Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ian Thorpe About To Come Out?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:16 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

sherrife wrote:
I'm with Tess on this one. I think it's important that queer-identifying people feel proud about who they are, and if a celebrity is using public spotlight to assist others to do that then s/he should be encouraged.

To put it another way:

The reason it it does matter that he is gay is that gay people are still oppressed, and so as a celeb he is in a position to be part of the movement fighting to end it.

Unfortunately we can't just ignore oppression out of existence.

You prove my point exactly Sherrife - Automatically there is pressure put onto Ian Thorpe to become some sort of spokesperson to help end the oppression of the Gay community.....If he does announce his sexual preference and then carries onto say that he would just like to be left alone in his decision and also chooses not to become involved helping to fight the cause of this oppression he would be berated by the very community that he now claims to be a part of...so how is that oppression any different to the oppression he might have suffered if he remained silent. I wonder what will happen if he announces that he is Bi-sexual, I am sure if he does both sides will claim some sort of shadow victory...Whose Standard Bearer does he have to become then?

Cheers

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:54 am

I think it's a real shame that he feels the need to justify his sexuality one way or the other (or more importantly the public feel they have the right to know). Why does it matter.
It won't make the amazing feats he performed in the Olympics for his country any more or less impressive, or deserving. It won't make him a better or worse person, or someone you want or don't want your children admiring.
He's the same bloke irrespective of that fact. I for one think he's a role model I would very much like both my son and daughter to look up to.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:16 am

Proud Pies wrote:
Tess wrote:
True it is, but that line "his business no-one else's" just encourages people to stay in the closet rather than come out. Those stereo typical 5 words can come across as words of derision rather than support, LD if you didn't mean them as derision I hope you can accept/understand that statement could be taken either way.

Tess, it's NOBODY'S BUSINESS BUT HIS!

Why is it so important to you? there's more important things about a person than their sexuality!

spot on PP. Surely we want to reach a stage where there is no 'closet' to come out of... people are simply happy and comfortable with their sexuality and so is everybody else.

Of course, this isn't the case yet everywhere, and so I suppose that there is some argument that celebrities 'coming out of the closet' might aid this process (as Omar suggests). Still, I believe Thorpe has no responsibility to anyone but himself - he should do whatever he feels most comfortable with. Good luck to him either way.

NP makes a great point as well. How much of this 'outing' is for the benefit of the gay community, and how much is it for the benefit of those who want the latest celebrity gossip.

JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:48 am

I tend to agree that it's no one's business. I mean after all, we are talking about SEXUAL PREFERENCE. Sex and sexuality should stay in the bedroom (so to speak). They're not called our 'private lives' for no reason.

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:56 am

Just to make it clear, I think all people - gay, straight, transgender, bi, whatever - should keep their private lives to themselves. I don't care who you are, I don't want to know. Tell your friends, tell your family, but don't tell the whole world.

Pirate skulls and bones
Running when we hit 'em
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:02 am

Tess wrote:
OEP wrote:
I think it's a real shame that he feels the need to justify his sexuality one way or the other (or more importantly the public feel they have the right to know). Why does it matter.
It won't make the amazing feats he performed in the Olympics for his country any more or less impressive, or deserving. It won't make him a better or worse person, or someone you want or don't want your children admiring.
He's the same bloke irrespective of that fact. I for one think he's a role model I would very much like both my son and daughter to look up to.

The rates of suicide are 30% higher for young people who are gay and lesbian around our country, suicide rates are ridiculous for gay youth. Latrobe Uni has done a study I can post a link if you doubters don't believe me. The is no way of getting the figures for Transgendered youth as most haven't been diagnosed by the time they reach adulthood.

Tess do you think that may be the case because people are still making such a song and dance about this issue of sexuality. Maybe once people truly get past it being an issue, then those who are homosexual won't feel the extreme pressure some do when having to come to grips with people finding that fact out.
And whether Ian Thorpe is gay or not will have zero effect on the pressure felt by those persons until the population at large accepts that being gay isn't an issue.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:13 am

I am just expressing my curiosity.
Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:53 am

Hang on a sec, how do we know he's gay?

Because he dresses well, doesn't sound okka and isn't married yet Smile

fan4collingwood Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 am

Mr. Chairman wrote:
Hang on a sec, how do we know he's gay?

Because he dresses well, doesn't sound okka and isn't married yet Smile

Exactly.

The point with Ian, is he is a good bloke, there is no issue with his sexuality. He is who he is and we all love him. (And I call him a bloke cause he is a man, nothing to do with sexuality.)

BTW, a reporter/poster for a alternative website doesn't hold much creditability to me.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:15 am

Tess wrote:
Exactly and if more people like Ian Thorpe, Ian the NRL player and more "normal aussie" hero's come out it will become more normal. Having people dish out those lines of "their private business" just add's to people not wanting to come out and copping that crap. LD is married to a Lady.... is that his private business .... NO his private business is what he and his wife do and how they do it in the bedroom ... or whatever room they choose to do it in. Shocked

I assume you mean Ian Roberts (NRL player) and what about being gay isn't normal now. Why is there a need for high profile persons to tell hetrosexuals that homosexuals are the same as anyone else. I for one have the ability to come to that conclusion myself, and as I said before until the populace can do the same without the need for others to verify it for them this will be a continuing, and unnecessary, problem.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:24 am

You are asking about yourself?
Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:19 pm

fan4collingwood wrote:
(And I call him a bloke cause he is a man, nothing to do with sexuality.)

In Italy, his dress sense would be considered blokey Smile

JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:36 pm

Mr. Chairman wrote:
fan4collingwood wrote:
(And I call him a bloke cause he is a man, nothing to do with sexuality.)

In Italy, his dress sense would be considered blokey Smile

I doubt that

Pirate skulls and bones
Running when we hit 'em
Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:45 pm

erm their soccer coaches have fake tans ffs Smile
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:47 pm

Who doesn't these days? Such a bad look..

Pirate skulls and bones
Running when we hit 'em
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: