Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great percentage MYTH!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
Duff Soviet Union wrote:

Spot on. The best example of this would be 1992. That was the year we finished equal first on points but a distant third on the ladder, due to a % which was actually worse than anyone in the top six. People say that year we had bad luck facing a team that "had our number" in St Kilda. Wrong. That year we won an inordinate and unsustainable number of close games because we weren't good enough to actually smash anyone. And sure enough, in the first final we lost a very close game of the sort we'd won all year (proving that you can't win every close game you're in and that a lot of close games basically come down to luck) to a team with less wins but a better point differential. That year was not a missed opportunity because we never had a snowballs chance in hell of winning the whole thing.

So ultimately, in the end winning games is much more important than percentage, but percentage is often a better indicator of how good a team actually is.

You use the most bizzare example Confused

1992, top 6 = 1 v 2 in a QF, the other 2 finals are EFs.

You say we didn't have a snowflakes chance in hell of winning the flag that year yet, in round 10 we beat Geelong, round 13 we beat WCE at Subi and round 14 we beat the Dogs (the other 3 teams in the top 4)

Maybe you weren't born in '92 Question

Why is that the most bizarre example? We finished equal first on points. If we had a better percentage, we would have finished first on the ladder(or at least second) and got a double chance. Instead, our inablity to dominate teams made us play an elimination final, where we lost to a team that had a better percentage than we did. The point Tannin was making and that I agree with was that percentage is often a better indicator of team quality than wins and losses, and that our inablity to prove we were much better than bad teams that year (we beat them close when actual Premiership caliber teams would have smashed them) was a pretty good sign that we weren't actually a great team that year.

And yes, I'm aware we beat good teams that year. The West Coast win is just about my favourite win ever (regular season anyway). Doesn't change my opinion one bit. We weren't Premiership material that season.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:01 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing 4 weeks before the finals.... Collingwood beat both the teams that played off in the GF, including the eventual premiers, on their home ground and somehow (I don't think I will ever be able to work out how) you come to the conclusion that we weren't in the mix?
Did you cosider the draw, the teams with better % may have had 2 games against easy beats instead of our 1.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:14 pm

First of all, it wasn't "4 weeks". We beat Geelong in Round 10 and West Coast in round 13. So it was more like "11 to 14weeks" (season was 24 rounds that year). And no, I didn't consider the draw. And now that I look at it, that strengthens my case further. We only played one top 6 team twice (Hawthorn) and they finished fifth. We had a piss easy draw.
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Well ATM we are equal 4th on points, but 7th because of %.

Now I am not saying that in the end it makes a difference. If we keep winning games then points will make all the difference.

% Does not make a difference concerning a Top 4 finish as proven in 2002 & 2003.

However can make or break a top 8. But the trick is to win enough games to not have % factor in where a team finishes.

Go back over the seasons and have a look at how well teams faired in Finals by slipping into the 8 by %???

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Duff Soviet Union wrote:

That year was not a missed opportunity because we never had a snowballs chance in hell of winning the whole thing.

So ultimately, in the end winning games is much more important than percentage, but percentage is often a better indicator of how good a team actually is.

This is the bit I don't get.... "not a snowballs chance in hell"

WC only played 2 of the top 6 twice in '92 Dogs & Saints.

We had 5 close wins, Ess 9 pts, NM 6 pts, Crows 5 pts + 4 pts, WC 1 pt.

Our biggest losses of the year were Carl 33 points, Hawks 24 pts + 13 pts & 3 by under 10 to Melb, Fitz & SK

A better % (which is what this topic is about) and '92 could have been so much different.

Beast 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:34 pm

As long as we keep on winning the percentage will look after itself.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 pm

It is possible that at some point in the season percentage could be of the utmost importance. It's irrelevant right now.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Percentage will most likely be very important by season's end. If we can start winning comfortably, we should see our percentage gradually improve. However, it's obviously much more important to first get the wins on the board.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:04 pm

What about the great percentage Mammoth ?? Where does it live??

www.facebook/the hybernators
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:06 pm

great percentage Mammoth? Where does it live?
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Beast wrote:
As long as we keep on winning the percentage will look after itself.

I wish it did, but read the previous posts. '92, sure, we kept on winning, 8 out of our last 10. We finished on 16 - 6, same as WB & G, half a game clear of 4th.

Our % determined that we finished, not first, not second (Double chance gone) but third.

If % 'looked after itself' Question

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Percentage, like wins, can separate teams on the ladder. This is not a myth! Wink There are times where a loss does not change your position on the ladder, this does not mean wins are inconsequential, and neither is percentage.

But, what I guess the OP is getting at, is that you don't play for percentage, you play for wins. You aim to play well, if you do play well you might win by a big margin and increase your percentage. That's it. We could even say the same about wins I guess, but it's even moreso for percentage.

We've started slowly this season and play less crap teams than any other club, this means it's unlikely we'll end up with the highest percentage in the comp. It also means we might end up on the same number of wins as teams that are not as good as we are. In that case having a higher percentage could be useful, especially if it means the difference between 4th and 5th. So yeah, a higher percentage is better than a lower one, but it's not something we play for or set an aim in.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:35 pm

hmmm... this reminds me of something... Premier League this year was decided on "goal difference", just another name for percentage
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:13 pm

I'm actually a numbers person, no seriously, but putting it really simply, of course % makes a fricken difference why would it be considered at all otherwise.

Yeah I know you win 22 games and you finish on top even if your % is 100.1, but it potentially can be a big factor when all's said and done.

Actually who can forget the last game of 2009 when the doggies had to beat us by 20 odd points to get above us and play the cats in the first week, thinking that they were ripe for the picking. So funny how happy their supporters were at the end of the game thinking they were all set.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:09 am

the ru is on fire wrote:
hmmm... this reminds me of something... Premier League this year was decided on "goal difference", just another name for percentage

Yessiree, and being a Man City supporter since 1978 (that's a long time in footy) .

Of course percentage matters it's self evident. Of course winning matters but that will not necessarily take care of everything else (will take care of a hell of a lot of other things though).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: