Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hypocrites! Why don't they just ban cigs.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So ban it them! Evil or Very Mad

Add tobacco to the list of proscribed drugs. That, or add hard drugs to the list of legally purchasable goods and tax them highly. That might actually mean more control of the current illicit drug market.

But they'd never ban cigs outright. There are just enough smokers to make it a political loser (especially among the lower classes who usually vote Labor Razz ).

Those drinkers among you beware though. In the next 20 years we'll be in exactly the same position over alcohol. I repeat, the wowsers are now fully in control of society.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Oh, FFS stop talking out of your backside Jack. It's not about wowserism; it's about trying to control a public health problem that costs thousands of lives per year and our economy billions of dollars. Unfortunately (as you yourself acknowledge) it's as nigh-on politically impossible to ban cigarettes as it is to legalise other drugs; the best we can do is try to minimise the carnage they cause.

Dr Pie answered you very well; there's nothing libertarian about supporting cigarette companies, and the source you've quoted is on the take from them. I suggest you go back to your Tiger Woods thread and talk about something you actually know a bit about. Laughing

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:02 pm

wow.
JacJacJacqui Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Wokko wrote:
And people who say prohibition doesn't work... how many heroin addicts do you know? It does work, there's just some flotsam and jetsam left in it's wake. Obviously it's never a perfect solution and some less harmful drugs like marijuana get caught up in it, but overall it's preferable to prohibit things like heroin than have a nation of junkies and addicts.

Alive or dead?

Pirate skulls and bones
Sticks and stones and weed and bombs
Running when we hit 'em
Lethal poison through their system
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:02 pm

I've quit smoking so I no longer care.

2 weeks ago I got up in the morning and put on a patch. Haven't had a smoke since. Been out a couple of times drinking and been with people who were smoking, no problem.

Pretty happy with myself so far to go from 30 a day to 0 in one shot. Very Happy And my temper hasn't been too bad either, I haven't killed or even seriously mauled anyone. Wink

Along with that I've had to dramatically increase the exercise as my appetite has increased 10 fold (desire for a smoke is the same as hunger pangs) and I don't want to turn into a Sumo wrestler.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:15 pm

congrats stui hope you stick to it. they do say the cravings of the first few days are the worst, after that its all psychological... your body doesnt really need ciggies

i will quit one day too. lol
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:44 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
I'm quite a heavy smoker (in a permanent state of contemplation regarding quitting) and I say ban them ASAP. Spain is talking out of his ass, there are no enjoyable outcomes from smoking. Those who wish to maintain a nicotine addiction can use the gum. That's what I'm thinking of doing when i finally cut the cigarette ties in 2010.

RR, I smoked from 16 to 34. 80+ a day at the end.
Haven't had one for 14 years. But I know if I had just one I would be back to that 80+ within 2 weeks.
As for quitting, I woke up one morning coughing my guts out reaching for the first one of the day. Something snapped inside and I went cold turkey from that day on. I had tried before and failed, but I was once told "never quit quitting".
Wise words.
Good luck.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:35 pm

member34259 wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
I'm quite a heavy smoker (in a permanent state of contemplation regarding quitting) and I say ban them ASAP. Spain is talking out of his ass, there are no enjoyable outcomes from smoking. Those who wish to maintain a nicotine addiction can use the gum. That's what I'm thinking of doing when i finally cut the cigarette ties in 2010.

RR, I smoked from 16 to 34. 80+ a day at the end.
Haven't had one for 14 years. But I know if I had just one I would be back to that 80+ within 2 weeks.
As for quitting, I woke up one morning coughing my guts out reaching for the first one of the day. Something snapped inside and I went cold turkey from that day on. I had tried before and failed, but I was once told "never quit quitting".
Wise words.
Good luck.

Shit, 80+ per day Shocked no wonder you were coughing.

I gave up for 12 months once before. During that time I had the (very) occasional drag of someone elses when they stuck it in my face to prove the point that i didn't need it. i could and did smoke one and one only to prove a point.

Unfortunately some sh1t happened, someone offered me a smoke and I took it. then another, and another. Then I remembered I had half a 12 month old packet hidden and went and got them. Sad It's taken me 3 years to get to the point where I can quit again and this time I won't go back, because I don't want to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: