Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Frees for, frees against

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taff wa 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mattys123"]Gieschen came out today and said that the Reid free kick against was correct and that you can't bump, push etc.

Here's the actual rule;

[quote]15.4.3 Permitted contact
Other than the Prohibited Contact identified under Law 15.4.5, a
Player may make contact with another Player:
(a) by using their hip, shoulder, chest, arms or open hands
provided that the football is no more than 5 metres away
from the Player;
(b) by pushing the other Player with an open hand in the
chest or side of the body provided that the football is no
more than 5 metres away from the Player;
(c) by executing a Correct Tackle;
(d) by executing a Shepherd provided that the football is no
more than 5 metres away from the Player; or
(e) if such contact is incidental to a marking contest and
the Player is legitimately Marking or attempting to Mark [/quote]

Umm, at no stage did that umpire say on Thursday that the ball was more than 5 metres away, so it can not be a free kick against Reid under the rules.

Sack the Giesch.[/quote]

On 360 tonight, mark bomber Thompson more or less said it was not a free against Reid. If gieschen doesn't know the rules how are the umpires supposed to.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 pm

woftam wrote:

But the ball was further than 5 meters away from Reid when he pushed Bellchambers. Ump may not have said that but the ball was more than double that away.

But that's part of the problem, that means both the umpire, and the umpires boss (Gieschen) are either too lazy to tell us and the players the proper reason a free kick is paid or simply don't know that reason.

The Reid free kick was wrong, it was a pushing contest between two players, something that is not covered in the rules by the way, and the stronger player won the contest (while one dived forward like he'd been doing all match).

Even Rodney Eade and Mark Thompson on AFL 360 admitted that it shouldn't have been a free kick, under any rule or interpretation.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:08 pm

It wasn't "double" 5 metres away - the ball doesn't travel that fast. It was 5 metres away, allowing Reid to push his opponent in the shoulder and take the mark in consecutive movements - it didn't take long enough for the ball to travel ten metres.

Anyway, move on. I'm looking forward to the Saints being evened up this week Razz

- Ben
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:11 pm

During the telecast, the umpire was clearly carrying on about Reid using two actions.... said nothing about the ball being too far away.
MattyD 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:20 pm

David wrote:
MattyD wrote:
I understand that it is the 'difference' that is important.

But if you look closer we have only been paid 88 free kicks which is a lot lower than most.

We also happen to have the least free kicks against of any club.

It's a conspiracy! Wink

It is a @#%@# conspiracy!

... isn't it? Laughing
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:54 pm

I don't care what the figures say, the umpires have been a disgrace this year, in particularly in the Hawthorn and Essendon match. I've already reiterated this twice in the last few weeks, but I feel like the umpires have different rules for Collingwood as opposed to everyone else. It's becoming ridiculous.

Don't be surprised to see us being screwed over again this Friday night, and considering St.Kilda's on the bottom of that list, they'll sure want to even that figure up.

I'm shocked that Jeff Gieschen believes the free kick against Reid was justified. It was the worst decision I've seen in a long time. Clearly he wasn't pushing him, and it was a matter of out-muscling him. That decision changed the whole context of the game Evil or Very Mad

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 pm

This is what happens, so listen up, as I have been going to the footy long enough to notice:

Generally, the umpires pick EVERY soft free they can find to penalise us (although many are technically correct to the letter of the law). But they do not do the same vs other teams (either ‘unsighted’, or a ‘miss’, etc.). Cases in point: I do not think I have seen any team penalised for ‘kicking in danger’ as much as we have been in recent years. Some are so soft they wouldn’t be paid in junior football. But technically, the umpire can ‘judge’ that we have transgressed to the letter of the law in ‘his mind’. It appears blatantly so that umpires are LOOKING to pay frees against us, whereas when it’s the other way around, umpires are prepared to ‘let it go’ for the flow of the game. It is the single cause of my game day frustration (apart from our woeful skills and goalkicking), and is simply unfair. Look at how many ‘strength’ contests we get penalised for (whether it be Cloke or Reid on the weekend). Watch other games and they let sh!t go. I’ve had it, which is why I’m boycotting this week’s game. Seriously, why can’t our club undertake an analysis of where frees are paid, and for what and provide the details. I GUARANTEE you that we would be bottom in nearly every category, and would have EASILY the least free kicks forward of centre and inside F50. I also guarantee you that we would have a lot of our free kicks paid when the game is done and dusted in the final quarter. Some of you may say conspiracy, I say not. I watch a SH!TLOAD of football games across the weekends, and even bemoan bad calls that we receive, so I’m pretty fair. Umpires, like the rest of the population, have a deep-seeded hatred for our club, and subconsciously they enjoy pulling the trigger on the softest of ‘technically’ correct calls against our club, particularly in front of our opposition’s goal. It’s a FACT, and I demand our club investigate on behalf of a paid-up member. If we continue to let this sh!t go, nothing will ever happen. FFS, Harry gets reported when it should have been his free, Reid gets screwed in front of goal at an important moment for something every other player anywhere else on the ground is allowed to do in every other game … when will the madness stop? Rant. Over.

Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:42 pm

The AFL backed the Reid decision as correct.

The Geish has no idea.
RatsaK Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 pm

UMPIRES boss Jeff Gieschen backed the Reid-Bellchambers call. "It wasn’t a push in the back, it was a push," he said. "The rule says you can’t push, bump, block or hold in a marking or ruck contest. Now in this case, Ben clearly pushes.

As Mr DTC just stated, so if this is the correct interpretation why does it not hold true for Travis Cloke? The opposition are all over him and he does not get a free.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:10 pm

"The rule says you can’t push, bump, block or hold in a marking or ruck contest. Now in this case, Ben clearly pushes."

And this, my firends, is why I am slowly turning away from the game I once loved and grew up with. This is no longer AFL ... it's just SH!T. So basically, you can't exert any physicality or smarts in the contest. Dunstall would've kicked 100 goals ... over his entire career. WHy are we letting these people ruin OUR game? When did this rule even get introduced? You can't push or bump in a marking contest anymore? WTF is going on??? Are we on planet bizarro???

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Unless you are 4 inches taller than your opponent there is very little you can do as a defender now days, its disgraceful.
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Great thoughts. In the same game the Dapper one TC got literally manhandled but no frees, no nothing.

In AFL, it is not the free kicks that are given that are the problem, it is when the same thing happens at the other end and there is no whistle at all, whatsoever.
Mr Dapper Travis Cloke 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Bucks agrees with the Giesh.

And on the free kick against Ben Reid to Essendon forward Tom Bellchambers, the Pies coach said: "I haven't got to Giesch (AFL umpires boss Jeff Gieschen) yet this week, But there's clearly two movements, so under the letter of the law, he's right.

This is a sure area where Bucks struggles as a coach. Mate, you don't go into a presser where there was a significantly dodgy free kick and agree with the umpires advisor.

This is a poor effort by Buckley.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm

I hate this "two movements" expression. It's split-second instiocntive sport FFS.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:49 pm

Mr Dapper Travis Cloke wrote:
Bucks agrees with the Giesh.

And on the free kick against Ben Reid to Essendon forward Tom Bellchambers, the Pies coach said: "I haven't got to Giesch (AFL umpires boss Jeff Gieschen) yet this week, But there's clearly two movements, so under the letter of the law, he's right.

This is a sure area where Bucks struggles as a coach. Mate, you don't go into a presser where there was a significantly dodgy free kick and agree with the umpires advisor.

This is a poor effort by Buckley.

Agree ... Bucks, STFU. Time to get nasty.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: