Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Excessive Speeding Drivers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackAndWhiteSince87 Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Culprit wrote:
JacJacJacqui wrote:
How about learning how to drive? If it wasn't so easy to get a licence, we wouldn't have so many people on the road who have no idea. We wouldn't have to drive so slow if more people knew what to do if their car was out of control. For example, some instructors offer to give free lessons if the learner doesn't get their licence on their first attempt. In other words, they teach what the learner will NEED to know to pass the test and that is all. Unfortunately, most instructors couldn't drive a greasy stick up a pig's bum so how do we expect their students to learn?
They teach you to pass a test not to actually drive.

Thats even if theyve bothered with professional lessons.

I knew a guy who only had 1 before his practical test,and the instructor goes "oh yeah,you're right mate".Drew died in a car crash 2 weeks after he got his P's.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:44 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
Speed isn't the killer, indiscriminate speed is.

I've found that slow drivers tend to cause accidents because they frustrate everyone behind them into doing something stupid.

In Germany on the autobahns you get fined for going too slow.

No, it's sad when kids get themselves killed by sheer stupidity, but the principle with cars is the same as with guns. The tool itself doesn't kill, only the tool controlling it.

Final point: Make it just as hard to get a driver's license as to fly a light plane. After all driving on the roads is massively more dangerous than flying a Cessna or Piper out of Moorabbin.

Of course, the car makers would scream blue murder, because the number of drivers on the road would halve in no time at all (and that has to be a good thing).

Funny I've always imagined you wearing your bowling hat putting along in your Morris Major on your way to the Flat Earth Society meeting and piss up! Razz

What have you got against bowling? Razz
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Dark Lord wrote:
How about better parenting?

Well there are parents on this board who have admitted to supplying alcohol to their underage children.
So you certainly have a point.
Parents these days want to be "best mates" with their kids. It just doesn't work and we have a society that we have today because of it.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:47 pm

I would say far more societal problems are sourced from abusive, neglectful or incompetent parenting than those who try to remain an active part of their children's lives.
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:57 pm

David wrote:
I would say far more societal problems are sourced from abusive, neglectful or incompetent parenting than those who try to remain an active part of their children's lives.

All about discipline David. Modern parents don't do it for fear of their "angels" hating them.
In the past discipline instilled respect in you for your parents and for society in general.

Back to the person who's actions inspired this thread. All the papers reported his family/girlfriend stating how he was a nice boy who never drove recklessly or would drive under the influence or would do anything to break the law. He was such an angel in their eyes.
Yet his driving had been noted by police in the past. He loaded a 5 seat vehicle with 6 people. He had a license that allowed only one passenger. He hit the tree at 140kmh. He had a BAC of 0.19.
Why did he do any of these things? Bad parenting, no respect for society or other people.
Simple answer for a simple problem.
David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:07 pm

member34259 wrote:
In the past discipline instilled respect in you for your parents and for society in general.

I actually agree with this. Correct discipline is certainly a crucial aspect of parenting.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:28 pm

i live near where that accident on plenty rd happened. also at the crash scene still there are freinds of the 5 killed and there is alcohol cans on the ground empty, you reckon they would learn their lesson wouldn't ya, some of the cars i reckon are illegal.

it would be intresting to see if the girl that survived the crash comes and says what really happened. she was the ONLY person in that car wearing a seat belt

the next night/day we hear that there was 3 ppl caught speeding in rezza, sth morang and epping. 1 person was a mate of 1 of the ppl that died. then we hear a girl 17yo no license has some grog and drives her mum's car into a tree.

there should be a rule you can not get a car untill you turn 20 or so.

oh and you should see all the skid marks from cars around here on the roads its hoon city around here
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:48 am

Fire Up wrote:
i live near where that accident on plenty rd happened. also at the crash scene still there are freinds of the 5 killed and there is alcohol cans on the ground empty, you reckon they would learn their lesson wouldn't ya, some of the cars i reckon are illegal.

it would be intresting to see if the girl that survived the crash comes and says what really happened. she was the ONLY person in that car wearing a seat belt

the next night/day we hear that there was 3 ppl caught speeding in rezza, sth morang and epping. 1 person was a mate of 1 of the ppl that died. then we hear a girl 17yo no license has some grog and drives her mum's car into a tree.

there should be a rule you can not get a car untill you turn 20 or so.

oh and you should see all the skid marks from cars around here on the roads its hoon city around here
No Surprise, Now I hear that a 100 youths were on a road, drunk and a car hit them and they attacked the driver. No brains at all. Must have great parents out there.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 am

David wrote:
member34259 wrote:

I actually agree with this. Correct discipline is certainly a crucial aspect of parenting.

LOL, says David with his x number of kids and y number of years parenting experience. Wink
David Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:03 am

In fairness, I have seen 7 younger siblings grow up, so my observations about parenting aren't completely irrelevant. Razz
tcnthat Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:58 am

jack_spain wrote:
David wrote:
member34259 wrote:

LOL, says David with his x number of kids and y number of years parenting experience. Wink

And he still manages to come up with a reasoned and considered post. Rolling Eyes

I think its less about parenting and more about generational/societal attitudes in general, of which parenting is a component.

Personally I would like to see drivers get their licence earlier rather than later. And it should be harder to get. Passing a defensive driving course as a minimum or something. A couple o fyears driving prior to getting access to piss/pubs etc may be beneficial. At then end of the day though, this shit aint new, there is a bad one like this every few years, all the way back to when i was a young bloke. People die in motor vehicle accidents. Fact of modern life. Not nice, not pretty, just is.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 am

like i was saying in stui's facebook page (its the new nicks for anybody not in the know)

speed limits here are 80 on a regular street and 120 on a highway. however, you are allowed to go 40kph above the speed limit so driving 160 on the highway will not get you fined. and thus, everybody drives around that speed.

when i come back to melbourne im gonna have a real tough time adjusting to the speed limits. 60kph feels like a crawl to me right now
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 am

i also agree that its less about parenting. i was taught by my uncle who is the most careful driver (he is a cabbie, but he never ever speeds at least when theres others in the car or when he was teaching me)

but the first thing i wanted to do when i got my P's was speed. i remember one of my first nights with my Ps i got up to 180kph on the eastern freeway in my little 4c daewoo

the next night, i think it was cam cloke who got pinned for doing the same speed on the exact same stretch of highway!!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:22 am

My solutions to this ever growing problem are:

1. Place speed inhibitors on all vehicles. Every State and Territory has a maximum speed limit so set the inhibitors to that.

2. Why is there a need for any road vehicle to go from 0 to 100 km/hr at supersonic speeds. All it does is increase the potential for uncontrolled acceleration and accidents. Again speed inhibitors (or acceleration inhibitors) would be the go here, that's not to deny drivers access to powerful acceleration because there are times in an emergency when you need power to "steer" your vehicle out of slides or uncontrolled steering, but merely to reduce the amount of power accessable to them to a reasonable level.

3. Recidivist speeders should be made to view actual accident photographs and videos obtained by Police during the investigation of serious vehicle accidents, obviously involving speed. The viewing of these images would have to approved by the respective parties / or surviving families involved.

4. Anyone caught doing 40 km/hr or more over the posted speed limit, without lawful reason, should suffer instant suspension of license and I mean immediate. This could be contested in court by the relevant party but the license would stay under suspension unless the court finds in their favour.
The relevant penalties could be - first offence = 3 month suspension
second offence = 6 month suspension
third offencse = 12 month suspension
fourth offence = life suspension.
These are of course separate to any financial penalty or prison term imposed under law.

5. Anyone found driving without a valid drivers license (a lot of people who speed don't have valid licenses) has the vehicle being driven impounded.
Penalties could be - first offence = 30 day impounding
second day = 90 day impounding
third offence = vehicle sold and all monies to charity.
Also if any driver is found driving without a valid license after the third offence would be subject to the penalty prescribed for the third offence.
Again these penalties would be separate to any financial deterrent or prison term.

6. The courts need to start imposing prison terms for speeding offences before them that would otherwise be considered worthy of either a heavy financial penalty, suspended sentence or both. I'm not talking about years in jail but 30 day terms, and they must serve the full 30 days. This would start giving potential speeders serious pause for thought.

I have others but my kids need breakfast so that will do for the time being.

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:39 am

To all those saying it should be harder to get your licence, and people should be forced to do advanced/defensive driving courses...

These will solve nothing. All this will do is give young hoon drivers a false sense of security that they can handle any driving situation. It will make them think they are better drivers than they actually are.

A Falcon XR6 is not a racing car. It's not designed to be able to handle corners at 160kmh. By all reports, the driver mounted the median strip, lost the backend, over-corrected and hit a tree. Michael Schumacher would not be able to recover that car once the backend was lost in that situation. So the problem is not with the driver's skills (or lack thereof). The problem is with the decision-making:

.19 BAC driver.
6 people in a sedan
no seatbelts
160kmh at 2am
Driver was angry because of what happened at some party

All of these are poor, poor decisions on behalf of the driver, his friends who let him drive, his friends for getting into the car, for not wearing seatbelts etc.

Driver skill is not the problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: