Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gay Marraige

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Gay People be Allowed to Marry
Yes
71%
 71%  [ 20 ]
No
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 28

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingswood wrote:
while i dont understand WHY gays want, nay, need to get married... i dont see any reason to not recognise their right to it.

but the whole argument to me sounds like "they have it why cant we have it too". if two gay individuals love each other how is the states recognition (i'm not getting into tax and other benefits etc) and a piece of paper affect that?

marriage is an antiquated concept anyways and should be rid of

wheres tanning when you need him Sad

It's all about perception, I feel. Same-sex relationships are still not perceived as valid or equal by many members of society; indeed, that's why opposition to the concept persists. "They can have their little 'relationships', but don't tell me that a gay couple can really love each other or start a family." Hence civil unions, etc.: it has to have a different name, lest it be confused for the real thing. What same-sex marriage says is that, no, same-sex couples are every bit as real and valid as heterosexual couples, and should be granted the same standing under law.

Civil partnerships are essentially discriminatory in nature. "Hey, we're letting you ride on the bus, you just have to sit at the back." Or, for that matter, in a separate carriage altogether. There are many such counterpoints in the African-American civil rights movement of the '50s and '60s.

Whatever your views on marriage, it is the status quo; and people who want to enter into that institution, couples like anybody else, are being denied on the basis of 'tradition'. What people forget is that marriage has changed significantly over time in nature and purpose. The modern paradigm of marrying the person you love (and chose for yourself) is quite recent, really.

Tradition is a fallacy in this context, but people hide behind it because there is a serious lack of quality argument on that side of the argument. A significant proportion of people who oppose same-sex marriage already believe that homosexuality is immoral or unnatural, which is why the anti-same-sex marriage movement struggle to articulate their views on it. The Australian Christian Lobby are preaching to the choir, basically, and the ALP and other (ostensibly non-religious) traditionalists come off looking seriously disingenuous.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I may change my thinking. If Gay marraige comes in I am going to be broke buying a shit load of wedding presents.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Culprit wrote:
I may change my thinking. If Gay marraige comes in I am going to be broke buying a shit load of wedding presents.

I might have to as well if my cousin goes through marriages like he does relationships. Embarassed

But I am all for gay people getting married if they want to wed, marriage should be for those that love each other enough to make that commitment to each other.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
boofa 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Many years ago an older workmate asked me if i was married, When i replied that i was not and why should i have to be , his answer was , and i will quote it in full.....

" So you can be miserable like the rest of us" !!!!!!!!

Fairly good advice if you ask me.......

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:25 pm

Interesting deduction. Thanks, boofa, for your kind criticism.
boofa 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:34 pm

Not a criticism,just an observation.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:43 pm

Don't care either way.

If they want to marry, then great. If not, then so be it.

I guess that's a yes?

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Brenny wrote:
Don't care either way.

If they want to marry, then great. If not, then so be it.

I guess that's a yes?

I dare say so, I feel the same way.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:29 pm

Who are the 5 posters who have voted no?
#SIDEBYSIDE
Big T 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Jack Spain 5 times.
Brenny 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:19 am

mandy wrote:
Who are the 5 posters who have voted no?

1 was me initially, because I thought in the eyes of the catholic church, marriage is the unity between a man and a woman. The church wont change and people need to accept that.

Then I realised I don't believe in the church and to me it's a farce that's nothing more than a billion dollar industry profiting on the beliefs of billions.

So I went off my initial assumption and clicked no.

Then after I thought; people get married all the time outside of the church and use a civil celebrant, who can either be man or woman, married or unmarried, gay or straight.

I thought ok, the church isn't going to let them marry, fine. The marriages act or what ever states that marriage is between a man and a woman. I thought this would have been fine back in the early 1900's or the 1800's, but it's now 2011 and why the hell shouldn't gay people marry?

Just because they are same sex doesn't mean their values are any different to mine and yours. They can love exactly the same us, have jobs the same as us and play sports the same as us.

Bloody oath let them marry if they want to.

I don't have any gay friends (male or female) and my initial view was biased, unjust and very irrational.

Upon reflection I realised how wrong I was (in my opinion) and changed my views.

As I said above, I don't care either way. If they want to marry fine, let them. They are no different to anybody. If not, then fine too.

This is a topic I can honestly say I've never thought about or really cared about. This thread is the first time I've really sat back and taken it on board. I can understand how my original views are pretty terrible. I like to think of myself as an open person and if arguments or points are given to me and make sense, then I am open to changing my opinion... which I clearly did in this case.

Last edited by Brenny on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:21 am

People change and the Church needs to accept that!
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:23 pm

I am not fussed either way, but I do wonder what is gained by gay marriage given that same-sex couples now have the same rights and legal status as a male/female couple.

Same-sex couples have the same criteria to be legally recognised as a DeFacto couple, and same-sex couples can register their relationship to obtain something akin to a wedding certificate and to be legally recognised as each others 'spouse'.

Is this just about having a church ceremony?

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:27 pm

It has nothing to do with church ceremonies. How many couples even get married in churches nowadays? It's about legal and societal recognition.
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:44 pm

Jolly Good wrote:
Is this just about having a church ceremony?

Not just church, but any other means of legal ceremony they want.

I have no desire to get married. It's not my thing. But I don't judge anyone else who chooses to participate. Whatever their sexual orientation.

The thing that baffles me most in this debate, the thing I most don't understand about those that oppose it, is WHY DO YOU CARE???? It has absolutely no impact on your life personally, it's not hurting anyone, it's not illegal.

People should just mind their own business and live and let live.

ps. Only that first sentence was directed at you JG.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: