Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Here we go again! Another day, another drug story...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:49 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good read by Melissa Leaver on the subject of the Herald Sun article.
Quote:
he Herald Sun has proudly hit the midnight online presses and is no doubt rushing around preparing a front page declaring the drug culture at Collingwood is exposed. More troublesome than prevalent drug use in the AFL, however, is the breach of confidentiality by someone involved in the entire sordid affair.

It is reported that at least four Collingwood players voluntarily self-reported recreational drug use near the end of the 2012 AFL season and in doing so, escaped the sanction of a first strike and possible repercussions of their breach of the rules. It is also reported that players from other clubs have been taking advantage of the loophole of self-reporting illicit substance use.

Andrew Demetriou has expressed a desire that the loophole, which allows players to self-disclose and escape sanctions and strikes against their names, should be closed. While drug use is a problem throughout society in general as well as the AFL, what is more concerning is the leak of confidential medical information to a media source.

This is not the first instance of people betraying the trust of an organisation by speaking to a media contact. In more recent times, there was the story broken about the gentlemans agreement in Kurt Tippetts contract and the alleged salary cap breaches by Adelaide, then there was the revelation of Melbournes vault meetings during the AFLs tanking investigation.

Journalists have multiple sources from which they get their information before they publish an article, particularly one which walks a fine line of slandering peoples names without sufficient proof. This exposes the fact that Mark Robinson, in making the decision to name Collingwood and the number of players, has been privy to confidential medical information.

http://boundforglorynews.com/player-confidentiality-beaten-down-as-drug-use-comes-to-light/

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:50 am

^ Good article.

Now we are expecting an avalanche of drug stories, Dane Swan's influence, Kevin Barlett frothing at the mouth..... it's stressin' me out.

Anyone got a joint?

Brenny 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:04 am

I'm subjecting myself to Neil Mitchell...

Why, I don't know, I think I prefer him over Kevin Bartlett. Actually, it's not think, I know I prefer Neil Mitchell.
slangman 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 am

Lets not kid ourselves, there are a lot of players in the AFL who do drugs.
Two AFL footballers (not from the same team) in one nightclub cubicle whilst another three are waiting outside for their turn....

It happens just like it does within the rest of society.
Unfortunately education doesn't seem to be working if you look at the facts. It's time to get tough and try and stamp out this blight on society with stronger penalties and less tolerance for people who continually break the law.

As for drug use being a health problem, please give me a break. A terminally ill child at the childrens hospital has a health problem. Drug users have an attitude problem.

Crackdown time!!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:39 am

slangman wrote:
Lets not kid ourselves, there are a lot of players in the AFL who do drugs.
Two AFL footballers (not from the same team) in one nightclub cubicle whilst another three are waiting outside for their turn....

It happens just like it does within the rest of society.
Unfortunately education doesn't seem to be working if you look at the facts. It's time to get tough and try and stamp out this blight on society with stronger penalties and less tolerance for people who continually break the law.

As for drug use being a health problem, please give me a break. A terminally ill child at the childrens hospital has a health problem. Drug users have an attitude problem.

Crackdown time!!!

Do "health" & "attitude" have to be mutually exclusive regarding drug use?

Drug issues generally are health problems, social problems & attitude problems.

What they shouldn't be are criminal problems.

Right now it's a media problem which is giving me the sh*ts.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 am

Really?

Who would of thought.

I'm shocked!

I don't care who they are, get rid of them!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:41 am

ANNODAM wrote:
Really?

Who would of thought.

I'm shocked!

I don't care who they are, get rid of them!

Will Hawthorn get rid of Franklin? I don't think so.

Just educate the boys, everyone deserves a 2nd & maybe a 3rd chance.
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:45 am

i reckon most teams do have players who are a drug users. I wonder which club is next . maybe the players who they say aint at the club no more.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:29 am

Ahhhh...... the Herald Hun and neil mitchell, two Magpie hating entities if ever there was, enuff said, thats all i needed to know, now i know its all crap and speculation ! Must be the Nab cup soon eh ?............big sigh.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:51 am

Neil Mitchell ? a melbourne supporting sook, disapointed to hear it was our lads but what can you do? Get rid of them ? Highly doubtful , not when they have made the disclosure themselves. Lets hope they seek the right channels and come out fitter and stronger and get through it.

www.facebook/the hybernators
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 am

Andrew Demetriou wrote:
Praising the self-reporting mechanism, Demetriou said it encouraged players to come forward if "they have made a mistake or have an issue".

"What it has uncovered is blokes who have got mental health issues or other issues and it allows them to get treatment," Demetriou said.

Exactly: a sensible and unusually reasonable system. So why go on to describe this as "a loophole that has to be closed"?

I've made my position on this issue clear enough in the past, but I will say that Leaver's article is excellent (although I obviously disagree with her penultimate paragraph).

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:47 pm

I say Majority of AFL players have Done Drugs.

Herald Sun are just Picking on Collingwood

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 pm

The leaking of medical information is a major concern
No doubt to medical authorities as well.
Doctor/patient confidentiality is supposed to be protected.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:05 pm

Quote:
Illicit narcotic use is on the rise throughout Australia The issue isnt restricted solely to AFL players and it is spread throughout society and particularly young men in their demographic.

The AFL needs to continue with further drug education and enforcement of penalties, and moving to a policy of naming and shaming is still not the answer to helping at risk young men who have limited recreational time, as well as extremely high levels of income.

This article is not disputing the importance of cracking down on drug culture and use, but rather highlighting the failure of the mainstream media to fairly and openly report the role of all AFL clubs that they are aware of being involved.

In the furore surrounding the Herald Suns recent expose on a drug culture at Collingwood, there is one line that is being overlooked in the resulting media frenzy surrounding the AFLs biggest franchise club.

It is not only Collingwood players who are reporting drug use to the AFL.

One solitary line admits that drug use is prevalent throughout the AFL, and that players from a number of other AFL clubs have been taking advantage of the loophole in the AFLs drug policing laws to self-report recreational use of illicit substances.

There are already pages and pages of print and online media dedicated to exposing the involvement of Collingwood players, yet not one single other AFL club has been named. The media are clearly aware of the names of these players, though they cannot publish them for legal reasons and clearly aware of the other AFL clubs that are involved.

http://boundforglorynews.com/pies-sell-papers/

Melissa's follow up article today.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Drugs are everywhere. I choose not to do them, but, unfortunately, am in the minority. Sports pros are young with too much money and too much spare time. Not unexpected that they'd dabble in a high in their off season. Personally, I don't really care.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: