Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The great big federal election 2013 thread.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 156, 157, 158  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The ALP needs to change its position on Gay marriage if it doesn't want to lose seats in inner Melbourne and inner Sydney to the Greens. However that has no impact on the main game between the ALP and the Coalition. Somehow the ALP needs to get the public to ignore the misinformation of the Murdoch press and recognise that under Labor Australia has avoided the economic disasters that befell the US and Europe (particularly Southern Europe) during the GFC. This is almost entirely due to Labor injecting money into the economy, which the Libs/Murdoch opposed while raising red herrings about pink bats and school halls.

An Abbott Government would destroy the economy with spending cuts and most of them would attack the services to the middle and working classes. You only need to look at Victoria and Queensland. Baillieu's cuts to TAFE threaten the economy and his cuts to hospitals attack those who can't afford private health cover. Meanwhile his government continues to lsupport its cronies. Newman's cuts in Queensland have been disasterous. People are now claiming that flood rescues were compromised by Newman's cuts.

Personally I am still planning to vote Green. I remain disgusted by Labor's asylum seeker policies (although Abbott would be worse) However I hope for a Labor victory or better still another Government that is in semi coalition with The Greens.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:12 am

CP wrote:
Anything less that a wipeout at the polls will be a huge surprise. Both leaders will have good, bad, awkward, embarrassing & triumphant moments from now until then.

And it all means nothing. The ALP's ills are terminal and Australians can't possibly be stupid enough to vote for the most corrupt party in the Western world.

You can spend 8 months discussing how clever and brilliant Jool-ya's tactics are, or you can use the time to reconcile with the likely result.

The NSW branch of the ALP is corrupt and has too much influence in the Federal party machine. However if you really think the ALP is the most corrupt party in the Western World then you need to get out more. And you should probably stop getting your news from the Murdoch press, which would not tell you about corruption in the US Republican party because they contributed to it.

CP 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:19 am

I should have known the federal election discussion thread was really the 'lets talk about what Labor/Greens need to do to stave off obliteration' thread.

Mods, just change the title for accuracy please.

Something like 'Federal Election: how do the ALP turn the tide?'
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:24 am

David wrote:
Good points Swoop, though I think the gay marriage bit is a little idealistic. The vast majority of the people who support same-sex marriage are already voting or preferencing the ALP over the Liberal Party anyway; I think they've long since worked out that they don't have many votes to win on that one. It'll be the right-wing working class vote from Western Sydney and elsewhere that'll be the real battleground again, so expect lots of talk about border security this time around.

I hope I'm not being too cynical. Sad

Nah, I think you're spot on. I don't think changing their stance on gay marriage would have any impact at the polls overall, maybe at most swing the difference between 1 or 2 inner city seats between Labor and Green but I really can't see that many people changing party over a single issue.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:04 am

I've already advised my local Candidate, who's campaign committee I'm part of, if it's a Collingwood game day..... I aint available. Normally there are only a few weeks of this, but this will be for the whole season!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:20 am

Tony Abbott as PM totally frightens me as he's not even the best person to lead the Liberal party let alone the country IMO.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:30 am

^ Pfft! He's not even the best person to lead his own family. Shocked
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:50 am

Education may be one area that gets a flogging.

Abbott's plan to remove the current cash bonus for parents of school age kids is getting a good run among his critics.

Now it's Labors turn

Quote:
THE federal government's scheme providing high school students with laptop computers is on the brink of collapse, leaving parents with hefty bills and educators with a chaotic start to the school year.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/parents-face-laptop-slug-as-funds-run-dry-20130202-2drqr.html#ixzz2JnBm4ITb

Quote:
Despite Prime Minister Julia Gillard's boast that under her government all senior secondary students could access a computer at school ''without their parents having to put their hand in their pocket'', the program has been dogged since its inception by complaints that the technology has been outdated almost as soon as it was delivered and schools were not provided with the necessary IT resources and infrastructure.

More fuel there for the Lib supporters to point to how Labor spends money inefficiently.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:11 am

the thread we had to have.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:

....and schools were not provided with the necessary IT resources and infrastructure.

In Vic Baillieu cut education as he did in health. IT support services were the fisrt things cut by baillieu - have a frined now unemployed after 9 years at the state education Dep't in IT.

I posted lasted year about the cuts by Bailieu to hospitals & mental health, appaling cuts hurting people - zero to do with The Federal Government.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:08 pm

watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

....and schools were not provided with the necessary IT resources and infrastructure.

In Vic Baillieu cut education as he did in health. IT support services were the fisrt things cut by baillieu - have a frined now unemployed after 9 years at the state education Dep't in IT.

I posted lasted year about the cuts by Bailieu to hospitals & mental health, appaling cuts hurting people - zero to do with The Federal Government.

Oi, that bit you bolded aren't my words, that's a quote from the article. Tell the journo to get his facts right rather than tell me about Red Ted, this is being touted as a Federal issue.

partypie 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:41 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Oi, that bit you bolded aren't my words, that's a quote from the article. Tell the journo to get his facts right rather than tell me about Red Ted, this is being touted as a Federal issue.

Perhaps the issue is that state governments are too pathetic to be trusted to run important services like education and health,with this being a case in point.
CP 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ Pfft! He's not even the best person to lead his own family. Shocked

Too 'normal' for you?

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/gillards-kicking-spectacular-own-goals/story-e6frezz0-1226567368667
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:00 pm

CP wrote:
I should have known the federal election discussion thread was really the 'lets talk about what Labor/Greens need to do to stave off obliteration' thread.

You are obviously a Liberal supporter CP so rather than just being negative about support for the ALP/Greens here - and I am being serious -tell me as a voter why should I vote Liberal?

What will they bring to the table?

What changes will I see if they become the government of this country?

Why should I vote for them?

Personalities of the respective leaders aside!

Last edited by Morrigu on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:01 pm

partypie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Perhaps the issue is that state governments are too pathetic to be trusted to run important services like education and health,with this being a case in point.

With the Chinese hackers invading the last thing we need is cutbacks to IT services. We need more white hats not less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 156, 157, 158  Next
Page 2 of 158   

Jump to: