Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PIES V ESS 1990 fosters cup international london match

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

King Monkey wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:
BUCKS THE GREATEST wrote:
I think someone smashed Dermie too....
Anyone remember who ?

It was Craig Kelly

Yeah, it was Ned. I mean, who else would it be? God bless him.

Yeah...... who else !!!! LOL

That must have been his first game in our colours after coming across from SA.......

Correct. Cement heads first game for the black and white and gave us a great glimpse of the future!
Still have the copy of In B&W with Daics holding up the "World Champions" trophy!

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Robbo.D.yobbo wrote:
Would LOVE to be able to see this match! If there is anyway someone can get it online and available for downloading, it would be greatly appreciated.

Robbo, mate - good news and bad news...
Good news - i have both games on videotape. Smile
Bad news - the videotapes are Betamax and my Beta machine is kaput. Crying or Very sad

And Craig Kelly's first kick vs Hawthorn in Canada was a shocking grubber. But he was dishing it out to Dermie all right...
Teams were playing on grid iron astroturf, and were wearing Grass-cats.

Dyso
ash v1.0 

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:34 am

One of the best reads is a book by Daicos: "Collingwood and Me" with Jake Niall. He only writes about a page and a half on this game but its a ripper read if you ever get the chance.

Some of the key points on the game.

Landed in London at 7.00 am on the Wednesday after the GF. Then sight seeing till the first pub opened at 11.30am.

Drank at the pub across the road from the Hippodrome with Chrisso, Millane, Monkey, Wright, Crosisca and Turner till 8pm.

Back to the hotel room for a shower and out drinking again until early again the next morning - again no sleep. Some of the guys ended up back at my room as they would not leave. I did not fall asleep till 7am.

First training session was at 8am. Jamie Turner does half a lap and calls it quits.

Daics in his newspaper column before the game tells people back home to back Essendon with everything they had.

Daics then goes on to write "You can imagine, then, my horror when Ronny Rickhards and Lee Adamson decide to play me in the centre".

He goes on "But everyone put their heads down, with the younger players such as Brendan Tranter, Athos Hrysoulakis and Colin Alexander putting in. Chrisso and Starc dominating up forward, and we pulled through. That win, not our first flag in 32 years, must have been the greatest miracle of 1990"

Cracking read. Pitty I can't ever remember the game myself.

Cheers
Robbo.D.yobbo 

The Toovinator

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 pm

piedys wrote:
Robbo.D.yobbo wrote:
Would LOVE to be able to see this match! If there is anyway someone can get it online and available for downloading, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bad news - the videotapes are Betamax and my Beta machine is kaput. Crying or Very sad

And Craig Kelly's first kick vs Hawthorn in Canada was a shocking grubber. But he was dishing it out to Dermie all right...

Dyso
Darn it! Oh well, I'll just have to read the drunken antics of the players to fill the void Laughing
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Is the London game on a torrent site? And if so can someone PM me please? Smile
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 5:41 pm

piedys wrote:
Robbo.D.yobbo wrote:

Dyso

Someone actually had Betamax??? Shocked
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 pm

luvdids wrote:
piedys wrote:
Robbo.D.yobbo wrote:

Dyso

Someone actually had Betamax??? Shocked

Yes didsy, some of us dinosaurs had this stone-age technology, which was actually much superior to VHS, but that is an arguement for another day.
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:24 am

Ah yes good old betamax.

In pre Name A Game days, in 1988, i arranged for a a friend to record the Collingwood v Carlton game while i was working at a holiday camp.

Unfortunately his son chose that very day to come into the world so of course footy tapes were forgotten in the rush.

so when i got to my relatives place it was:
"You should have seen it. Best game ever. Magpies just got over the line at the last!"

So I had a couple of days in Canberra so I rang the president of the ACT collingwood supporters to try and borrow a tape to watch it. yes he says, I have a tape, but it's Beta.

In desperation, I borrowed the tape, took it to a video shop, paid heaps to get it converted, took the original back to it's owner and went back to Sydney with my treasure. Put it on - no sound! The best game ever and no commentary and no atmosphere. So I put some music on and watched the game. Wasn't half bad.

So folks, if you have a game pre 1991, lend a copy to Dave and his friends so such treasures will not be lost. That tape is long gone, but the memory of all that stuffing around remains.
Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:16 pm

A mate of mine threatened to stick a pencil in his Dad's Beta VCR when he was younger, He hated it. He could never swap video tapes with his mates cos we all had VHS machines. Laughing I'm sure he got over it. Weren't Beta machines slightly better quality in picture?

I'd love to see this game again, I remember watching it back in 1990 just hoping that we'd win............and we did.

ohnobeta.jpg

OH NO, Beta!

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 2:39 pm

The old days of Beta vs VHS . Video shops used to be like East and West Berlin. Beta was better quality, the tape was more expensive.

www.facebook/the hybernators
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:41 pm
Post subject: Ah yes good old betamax.Reply with quote

regan is true fullback wrote:
Ah yes good old betamax.

In pre Name A Game days, in 1988, i arranged for a a friend to record the Collingwood v Carlton game while i was working at a holiday camp.

Unfortunately his son chose that very day to come into the world so of course footy tapes were forgotten in the rush.

so when i got to my relatives place it was:
"You should have seen it. Best game ever. Magpies just got over the line at the last!"

Regs, if it was the game 02/07/1988, then a few of us here have that on VHS. Drew Morphett was stoked doing the commentary!
Back then, HSV7 mainly showed 3/4 of highlites, then most of the final term, excluding a few behinds scored.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/games/1988/030419880702.html

There are retro threads on this match somewhere in GD.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=524445&highlight=starcevich#524445

I'll eventually get pinnacle working again, and transfer this VHS to .mpeg.

Dyso
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:45 pm

Didaksgoal wrote:
A mate of mine threatened to stick a pencil in his Dad's Beta VCR when he was younger, He hated it. He could never swap video tapes with his mates cos we all had VHS machines. Laughing

Oh, believe me, i knew that world of pain...

Didaksgoal wrote:
I'm sure he got over it.

Nope. Still bear the scars.

Didaksgoal wrote:
Weren't Beta machines slightly better quality in picture?

Yes. But your pleas were scoffed at and mocked by the majority.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:35 am

Someone has put up a 1:57 video of the London match on youtube

VFL Aussie rules flashbacks : 1990 Essendon v Collingwood in London
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhHn_CNiRM4

Techno12 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:31 am

King Monkey wrote:
I remember this match happening, but don't remember anything from it.....

The one I remember was after the 1988 season vs Hawthorn in Canada.
It was played on a rectangular American/Canadian Football field !!! LOL Laughing
There was a commentator en the PR system while the match was going, so the crowd could follow what was happening. Laughing

They were thinking of bringing in a rule - which was used in this match - that you couldn't handball from a free kick, you could only kick it. !!! LOL Laughing(imagine if that rule had have got up !!!!)
Shane Morwood got pinged for it, & resulted in a ball-up, similar to if someone steps on the line whilst kicking out from a behind.

I think someone smashed Dermie too....
Anyone remember who ????

I was 7 years old in 1988. Not sure if it was 1988, but I recall seeing Collingwood V Geelong exhibition match being played in an indoor stadium. At the time I believed the match was played at the SkyDome now Rogers Centre in Toronto.

Anyway, through wiki I found the following:

8/10/1988 Miami, USA Joe Robbie Stadium VFL post season exhibition Collingwood v Geelong 7,500 attendance

16/10/1988 Toronto, Canada Varsity Stadium (outdoor stadium) VFL post season exhibition Collingwood v Hawthorn 18,500 attendance

Turns out my memory is not so good.
malteaser 

Stanley Kubrick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:22 pm

I remember it very well, I was there. On the wing about 5 rows back mayb more fwd flank. Ran on the field after the match caught up with Richo and Daics and spent a good few hours with the boys. went with friends of mine still to this day not sure where they went, either do they. the match made up for me missing the GF. didn't get to see the actual replay until the week after, so I had no idea of how the match went and the fight. Was the greatest day of my life, really that was my GF cause I had to wait another bloody 20 years to see a flag. I am sure I have photos somewhere, might look for them and upload them. Considering I went to the 79, 80, and 81 GF and then we lost 02 and 03, I really started to believe that I would have to wait until I was in a wheel chair and on oxygen. But at least 1990 at the Oval was fantastic, oh yeah when I did get to see the replay, the video tape ran out and I never got to see Tony lift the cup until I returned home 5 years later. Thank god for 2010
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: