Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It's time to move on.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I will mention that to my botmaster, Jock McPie.
tcnthat Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:43 am

Too sane David.

Keep fighting people.

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:54 am
Post subject: Re: It's time to move on.Reply with quote

David wrote:
There has been some truly moronic stuff posted in general discussion over the past few days: "The players don't care"; "2 premierships in 50 years, we don't have a winning culture yada yada"; "Dale Thomas plays for himself"; "players x, y and z are rubbish"; etc, etc.

Guess what. Losses happen. Bad losses happen. "But," you argue, "should we accept a bad loss?"

Well, what else are you going to do - organize a protest outside the Lexus Centre? Lead a midnight lynch mob on Mick Malthouse? Stop showing up to games?

Fact is, we have a good team. We have a very good coach. Off-field, we have nothing to worry about. Even given all that, losses will still happen. It's a part of life, and even the most successful football team can't win every week.

Yes, it's been a long time since we won a premiership. I know that as much as any of you - I turned 2 the day after our 1990 premiership win, so I don't even have that as a distant memory. When I started following Collingwood earnestly, the Tony Shaw years were just beginning... I didn't even see a finals campaign until 2002. Those of you who lived through the 60s, 70s and 80s would have endured even more heartbreak.

But isn't that what supporting an AFL team is all about? You support them during the bad times as well as the good times. On average, each team is only going to win a premiership once every 16 years... so the average AFL supporter is going to have to endure 15 years of missed opportunities for that one year of premiership success. And not all teams are even that lucky. How do you think Saints fans feel with only one flag from 112 years of competition? Sure we like to bag them out, but what about Richmond supporters? Do you sometimes wonder why anyone follows the Tigers? 2 finals campaigns from 25 years, and a revolving door of sacked coaches and bottom of the ladder finishes. Perhaps we could learn something from Richmond supporters - the very mention of the word football must make them miserable, and yet, there they are supporting their team week in, week out (even if they are spitting and tearing up their memberships while they do so Laughing).

So, what do we do when we're faced with frustrating losses, and missed opportunities? What else can we do, other than look to next week, and hope for a victory? And, while there's still a mathematical chance, hope for that premiership that we compete for year in, year out. That premiership (in this case, the 2008 flag) is still within our grasp. We are much more than just a mathematical chance. Yes, it'll be a struggle, and yes, we may well not get there. That's how it goes. All we can hope for is that we have a team that has talent and competitiveness, an intelligent and inspiring coach, and tens of thousands of screaming Collingwood supporters attending matches cheering our team on, even when all is lost. The first two factors are already there, but out of our control... yet we can very much control the last.

So, stop bagging players who may have underperformed. Stop using empty, meaningless phrases like 'winning culture'. Stop attempting ridiculous feats of psychoanalysis from your armchair. Just support. And, you never know, in the end that might be the edge that gives us that long-awaited premiership.

If you tink for morment that i amgoin to put up with that atwocous effawt from Friday night then you are rooly and idiot.

top 4 is where we shald be and northing less. Shocked Laughing

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 am

david - many of us really should know better. we've seen some dark days. we've stood on the terraces at vic park knowing we were going to get belted yet we turned up anyway. the old cries of 'they've got no system' to 'the umps crucified us' to 'why do i bother, you're a disgrace collingwood'. we keep coming back for more, we always will.

arguably, we have the best crop of young talent this club has seen for quite some time and expectations are that they will deliver a period of sustained success. i'm still very excited by the prospects and believe we will win a flag in the next five years.

we have hope, as a supporter that's all one can ask for.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:58 am

This is definitely an ex coach talking trying to rally the troops for next week! its still in the elmer thud! Careful Jock, The Canberrian may take the rug from under your plates of meat!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Alec. J. Hidell 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:25 am

hardluck77 wrote:
rocca ben reidsent and tell how you think

Here's this effing code again.

Is there a special phrase book I need or something?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: