Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coalition Policy still Pro Nuclear ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^Nice post, Bruno.

Then there are various economic arguments. Three which come to mind are: (a) the argument that nuclear is actually extremely expensive when the accounting is done correctly (my tip is Tannin will know the details of that); (b) nuclear is a minimally-competitive technology prone to control by megalithic multinationals, while green energy is highly-competitive and decentralised, with all of the downward inflationary forces and social good such high competition entails; and (c) the move to nuclear will simply delay the scale needed for the inevitable move to green technology.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks for the compliment, PTID. Smile Details? No, but at least a rough overview.

According to pro-nuclear people, nuclear power costs about twice as much as much as fossil fuel thermal power. According to anti-nuclear people, nuclear power costs about three times as much as much as fossil fuel thermal power. There are also people who attempt to claim that it is in fact cost-competitive, but they can only do that by ignoring the capital costs (which are, of course, incredibly high).

So, twice the cost or three times the cost, take your pick.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 pm

GE loves nuclear power.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 am

All the Liberals need to do is name where they want to put the Power Stations. They won't as the ramifications at the polling booth would be massive. They will push it through when they obtain control of both houses of parliament and dump them in Labour electorates.
London Dave Aquarius

Jete jedna pivo prosm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:16 am

Culprit wrote:
All the Liberals need to do is name where they want to put the Power Stations. They won't as the ramifications at the polling booth would be massive. They will push it through when they obtain control of both houses of parliament and dump them in Labour electorates.

So are you suggesting the way to ensure no nuclear power stations are built in Oz is for everyone to vote for the coalition?
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:37 am

Hi LD, actually I am suggesting "if" the Liberals obtain control of both houses Australia will have Nuclear Power Stations.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:29 am

stui magpie wrote:
Nuclear is the cleanest and best option, except when something goes wrong.

I'd be happy to look at some nuclear plants in Australia, provided they were located hundreds of km from any civilisation.

Canberra?

annewilo 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:47 am

There goes my Palidan -$3.74

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction to anything nuclear now that we have an old power station hit by level 9 earthquake and after shock tsunami.

When all the dust settles I think Japan could lead the way in renewable energy sources. Maybe this is the wake up call we have needed for something to be done with the highest radiation source we have, being the sun, to produce the fuel and energy we need to sustain a heavily reliant society on coal and nuclear solutions.

Throughout Europe they have also turned to nuclear power as there is and will be a huge demand on coal resources that are sure to run out in 75 years.

And those against nuclear, what is your alternative? You poo hoo a carbon tax, you say desal is too expensive but where are the suggestions and advances. We sit here and wait for future generations to resolve a problem that we in the main have caused.

And don't go the Gillard or Abbott route here. This has to be bi-partisan if we are to fix it and make it non political. It's a global issue that starts at home for me.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:40 pm

Agree, Anne. It's quite stupid, really - the relevance of this event to, say, a nuclear power station in St Albans is pretty small. It does, however, provide a graphic reminder that, with nuclear, any accident has the potential to be a truly massive one with anything up to millions of deaths. There is nothing new in that - we have all known exactly that for decades. The only difference is that we have been reminded of it.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Culprit wrote:

And are they going to be handing out ice skates too? They will need them, because the day they get control of both houses will be the same day that Hell freezes over.

Howard only managed it, against the run of play, because of some particularly stupid preference dealing by the ALP which put Stephen Nobrainsatall Fielding in for his one and only term. Not even the ALP could be that stupid again.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Ah Tannin I did Clarify "If", you only read what you want too. Very Happy
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:43 pm

annewilo wrote:

There seems to be a knee jerk reaction to anything nuclear now that we have an old power station hit by level 9 earthquake and after shock tsunami.

When all the dust settles I think Japan could lead the way in renewable energy sources. Maybe this is the wake up call we have needed for something to be done with the highest radiation source we have, being the sun, to produce the fuel and energy we need to sustain a heavily reliant society on coal and nuclear solutions.

Throughout Europe they have also turned to nuclear power as there is and will be a huge demand on coal resources that are sure to run out in 75 years.

And those against nuclear, what is your alternative? You poo hoo a carbon tax, you say desal is too expensive but where are the suggestions and advances. We sit here and wait for future generations to resolve a problem that we in the main have caused.

And don't go the Gillard or Abbott route here. This has to be bi-partisan if we are to fix it and make it non political. It's a global issue that starts at home for me.
Because Europe has Nuclear power stations is the reason we should have them too.

22 Million people means it's not cost affective. I can see it now the Nuclear Smart Meter Tax?

http://nuclearinfo.net/Nuclearpower/WebHomeCostOfNuclearPower

Quote:
In the USA are expected to cost over $3500 per KW of capacity
Now that could be extreme so lets halve the cost and make it $1750 per KW then have a look at your electricty bill.

It's the same as pushing the world game here the population is to small. GE do not believe in charity they want profit.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Culprit wrote:
annewilo wrote:

Because Europe has Nuclear power stations is the reason we should have them too.

22 Million people means it's not cost affective. I can see it now the Nuclear Smart Meter Tax?

http://nuclearinfo.net/Nuclearpower/WebHomeCostOfNuclearPower

Quote:
In the USA are expected to cost over $3500 per KW of capacity
Now that could be extreme so lets halve the cost and make it $1750 per KW then have a look at your electricty bill.

It's the same as pushing the world game here the population is to smal
l. GE do not believe in charity they want profit.

Culprit are you this selective with your wife in conversation? Gosh. Are they pumping out different air over there in the eastern suburbs? Did you actually read my post before going off on one of your rants? I didn'tt say just because they do it in Europe means they should do it here. I said it's a global issue and I get sick of hearing people criticise it as energy source without coming up with an alternative. And I also said, the Japanese, implying with all their knowledge in electronics, might use this event to be the catalyst to develop something else.

Maybe it's because I am a girlie though and couldn't possibly have a rational thought about a big boys topic as this??? So shoot first and then read her post.

What will be your alternate fuel if you think neuclear power is not a valid alternative?

Smile Smile

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 pm

We can't have an alternative fuel sources whilst we have private companies running and owning essential services. A Nuke Power Station owned by another Private company is not about supplying a cost effective service it's about making money.

Nuclear is a global issue? Yes, just like Soccer is the world game.

I am with Mrs Right; I just never knew her middle name was Always.
annewilo 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:21 pm

Culprit wrote:
We can't have an alternative fuel sources whilst we have private companies running and owning essential services. A Nuke Power Station owned by another Private company is not about supplying a cost effective service it's about making money.

Nuclear is a global issue? Yes, just like Soccer is the world game.

I am with Mrs Right; I just never knew her middle name was Always.

Oh dear. I am going to have to spell it out now.

The whole energy crisis that we have created in this world is a global issue!

And I am glad to hear that you finally learnt your wifes middle name!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: