Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sir Charles labels AFL players 'idiots'

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At least our players get paid more than the Irish.
That's why the Irish boys want to come here, or do they?

I would substitute "idiots" for "brave" in the original text.
didaksrightfoot 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:21 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
I'm pretty sure his comments were tongue in cheek, as in, "Man, these dudes are idiots. They play football with no padding and get paid jack."

I agree with that - Barkley was being tongue in cheek and Im sure he didnt actually mean anything disrespectful by it.

As for whether or not AFL players should get paid more, I guess theres a couple of things to look at.

AFAIK its the highest paid team sport in the country... I think players get paid more than the rugby guys... and far, far more than domestic cricketers and NBL players (even at its peak, top salary (on the books) was about 300k).

Yes it doesnt compare to the handful of huge international sports - US pro leagues, and first division football in the big 5 or 6 European countries. ... but it would be unfair to expect it to compare when you look at the international fan-base for these teams and just how massive their merchandise and media deals are.

But look at European basketball (outside of the top 6-12 teams who have billionaires backing them passionately, and who get decent returns from Euroleague) and most of the 2nd line soccer competitions and I think the general range of salaries will be similar, except that top players in those sports will always earn more because there is International demand.

--

Also - all this talk of Barkley being an idiot is a bit off the mark.
As a basketball player he probably achieved more with his given set of attributes than anyone else in the history of the NBA. He is 6'4 at the most, and throughout his career was outrebounding 7-footers... when is the last time a 180cm player led the AFL in hitouts?

And off-court he plays a role and plays it bloody well (even if it is probably true to his own personality). He's a clown, people want him to be the clown, so he always says stupid things and acts in a stupid way because that is what he gets paid millions to do.
But when he makes serious comments (whether it be basketball related - telling Dwight Howard to develop a post-game) or political... he's normally on the ball and more people should take those comments seriously.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:37 pm

Culprit wrote:
Just another example from America who cannot see outside their own world. He fails to realise they have a population of 250 mil approx and the starting wage would be 1 million dollars US to $50k here for a rookie.

What he should realise if there was no NBA he would have been a circus act.

Spot on. The Round Mound of Rebound was his actual playing nickname.

The NBA is virtually the equivalent of Wrestling these days. Then again, most US "sports" are.

You know if the USA disappeared tomorrow I wouldn't miss them one bit. In fact the world would be a safer place. Razz
kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:49 pm

I just looked up the financial estimates for the NY Giants.

Quote:
Forbes magazine estimates the current value of the team at $890 million.[42] This ranks them 15th in the 30 team league in terms of value.[42] The value has steadily increased from $288 million in 1998, to the current value.[33] The magazine estimated their revenue in 2004 at $175 million, of which $43 million came from gate receipts. Operating revenue was $26.7 million, and player salary was $97 million.[40] The team finished second in the NFL in attendance in 2006, drawing 628,910 in eight games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_history_of_the_New_York_Giants#Modern_history:_1979.E2.80.93present

So this middle of the road (in terms of financial clout) team forks out almost 100 million US on player salaries. Get a clue Barkley.

spoljar Libra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:59 pm

I reckon the comments were a type of compliment to our players.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:00 pm

He was talking about Rugby League I heard. They would get paid less than AFL players and they smash into each other over an over not unlike NFL players.
didaksrightfoot 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:43 pm

kickit2me wrote:

So this middle of the road (in terms of financial clout) team forks out almost 100 million US on player salaries. Get a clue Barkley.

when the salary cap is $128m.

Whats your point?
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:49 am

The point stands...AFL players are underpaid for what they do.

If I had broken my nose, I'd be out for a month. AFL players are put back on with cotton wool shoved up their nose.

Ross Lyon was not even interested in hearing what was wrong with Goddard in the GF. Simply said put him back on.

kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:24 pm

didaksrightfoot wrote:
Whats your point?

I love your attitude...............Laughing

My point is that it's pretty easy to be a millionaire footballer in the U.S. if you're drafted to the big league. It's almost a guarantee.

Knobend

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eCW1TxGXO0 Razz
Albow Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:02 am

Presti#1Fan wrote:

The characters in professional sports are a thing of the past. Lets all lap up the sterile pre prepared quotes and never have any original, independent thought. YAY! Rolling Eyes

Oh and here is somthing for you Presti#1Fan
Lay off Chuck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf5pYMWGsMk

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:12 am

Albow wrote:
Presti#1Fan wrote:

The characters in professional sports are a thing of the past. Lets all lap up the sterile pre prepared quotes and never have any original, independent thought. YAY! Rolling Eyes

I appreciate the sentiment here, there's certainly less characters than there used to be, Malthouse on the other hand seems to love these guys and the challenge they represent. Jack Anthony was considered 'uncoachable' and is a bit of a weirdo by all reports. Certainly wears his heart on his sleeve. Look out for him as our 'character' in years to come.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Albow wrote:
Lay off Chuck

...Oh alright!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ16fT-ESIg

Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: