Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Port Adelaide Magpies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 5:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

i must confess to having a real soft spot for both the crows and port...every time we're in need of a win to get back on track it seems we come up against one of them. may they remain our bitches forever.

Dr Alf Andrews Pisces

Fitzroy Victoria Bowling Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:39 am

Dear Port Maggies 4 eva,

Welcome to Collingwood.

As you can see, Collingwood supporters, as a rule, despise Port Adelaide. I'm the exception to that rule. Possibly the ONLY exception, so don't take my views too seriously.

I have a great love for the Port Adelaide Football Club. My allegiance to Port Adelaide in the S.A.N.F.L. goes back further than my allegiance to Collingwood.

This sometimes earns me a bit of hatred around here, but so what? I can't change my past, so why should I be ashamed of it?

I can say this quite truthfully ... In 1990, Port Adelaide's Grand Final win over Glenelg meant more to me than Collingwood's Grand Final win over Essendon. The reason is ... I was THERE. The Collingwood premiership was just something I saw on T.V. I enjoyed it, of course ... but the Port premiership meant more because I LIVED it.

I moved to Melbourne during the summer of 1996/97, just prior to Port's entry into the A.F.L. For me it was a very tough decision to decide between Collingwood and Port, so I let geography make the decision for me. I was moving to Melbourne to study, so I committed myself to Collingwood back then ... and I've never regretted it.

Now Collingwood is the Club that I live and breathe. But Port Adelaide is a club that I still take a lot of interest in. I watch their matches on T.V. whenever I can and always want them to win, unless they're playing Collingwood. When they played Richmond in the Wizard Cup final earlier this year, I went along to cheer for them and sat in the bay next to their cheer squad. In their first few seasons I went to see a lot of their games in Melbourne, but I don't do that so much these days, because the longer I live in Melbourne, the more distant my connection to Port becomes.

As for the Port Magpies, they don't get any publicity over here so it's very hard to keep track of them. I've noticed they are really struggling these days and that is very sad to hear. But I guess once Port joined the A.F.L. it was inevitable that interest in the S.A.N.F.L. club would decline. Although, the way their supporters have dropped off so suddenly makes them seem a bit like Carlton supporters to me. And back in the halcyon days of the late 1980s and early 1990s, Port Adelaide supporters had all the arrogance that we associate with Carlton supporters. A front-running arrogance that doesn't survive very long into a losing streak.

Actually, being so closely involved with Collingwood during such a bleak period in The Club's history has made me appreciate Collingwood's success in 2002. To make the Grand Final in 2002 and to actually be there meant a lot more to me than all those Port premierships. I think Port supporters are spoiled by their success. Collingwood fans seems to have a bit more "character", shall we say. And it's a "character" built out of suffering.

I hope you've got the information you were looking for. As I say, my views aren't typical. Collingwood supporters have a very negative view of Port. They see Port as a threat to their identity, hence the constant references to how Collingwood are the REAL Magpies etc etc etc ... This is all just a part of the standard Victorian resentment towards other states for stealing what they see as their competition. It's all pretty small-minded, parochial and illogical ... but hey, that's football.

Good luck with your research ... All the best ... May the Port Magpies get back to their rightful spot as the undisputable rulers of the S.A.N.F.L. And may the Teal Blues have a sensational season in 2003 ... except when they get their arses thoroughly kicked by the Mighty Collingwood Magpies.

floreat pica
My Ph.D. thesis, "Football: the People's Game?" is now available for viewing and/or downloading at http://alf.magpies.net
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:35 am

alf this shocks me.....being a leader of the Collingwood cheersquad and still supporting another AFL club...even going to their games and cheering them on....SHAME SHAME SHAME....

I actually feel quite sick

Their is only one club...COLLINGWOOD....full stop...

not second favourites or third fav...

You should not be ashamed of your past....you were just stuck in a state of woe....you saw the light and came to Collingwood....if you still have a soft spot for Port go and support them....dont get up (in the collingwood cheersquad) and expect other real magpie supporters to follow your cheers with any heart...you clearly have a conflict of interest....I nominate that you step aside as cheersquad leader until you can say you are COLLINGWOOD through and through

in the old days my fav three clubs were Collingwood seniors, collingwood reserves and Collingwood U'19's.....

That is not possible now.....but never....ever would I support another club for any reason....past, present or future...take a good look at yourself......

GO PIES

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:54 am

i hope but fear im not reading Pies Premiers post with an assumption of sarcasm. alf has seen the light - end of story. cut him some slack...we've all got our own backgrounds that influence our choices.

Ian Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:18 pm

Come on Pies premiers - give Alf a break, He evidently is Collingwood through and through (sometimes you cant forget the past, but must also look to the future).

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 2:15 am

Alf - You may find that we have had a go at her because she said this about us, and quote:

Quote:
You guys are seriously deluded. About that whole, there are 2 types of supporters, those that barrak for collingwood and those that wish they did! Oh come on! Ripping off Fos Williams(RIP) are we now? I remember him quoting something like, "there are 2 types of football supporter in SA, those who barrack for Port, and those that wish they did." Cant you Victorians think of anything for yourselves?

She had it coming, I was going to help before she decided to have a go at us.

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:39 am

Fair go. Alf has never tried to make a secret of the fact that, as a South Australian, he was a Port Adelaide supporter. As he has said, as a Victorian, he's a Magpie... and one who puts in week after week.

I'm hoping Tessa that your comments are tongue in cheek, it's almost impossible to tell in this environment. Alf has, like any Pies fan, puts his life and soul into supporting our Club and doesn't deserve prejudice based on differences he can do nothing about. I don't know if you've noticed, but converts are often the greatest zealots - ask a reformed smoker.

Alf, I followed Port Adelaide in the SANFL from a distance because they too were the Magpies and it's almost impossible for a Pies fan not to feel some connection to other Magpies teams. I haven't met one Pies fan who has a problem with Port Adelaide being the Magpies and none of us worries about Port Power being the Magpies, because they're not. They are the ones that are bitter and twisted at not being able to use the magpie or the black and white and they never shut up about it. We get a lot of hate mail at this site from fans of other clubs and we get as much from Port fans as we get from the other clubs combined. Vitriolic, hateful gibberish - you can almost feel the spittle coming off the pages.

When Port joined the comp. they were just another opponent, but now years of conditioning by their fans has left me with an automatic feeling of distaste whenever I am forced to think of them.

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:48 am

Get off Alf's back!
He is Collingwood through and through.

None of you have the right to question him.
Get off your high horse.

KILL FOR COLLINGWOOD
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:52 am

Yeah, Alf is Collingwood through 'n through. My post was just to let Alf know why people weren't answering her (if he didn't know already).

JDF

Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:05 am

Alf's actions speak louder than his words. He has bled all year for collingwood (and i'm sure many years previous and many years to come). Geez people, he is collingwood through and through. Not once has he ever suggested we are not number 1.

I too enjoyed Swan Districts 1990 premiership more than the collingwood. I was 13 years old and WAFL had been my life for so long. If you didn't live in WA then you are not eligable to comment because you have no idea what the WAFL used to be like. For people in WA you barracked for a WAFL team and then you had a team that you also hoped won in the VFL. As the WAFL deteriorated that is when Collingwood became my first team of choice, not my "other team in the VFL/AFL". I still follow the mighty black ducks (swans) in the WAFL but my passion now rides much more so with the pies.

If Swans ever became an AFL team I would still follow Collingwood without doubt but ask me would I have a soft spot for Swan Districts? you betcha! Memories of sitting in grandstands as a 6 year old chanting "swans forever" etc still brings goosebumps.

My point is that until you have been brought up in another state you have no idea what the impact of following a team from another league is about. Alf obviously links Port Power with the Port Magpies. Get over it people.

Sorry for the rant but I feel there are a lot here who are misinformed.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:06 am

I take that back. I meant a few people here who are misinformed.

My oxygen is Collingwood. Without it I die.

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:22 am

Hate to say it I agree with this feral port person .....how can you claim to be Collingwood through and through, whilst still go to Port matches and cheer them on????

It's the old Chewbacca defence...."It does not make sense"

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:30 am

As far as I know, Alf doesn't go to Port matches unless we are playing them.

JDF

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:30 am

It doesn't offend me Tessa, I just think it's unfair. In my opinion Alf has earned the right to the occasional foible.

If I'd been at the Power/Richscum match - I'd have been going for the Power too. The only match that I wouldn't be cheering for anyone playing Richmond would be a Blues/Tigers match, and I wouldn't be there to cheer anyway.

Anyway, Alf doesn't need me to fight his battles, he's more than capable of doing that for himself.

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 4:42 am

hey Joel....check out Alfs post.....

Not having a crack at him....just think it is a concern that the leader of the cheersquad can be seen at port matches jumping up and down for a wankerneen goal...

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: