you and call you disloyal.
How come one year there was an announcement that our boys would be playing for Williamstown and would only wear our Club jumper when they were good enough? Who remembers that one! Look now. Suddenly they're all good enough again! HAHAHA. Feed us anything and we'll swallow it. HAHAHA.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:12 pm

History doesn't lie.

Collingwood Football Club joined VFL 1892.

1902-1936 - 11 premierships

1937-1958 - 2 premierships

1959-1990 - 1 premiership

1991-2008 - zilch!

That's called "the law of diminishing returns".

It is amazing that our supporter base has continued to grow given that we have a premiership rate equivalent to St Kilda in the past 50 years! Just like some of the other people on this thread, I'm getting a little frustrated at seeing such a great club as ours performing at such a consistently poor level. As a Manchester United supporter I know that no season is complete without winning at least one championship. We expect it - even demand it! Collingwood once (true, a long time ago) had that mystique. The machine of the 20s and 30s put the fear of God into their opponents. And the supporters did the same from what I gather. Are we too soft now?

Remember how invincible we were at Victoria Park during the glory days.
Greek Style 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:15 pm

jack_spain wrote:
History doesn't lie.

Are we too soft now?

We are all late sippers now. Daisy Thomas is our role model now. Manicure anyone?
vlad 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:20 pm

I've just noticed there's a thread for the auctioning of the Collingwood Anzac Day jumpers, how trashy is that. We were a very special Club, like our song says Good Old Collingwood Forever. But the Forever is gone. Now it's the new Collingwood ~ so modern so smooth and slick and lost. I want my Club back.
Greek Style 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Imagine a team that has the arrogant swagger of the New York Yankees with the history of a Notre Dame and you have a small idea of what Collingwood is about.

This is what is says on the Nick's page about Peter Daicos.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/players/tribute/cddaicos.html

I'm sorry, we do not have the swagger or the history.

We are now just a soft nancy boy, corporately run franchise trying to maximize advertising and profit for the dastardly AFL so it can sell it's product to the Northern States.

WE, the COLLINGWOOD supporters, get no "Bang" for our Buck!

A large profile team with very little success to show for it.

We are stupid enough to buy into anything.

Hope floats, but so does Shit.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:31 pm

Greek Style wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
History doesn't lie.

Are we too soft now?

We are all late sippers now. Daisy Thomas is our role model now. Manicure anyone?

what is a late sipper?

times changes, this is what is called evolution. there are so many things we can complain about but one thing is for sure, we'll still be around in years to come.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:34 pm

The cheersquad isn't the problem..One cant expect 50% of 200 people to blow the roof off the Ponsford. The cheersquad bay doesnt even fill a full bay..no where near it! and remember it's in the open by a mile.

The surrounding bays are what i gather to be week to week bookings meaning we have different people sit there on any given match day..and they dont have a clue what we're all on about.
Maybe the suggestion should be is the club promote these bays as the chanting bays..could you imagine the cheersquad in the middle bay behind the goals, surrounded on each side by chanting bays..People who sit there have committed themselves to chant and make noise regardless of the scoreboard.
Introduce 4-6 chant marshalls to co=ordinate chants. Believe me it would be that good others from all over the MCG would want to be a part of it...plenty of different ways of doing things..We've just got to be imaginitive..Break away from the box we've been in.

I dont subscribe to the theory we've given up..we dont care all because we've only won one flag in fifty years..to me thats a cop out.

The passion is there in vast numbers we just gotta find out how to utilise that beautiful magpie passion!

Greek Style 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:38 pm

Jock McPie wrote:
Greek Style wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
History doesn't lie.

Are we too soft now?

what is a late sipper?

times changes, this is what is called evolution. there are so many things we can complain about but one thing is for sure, we'll still be around in years to come.

Jock - that is the lowest common denominator. We will be around for years to come. so will all the sides. The AFL will keep Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, North. All teams are supported.

Collingwood should be a big club with it's potential not a laughing stock.

To say, we will be around for years to come - IT JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH to exist.

As you say, we have to evolve.

Not be losers for the next 50 years like we were losers for the last 50 years.

It is not good enough to just EXIST.

The objective is

TO WIN A PREMIERSHIP

not to exist.

I would call you a late sipper, you sit in your corporate office and go down at morning tea and afternoon tea and ask for a late, you probably ask for a skinny late.

I would say you were one of the3 late sippers, but from looking at your picutre, you are actually A MUPPET. Wink
vlad 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:42 pm

Its supposed to be the Collingwood Stand, like most things we're told, it isn't like that at all.
Maybe we're just sick of being told what's good for us, especially when it's mostly crock.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:51 pm

That is brilliant Greek boy - whoever you are! I have so enjoyed reading this thread that I've sent copies of your posts to a Magpie friend in Tassie. Seriously funny, but really seriously sad for the club as well. Because on so many levels you are right.

As for Muppets, any truth to the rumour the AFL might sell out to Dreamworld, Movie World or Seaworld?
Greek Style 

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:52 pm

The Ponsofrd Stand is a Dud.

The Lexus Centre enclosure for supporters is a Dud.

The Collingwood team is a Dud.

But at least we are making lots and lots of money for our REAL MASTERS, the AFL administration.

They are the real DARK LORDS.

The real Sith.

We are their Bitches.

How Andrew Demetriou and Adrian Anderson rub their hands with glee as the Collingwood cheques roll in.

Well done Eddie, our whole Club is a parody of all the old values that were set up when we were the Brittania football club all those years ago when William Crawley first suggested we wear the black and white colours for the first time.

How the Empire has fallen.
Magpie Girl Leo

Daisy, my Collingwood supporting birdy....

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:58 pm

Wow.....

Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: