Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aussie home prices world's most-overpriced

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Factors, yes. Certainly and very, very clearly not more important than relentless population increase, bogan baby subsidies, and huge taxation anomalies. The so-called "skill shortage" you mention is largely an outgrowth of the factors I mention - i.e., an effect rather than a cause - and is made worse by the over-emphasis on mining in our economy, but I agree that the second one is also very significant.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 am

The biggest problem we have out here in is the lack of infrastructure, transport and economic growth potential in the form of jobs or places to stimulate local income and economy. I used to work in St Kilda Road and it would take me up to an hour and one half to either drive or take public transport. And to have to do this on the return journey means your quality of life is shattered and you are too exhausted on the weekend to do anything. Fortunately now I work from home doing Contract work but not everyone has this flexibility in their job types or businesses.

The above trade off is evened out somewhat by less expensive land and more of it, and the ability to new build and save by doing so. You can get a larger house on a bigger block, save on stamp duty, with ducks and kangaroos living in harmony with all. It's a beautiful part of the world and for now, its like living in the countryside.

But the alternative to growing out is up and having lived in London for many years where they have done both, I do not recommend the up at all.

I know people will no longer in the main have the quarter acre blocks that our parents had access to but if we are to develop, grow and provide well needed housing, we must support this in providing access to those issues I have mentioned to the outskirt communities of Melbourne to assist them in general standards of living.

We now feel so remote here that we are selling up and moving to the Bellarine Peninsula. I have always wanted to live by the sea but at least there, we have close by Geelong, no traffic and a market we can create a few new businesses for. Rural communties like Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo are fantastic places to live around. You have a great quality of life, less expensive housing and a better community to bring your family into I believe.

The Labour/Labor state government always bleeted on about doing something about regional communities but it never really took off. At that time there was a rebate for people to move into country regional areas, I think it was around $3,000. Schemes like this should be encouraged as these places have great facilities, transport and business to accommodate relocators.

Last edited by annewilo on Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:56 am

Annewilo, am I right in my perception that Doreen has two different price ranges due to the Ministry fo Housing setting up there as well?

As for Infrastructure, they build first worry about the rest later as they do not want the cost to go onto developers they want ratepayers to pay for it. One only needs to look back a few years to the development of the roads from Mill park onwards.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:38 am

Culprit wrote:
Annewilo, am I right in my perception that Doreen has two different price ranges due to the Ministry fo Housing setting up there as well?

As for Infrastructure, they build first worry about the rest later as they do not want the cost to go onto developers they want ratepayers to pay for it. One only needs to look back a few years to the development of the roads from Mill park onwards.

There is no industry as yet in Mill Park. And by infrastucture, I don't mean so much roads, as we have plenty of these, its more so businesses likes offices, manufacturing and trades. Pretty much most who live out here run their own businesses or do a long commute, so it's very hard for those who can't, to find regular work locally.

3754 has a fairly large area which encompasses Doreen, Laurimar, Mernda Villages, Woodland Waters and Rivergum. The Ministry of Housing as you call it, like it does in your area, buy housing mainly now in many areas across Victoria, so people don't feel as though they are being ostricised by small minded people like they were when places such as West Heidelberg was handed over post the Olympic build of 1956. The Ministry has moved away from this because those same people have the view, "not in my neighbourhood".

DHS which is now the governing body of housing for those with needs, as the Ministry no longer exists, recently purchased 8 houses in the Laurimar area, as did one of the prisons from regional Victoria, in a deal done with AV Jennings at one of their estates, to assist low risk prisoners return to society. It is very hard for people in this position to get rental properties in the private sector as most landlords don't allow people with a criminal record. So how are people to be given a chance to rehabiltate back into the community? The houses and townhouses are built by the same developers as those in the area building the larger housing. And as we all have design guidelines here, they look no different, albeit smaller, than a house I would live in. Nation Build also assisted a lot of familes who I knew from our Kinglake days with housing by building them new homes in parts of Doreen. So I cannot see how you see that there are two price ranges. In all honesty, there are about 20,000 price differences here as we all build different houses on different land sizes. Are you implying that because people live in DHS Housing that this brings down the value of an area.?If this is the case then we have a problem right across Victoria!!! I am unsure of your point?

Interestingly we had a visit from Defence Housing, who are scouting the area for a Senior ranked officer house or a rent back situation. We chose not to progress with this because we didnt want to make some of the changes to the property they had asked for (ie our alfresco area didnt have enough roofline so they wanted it extended!!!!!).

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:15 am

Unfortunately the problems associated with Ministry/DHS areas do bring prices down. Yes there is a need for low income houses and access for ex prisoners etc.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:52 am

Culprit wrote:
Unfortunately the problems associated with Ministry/DHS areas do bring prices down. Yes there is a need for low income houses and access for ex prisoners etc.

I disagree that this is an issue with the format they do now. For all you know, you more than likely have a DHS house nearby you!!! You might even have one in your street god forbid. How on earth would you know?

Gosh as a society we really have come a long way from where we were pre World War II days where some regimes used to paint the star of David on the houses of the Jews so we all knew where they lived! I know that is a rather dramatic comparison but do you dislike people who have DHS housing that much? Unfortunately we didnt lose our property during the fires but we lost 18 people in our street. So are you saying that the ones who got housed in Nation Building houses in Doreen are now bringing down the value of my property? You have to be kidding surely.

I don't see why you think intergrated housing brings down the value of your house?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:09 am

Barking up the wrong tree here, I have lived in a Ministry House and area and seen what transpires first hand. I crawled out of the gutter and have no wish to go back there.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 am

dont know if its dhs/ministry or what, but i agree with building codes to keep the area at a certain level.

you get a line of gorgeous properties, then a 10 square spec home in the middle, even if its immaculate, it stand out, and it does bring the neighbouring houses down.

what i really hate are the lazy buggers who wont cut the grass, the yards a mess, 5 burnt out cars in the drive, crap everywhere, the laws against that should be enforced!! and you see that with big houses too!

but the one thing i really cant stand, luckily its around the corner, i dont have to drive past it, theres another exit!! but i really pity the poor buggers next door!!

this guy has two giant, atleast 20 foot tall plastic bloody palm trees in his front yard, they even had fake coconuts in bright colours, but i think someone shot em down! he lights it up at xmas, oh my god it is so bad!!

we had Defence force personnel in a rental we had, they were fussy but brilliant tenants!

annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 am

Culprit wrote:
Barking up the wrong tree here, I have lived in a Ministry House and area and seen what transpires first hand. I crawled out of the gutter and have no wish to go back there.

For some its a place that they can't move out of. They have needs. I am sure there are loads of people who have the need to rely on DHS for whatever reason. Health, Age, Unemployment, high rental costs etc. For you there is a stigma attached, but for me, I see it as essential that we support people who have a need. We are all humans and I do not base my opinions on someone just because they might live in government housing.

You have missed my point completely. I have stated that they are now intergrating housing so there is no longer the stigma attached to it.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:18 am

Yes they stand out think positive; I have had a change of owners across the road. They still think they are living in downtown Mumbai. The place was beautiful as are all the houses around it. Its an eyesore now and I hope it catches fire and burns down as it would be a better sight.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 am

annewilo wrote:
Culprit wrote:

For some its a place that they can't move out of. They have needs. I am sure there are loads of people who have the need to rely on DHS for whatever reason. Health, Age, Unemployment, high rental costs etc. For you there is a stigma attached, but for me, I see it as essential that we support people who have a need. We are all humans and I do not base my opinions on someone just because they might live in government housing.

You have missed my point completely. I have stated that they are now intergrating housing so there is no longer the stigma attached to it.
It's good to hear they are intergrating as that is a far better system. I agree there are needs and that is why we have DHS housing in place.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:24 am

You should move into the street that I live on, maybe that will help inflate local house prices. I have the best car on the street (a Merc) and the second tidiest front yard. I need to get one of those edge trimmer things...

Some houses on my street I swear to god have never had a mowing since the grass was installed almost a year ago! It's like a forest out there
annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:26 am

Culprit wrote:
Yes they stand out think positive; I have had a change of owners across the road. They still think they are living in downtown Mumbai. The place was beautiful as are all the houses around it. Its an eyesore now and I hope it catches fire and burns down as it would be a better sight.

ffs not even worth a reply, over and out.

annewilo 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:40 am

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
You should move into the street that I live on, maybe that will help inflate local house prices. I have the best car on the street (a Merc) and the second tidiest front yard. I need to get one of those edge trimmer things...

Some houses on my street I swear to god have never had a mowing since the grass was installed almost a year ago! It's like a forest out there

We had the same issue a few years back when we all first built. It was because the developer offered landscaping packages with stone and mulch rather than turf or lawn seed. No one bothered to buy a lawn mower to do the naturestrips and during the droungt our lovely street looked horrid. We went down the turf path and hence bought a mower before we came here. Our house looks great now with beautiful lawns. And green as. But with the weather we have had in the last 6 months, we are having to mow it every week.

The developer realised the issue and now mows everyones naturestrips. Will be fine until they move on is supposedly 2012 and had back to Whittlesea council. Doubt they will be in the mood to mow their naturestrips.

So back to the topic. In selling, we are finding that the so called boom prices and "20% higher than should be prices" dropped away last year. We have had a load of buyers in who want a bargain. So people are offering stupid prices, to try and capitalise on a buyers market..

I am surpirsed that the media is stating we have the highest prices in the world by income comparison, as Olso, Tokyo and London have always been higher than us. Then again, with salaries taking a dive around the GFC time, so people could keep their jobs, it's maybe accurate afterall.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 pm

It used to be called Ministry of Housing (MOH) now called the Department of Housing (DOH) which fits under the adminstrative umbrella of the Department of Human Services (DHS). These are all state based.

Many years ago I worked for the Office of Intellectual Disability Services (OIDS)
My wife worked for the Office of Psychiatric Services (OOPS) - I kid you not! (1980's).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5   

Jump to: