Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Columbia

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murray 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Joffa.
Any loss of life is tradgic.

However, I read about a train crash in Europe yesterday, it killed 35 people. It rated about a 2 cm column in the Age.
How I wish more people could see things as clearly as I think you do Joffa.

DISCLAIMER - If any of my posts are contrary to the views of Mike or any of the other Mods then my views and opinions are to be totally ignored.

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:42 am

Now I understand why the Religion & Politics thing is so correct....hatemongering is hatemongerin gregardless of whose side you take....I don't wonder at all what life would be like without American propaganda or Israeli propoganda or any the lies and deciet that come from the oppressing leader or iraq. I simply wonder what the world would be like without hate....and it seems that we are still along way away from that.

My sympathies go out to all who die in tragic circumstances regardless of colour or creed. The train crash in Sydney was tragic and loss of life could have been avoided if only recommendation put forward for change had been adhered to. I feel for those intrepid explorers, who, regardless of thier governments intentions, evil or otherwise had only the intention in their hearts to create new frontiers and to expand mans knowledge of the universe...I feel for the people of Iraq who may suffer the consequences of an evil manipulative dictator whose supposed self importance is outweighed by his actual importance, and has caused probably more civilian death due to testing of his own supposed power than may be caused in an impending war...A tragedy is a tragedy in any nationality....Australian, Chinese, American, or otherwise.

When will the hate end????

"NEVER LEAVE, NEVER GIVE UP ON THEM AND ALWAYS BE THERE AT THE END TO CLAP THEM OFF THE GROUND. WE ARE COLLINGWOOD SUPPORTERS SON, EVEN IF THEY BEAT US, WE ARE STILL BETTER THAN THEM!"(quote from my mum when I was 8 years old)
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:52 am

Well said NP, its a shame that a genuine outpour greef from some, gets turned into a message of hate by others.
R.I.P COLUMBIA

http://magpiemad.magpies.net/
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:46 am

Didn't Russia have a submarine where people died ?? I thought that got a fair bit of exposure ??

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
MarkT 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:00 pm

It is a terrible tradgedy but on the scale of world events it doesn't rate the press proportionate to what it got. More poeple die in an Israeli raid in the occupied territories, or a Palestinian bombing, or any number of daily events. More people will dies in the first hour of Iraki Bombing and every hour after that and many of them have no say in thier fate whatsoever.

Hopefully the space programe will be put on hold and the money spent on more benevolent activities. Maybe not!

Black_White 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:26 pm

O.K. Train wreck vs Shuttle disaster.
Difference?
VIDEO my friends, VIDEO!

How much film was available of the train disaster? Zero, zilch.
How much film of the Columbia disaster? Seems every american and his dog now owns a vid cam and we have all seen the results. Spectacular pics of people losing their lives, of tonnes of junk hurtling to earth in a display reminiscent of NYE, is sure to be on every TV channel, in every publication for the next few months.
Add to that, FBI warnings that the junk is toxic, don't touch.
Still pics of a burnt space helmet. How identifiable. Any identifiable bits that tell you it was a train that derailed? That pieces of Columbia appeared on E-Bay within hours for sale, only adds fuel for our media friends to bombard us with.

Every loss of life, in the western or eastern or so-called "third world", is tragic and should be met with our grief and sorrow.
Unfortunately, we are products of our society and that means we are media driven. And the media uses any available footage/stills to "inform" us. The Sydney crash had precious few of these images.

-Craig

Peppermint Pattie Aquarius

Like a bat out of hell...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:18 pm

I can't believe that this discussion is even happening.
I started the thread to honour the memories of the dead astronauts, not to get everyone bagging the Americans.

Rowdy, You are 100% correct, we (or rather, I) consider this to be a big issue because space exploration is a topic close to my heart.
This tragedy had a big impact on me because for years, I have wanted to travel to space, and I have followed the journey of the Columbia since launch.

Quote:
all this crap and its only because there yanks

Joffa,I'm sorry that you feel this way, but you are very wrong.
There ARE people out there making tributes to those lost in the train accident, and no disrespect to any others should occur because we have not come across one of them.

If you feel very strongly about this issue, then say something, which is exactly what I did in creating the topic.

We do not honour the lives of dead Astronoauts because they are "Yanks" (and what a racist term that is).
We honour their lives because they are poineers of today and are forever helping our lives become more enriched.

And one more thing. This was not an "American" mission. It was a mission that has forever changed the world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Founder of "The Quest To Poke Ryan Lonie's Belly-button"

*naaa naaaa na na nana, naaa naaa naaa GET TZATZIKI WITH IT!*
one eyed magpie 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:33 pm

The death of seven people in a train crash in Sydney is tragic. And, contrary to what someone said, it was extensively covered in the media.

The death of seven people in a shuttle explosion is tragic. It happened in America. America has the largest and most aggressive media on the planet. Any wonder it got so much coverage.

The death of a cosmonaut (eg Gagarin) is tragic. It too was extensively covered - albeit for different reasons (cold war and all that).

The death of 45 people in a train crash in Zimbabwe is also tragic. It hardly got any coverage - hardly any piccies guys.

The death of probably thousands in Iraq will probably get lots of coverage - except it will all be from the viewpoint of the planes dropping the bombs.

So it goes.   

Hurricane 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:37 pm

Agreed.

I can't believe how its socially acceptable to discriminate against and hate Americans.

All lives are irreplaceable.

joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:16 pm

I dont hate americans i just feel sorry for them.

I dont bow to anything american and im certainly not in awe of everything american.

The space mission represents everything wrong with america it clearly justifies the expense whilst its society is wrecked with crime drugs and poverty.

And i do agree death of any human being is very sad, i dont however regard the deaths of 7 astronauts as world catastrophic event.

Its sad how the millions who die each year through starvation doesnt capture the worlds attention.

Its sad that youth suicide through out the world is at its highest and it too doesnt capture our attention as it should.

Get your priorities right the human race is certainly doomed if we try and put the shuttle tragedy above the every day tragedies we now have.

Just think for one minute how far that money would go in helping those in need throughout the world...

100,000 GOLD WIGS and a million shining eyes
This our country's one true game
And the footy ground's on fire
And collingwood's sons and daughter's, under wide Australian skies
Win or lose we're back again to claim the winner's prize.....

Go Pies you bloody beauties !! 'Caaarm Ornnn' kill the Bloody Bastards.

email..joffa@magpies.net

[This message has been edited by joffa_the_man_in_gold (edited 03 February 2003).]
TaZ_LuVs_EmIn3m Gemini

*~KeViN is GoRjOuZ~*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:41 pm

look guys i think every1 respects ur oppinions but this is a to touchy subject for every1 to get 2 personal!! Yes ive also noticed that it seems like sum countries are more favoured than others but the bottom line is.......7 people died trying to help US for our future and becoz they ricked their lives up in space it helps get us one step closer to us lving out in space so that we can and will go on for thousands and years! Hey it wasnt all americans and it shouldnt matter wat race they r the fact is they died helping us and that should all that count!!!

sorry if i offended n e one but i think its very disrespectful to act like it doesnt matter they died becoz sum of them were americans!!

*~Catch ya later luv always Tara~*
***aka Tara_luvsNicknBrodie***
***I luv EMIN3M***

"Till I Collapse" By Eminem and Nate Dogg

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out
Till my legs give out, can’t shut my mouth.
Till the smoke clears out and my high burns out
I’ma rip this sh*t till my bones collapse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
*Rach_luvs_Lonie* Aries

*~LiL bItTa CoUnTrY..LiL bItA mJ~*

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:54 pm

Taz, I couldy agree more!!! Well sed!
Luv rach!!xoxox

*OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE OHH THE RYAN LONIE AND THATS WOT ITS ALL ABOUT*

RyAn LoNiE Is SoOoOoOo HoT! I wAnNa mArRy HiM!
Miss_Lisey_Molloy Taurus

Keith Urban - CMA 2005 Entertainer Of The Year!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:00 pm

Come on you lil chickens! (thats in a nice way! lolz. its how i talk). Dont you remember in like the 1950's-1970's around then when America was very scared communism was going to take over the country and capitalism would be destroyed! So North Vietnam joined forces with China, and South Vietnam joined forces with USA and they fought the Vietnam war! Then South Vietnam lost but communism didnt take over the world like dominoes, like the Americans thought! We dont need to fight over countries. That was a big war, we dont want our own one!

Sorry i have learnt too much today! lolz

Love always, Alyssa xoxo

*~Jarrod Molloy's #1 Fan~* *~Jarrod 4 Copeland 2003!~*

My SoNg Of ThE wEeK

"Lonely rivers flow 2 the sea, 2 the sea, 2 the open arms of the sea yeah, Lonely rivers side, Wait 4 me, Wait 4 me, I'll be coming home, Wait 4 me, Oh my luv, my darlin, I've hungered, hungered, 4 ur touch, A long lonely time"
*Unchained Melody- The Righteous Brothers*
One Of The Best Days Of My Life- December 17th, 2002! I love you Jarrod Molloy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:16 pm

We are left, we are right, we are neutral, we are Christian and Buddhist and Hindu and Muslim and Jewish and Atheist and Agnostic. Most of us are Australian, but there are plenty of other countries represented by our group as well. We are rich, we are poor... we have almost nothing in common.

Why then are we here?

Oh that's right this is a Collingwood Football Club forum.

Let's have the political / social / economic debate somewhere else, anywhere else - because if we do it here we might learn that we're all different and believe in different things - and we obviously can't cope with that.

joffa_the_man_in_gold 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:30 pm

The good thing about the vietnam was the ever holier than thou UNITED STATES OF AMERICA got its ass kicked

The sad thing was the horrific loss of australian life.

100,000 GOLD WIGS and a million shining eyes
This our country's one true game
And the footy ground's on fire
And collingwood's sons and daughter's, under wide Australian skies
Win or lose we're back again to claim the winner's prize.....

Go Pies you bloody beauties !! 'Caaarm Ornnn' kill the Bloody Bastards.

email..joffa@magpies.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: