Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nick Maxwell ain't worthy of the number 5!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dids_04 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pied Piper wrote:
dids_04 wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:
I"ll plead not guilty to the last charge, but the point is not that "more thought could have gone into Bucks' old number". Nathan Buckley CHOSE Nick Maxwell to wear his number. As Proud Pies said above, maybe you should take it up with him?

Or maybe Doska could come back to his thread, edit the Nick Maxwell stuff, and retitle the thread - about how the club is going down the drain or sumfin'... Rolling Eyes

fair enough Bucks chose him, I accept that.

Edit the thread all you want, mock people when they speak honestly but me, personaly, I think alot of fans are turning a blind eye to the truth and are content anyhow because we support 'Collingwood', the greatest club in the land.....

On field, that's so far from the case its not funny. Nor are we making inroads. Deal with the issue head on, its ok to criticise the club. Rolling Eyes

dids_04, you joined the BB a couple of weeks ago, so welcome, but you can rest assured that yours is far from a voice in the wilderness. There are plenty of others on Nick's who share your views, there are already lots of threads bagging out the club and its direction - fine. Bag away. I'll give my own opinions of where we're at later. (I'd love to know what sort of a state you thought the club was in after last year's finals series.)

But at least (and this is really directed more at the person who started the thread) do it honestly. Nick Maxwell isn't above criticism either, but it's ridiculous to use the fact that he's wearing the number 5 as some kind of symbol of all that's gone wrong in the first seven rounds this year.

the state of the club after last years final series?

Same as now. Some young guns in the making, plaenty of holes in the midfield, too many players still plodding around who should have been gone years ago. and yes, we did get slightly lucky last year. Semi Final with West Coast a perfect example given the absentees that night for the opposition.

and thankyou for the welcome. I really hope the club thinks the same way because right now we are still lacking too much in too many areas. We are expecting our 19 and 20yo blokes to carry the load. Not good enough, midfield needs a major overhaul before we worry about anything else. They should start in 2 weeks by playing Wellingham and leaving him in the side.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:50 am

It's a bloody number... who gives a F***...!!!

Maxy wearing the number 5 was never going to 'make' him as good as Bucks.... FFS, its a number!

Get over it!!

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:08 am

Retiring a number? are you serious the only retired number is 42 and should remain so. Number 5 was owned by many great players before Buckley put it on his back. Remember no one player past or present is bigger than the club or his teammates, this applies to every sporting club in Australia.

www.facebook/the hybernators

Last edited by 3rd degree on Tue May 06, 2008 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:26 am
Post subject: Re: Nick Maxwell ain't worthy of the number 5!!!Reply with quote

Doska#6 wrote:
I don't know about you, I'm sick of hearing about how much money we are making and how we pull the crowds and how much technology we got in the Lexus Center. Fact is we have won 2 premierships in 50 years and we are not going to win won any time soon. That is reality some of you on here that accept mediocrity can hammer me as much as you want but it is the simple truth.

....your point is that the number Maxwell is wearing on his back is the reason we won't win a premiership????

It. Is. Only. A. Number.

As for Maxwell, he's a good player and one of my favourites. May not be the best or most talented player on the list, but he doesn't need to be.

~Madness~ Aries

...The Cat...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:34 am

disgusting thread.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:28 am

i am surprised it took until round 7 for a thread like this to appear. but with so many other things to gripe about i can sort of understand. Rolling Eyes
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:35 am

I wouldn't think any mortal would be worthy of the number 5 at Collingwood!

For the people who say it's just a number - It's more than that for some!
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:48 am

It's a random number that buckley was allocated, and happened to have a brilliant career while wearing. It's only fans who associate that number with him, when the number he was wearing was really actually irrelevant to anything he did in it.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:27 am

I dunno why everyone is giving the original poster such a hard time. It's a brilliant idea, and is the whole key to getting better performance out of our list. For starters:

Rhyce Shaw must be put into #35 so that he can kick miracles from the boundary.

Ryan Lonie should wear #26 so that he bores into packs with ridiculous courage.

Leon Davis must be forced to wear #1 so that he can stand as tall as Damien Monkhorst and take big grabs around the ground.

Huh? You mean Leon already wears #1? Can't be. Why ain't he tall?

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 am

It's just a number man, who give a rats?

But in saying that, I do agree with the rest of your post. I said we were going to miss the 8 this year & by the poor form start to our season (so far) looks like I'm not far off track.

Hope I'm wrong of course....

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Steamroller Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:12 pm

I don't really care for what number Maxwell or any other player wears - I'm more concerned as to why he and many others are not playing well.

Maxwell has played some excellent footy over the last couple of years - tough and hard, giving his opponents nothing, but unfortunately this year he is struggling, as are most of our defenders.

Harry is going ordinary - makes me nervous when he goes near the ball. Goldy has had an interrupted season, but he is also capable of much more. Nathan Brown has been a real find but is young and raw and will be towelled up from time to time as happened on Saturday. Wakes has been ok, but Roughead smashed him last week. Even Heath Shaw, whilst getting heaps of the footy, can perform better. His last quarter vs Kangaroos was poor and taking 18 marks in the back pocket on his own is hardly hurting the opposition.

This year our backline doesn't seem to have settled. Sure we miss Clement, but our backline stood up last year in his absence - this year it has really struggled. Maybe we just need to play our defenders in defence and let them develop as a group. Maxwell, Wakes, Goldsack, Harry, Heath, Rhys, Presti when fit, Brown - I think there is enough quality and depth here to form a good defence. This year Brown, Goldsack, Maxwell, Heath and Rhys have all had stints in other positions - I would like to just see them learn to work together better, trust each other.

Hawthorn and Geelong both have settled defences, Geelongs better than Hawthorns. They rarely play out of position and seem to know what each other are doing. They cover for each other. I know the midfield and even the forwards can have a say in how the defence performs, but I still think we have the players to build a really solid defence.
Magpie_Marvel 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:10 pm

Absolutely agree with doska on this one. Nick Maxwell has not done anything for collingwood. H'es got no skills can only spoil and he tries really hard to be a hard nut like the carlton match. He's a third/fourth defender at best and we push him forward on occasion does nothing only kicks goals when we have no chance of winning like brisbane last year. Do you guys honetly believe he can get a game at hawthorn or geelong??

Sure, bucks did hand him over the famous number 5 but in his own admission said that he may not be the most talented but always tries his best, which is all that maxwell is. For him to even be concidered as a captain was absolute joke!

Trade him at the end of the year i say and get something for him while he might be woth something.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Magpie_Marvel wrote:
Do you guys honetly believe he can get a game at hawthorn or geelong??

That goes for most of our list, so not a relevant comparison.

quinny 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:13 pm

seriously crap thread. seriously crap opinion. you can't rip into nick maxwell for not being nathan buckley. maxwell is doing exactly what he did last year in the 27.

brent stanton isnt suddenly jim hird either...
MACDAICOS 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:22 pm
Post subject: Re: Nick Maxwell ain't worthy of the number 5!!!Reply with quote

Doska#6 wrote:
The greatest player and captain to ever play for our football club, Nathan Buckley! Carried us through the dark years he was the reason we all rocked up to those games where we got slaughtered in the late 90's. A true warrior and a champion.

Instead of honoring the great number 5 and the great man. We give his number to Nick Maxwell? His number should have been retired or given to Heath Shaw. If anyone should have got Buckleys number it should have been Shaw. His a future captain of this club. Who plays his heart out consistently week in week out even when we get smashed like we did on the weekend.

Nick Maxwell skill level is average just like most of the players on our list, he tries to back that up by being a hard man but he goes the man instead of the ball most times. a.k.a Carlton game. He ball watches in defense and is an average player at best. His by no means the worst player on our list he does have a heart and balls, I'll give him that. But no way no should he should be wearing that number on his back.

I don't know about you, I'm sick of hearing about how much money we are making and how we pull the crowds and how much technology we got in the Lexus Center. Fact is we have won 2 premierships in 50 years and we are not going to win won any time soon. That is reality some of you on here that accept mediocrity can hammer me as much as you want but it is the simple truth.

Your avatar says it all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: