Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Alex Ferguson on Collingwood Board !?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themonk 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd prefer John Elliot on the board before Ferguson.

There's only 1 EPL club established in 1892.

YNWA
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:04 pm

COYI! Smile
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:21 pm

MOTR wrote:
roar wrote:
^^ Not unless they nab Mourinho. And even then, they will struggle to be as successful. 13 championships in 26 years! I don't think you guys realise how amazing that is. And that's without the many FA cups and European trophies.

His two European trophies provide a little more perspective, particularly given the uneven nature of the English premiership. Still an absolutely amazing career.

I actually think Moyles is a better fit, given Ferguson is still going to have a significant influence on the club. I think Ferguson will become something akin to what we wanted Malthouse to be.

I'm not so sure about Moyes, he doesn't have experience in the Champions League, and has never had the sought of Money the Manc Board can provide at his fingertips.

Man U will still be a powerhouse, but nothing compared to what they were under Ferguson
Troppo 

standing on VB tins in the outer at Vic Park

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:23 pm

themonk wrote:

I'd prefer John Elliot on the board before Ferguson.

Pig's Arse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

elliot2.jpg

elliot.jpg

2005-01-29-Elliott-bankrupt-450.jpg

2003-07-01-Elliott-has-to-pay-up-.5.jpg

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 am

Fergie wouldn't even know or care who the Collingwood Football Club is mate.

And what about Eddie banging on yesterday about Collingwood being the greatest sporting club in the world!

FFS we wouldn't even rate in the top 50. You have Man U, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus for starters, and then you have all the really great American clubs of various sports. Sorry Eddie but we are very small fry indeed.
MOTR 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:04 pm

King Malta wrote:
MOTR wrote:
roar wrote:
^^ Not unless they nab Mourinho. And even then, they will struggle to be as successful. 13 championships in 26 years! I don't think you guys realise how amazing that is. And that's without the many FA cups and European trophies.

His two European trophies provide a little more perspective, particularly given the uneven nature of the English premiership. Still an absolutely amazing career.

I actually think Moyles is a better fit, given Ferguson is still going to have a significant influence on the club. I think Ferguson will become something akin to what we wanted Malthouse to be.

I'm not so sure about Moyes, he doesn't have experience in the Champions League, and has never had the sought of Money the Manc Board can provide at his fingertips.

Man U will still be a powerhouse, but nothing compared to what they were under Ferguson

It would be remarkable if Moyes can manage MU with the same finesse as success as Ferguson. His move to take Baines with him is an interesting start.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 pm

jack_spain wrote:

And what about Eddie banging on yesterday about Collingwood being the greatest sporting club in the world!

FFS we wouldn't even rate in the top 50. You have Man U, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus for starters, and then you have all the really great American clubs of various sports. Sorry Eddie but we are very small fry indeed.

If Eddie didn't say that, you'd probably call on him to be sacked for that too.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Ferguson managed Aberdeen. They hadn't won the title for 40 years. With him they win it 3 times. They also win the UEFA Cup beating Real Madrid.
He then manages Man U. They hadn't won the title for 25 years. He then wins it 13 times.
Any nonsense that someone else could have done it, or done it better, is ridiculous. His record is 16 titles as a manager plus cups etc, European titles etc. Enough said.
Easily the greatest manager ever in British football.
Emphasis on easily. He is streets ahead.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:08 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
jack_spain wrote:

Methinks eddie possibly meant within Australia, and anywhere else aussie rules is played. I know he means how MU is run, administered, and dominate the round ball game, and wants us to do likewise here. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
jack_spain wrote:

Methinks eddie possibly meant within Australia, and anywhere else aussie rules is played. I know he means how MU is run, administered, and dominate the round ball game, and wants us to do likewise here. Idea

More than likely.

PS You sound like a club plant.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:21 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
jack_spain wrote:

More than likely.

PS You sound like a club plant.

yES Ronnie, I think I am mellowing in my golden years, this fresh mountain air uphere in Mt Ev has me in its warm embrace ! BTW, welcome back, we have some new posters on here who make me look positively saintly these days. . Razz Very Happy Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:50 am

sixpoints wrote:
Ferguson managed Aberdeen. They hadn't won the title for 40 years. With him they win it 3 times. They also win the UEFA Cup beating Real Madrid.
He then manages Man U. They hadn't won the title for 25 years. He then wins it 13 times.
Any nonsense that someone else could have done it, or done it better, is ridiculous. His record is 16 titles as a manager plus cups etc, European titles etc. Enough said.
Easily the greatest manager ever in British football.
Emphasis on easily. He is streets ahead.

Couldn't have said it better myself mate. The only sporting coach in history within a bull's roar of Fergie is old Jock McHale himself.

Fergie could be a mean bastard, but he was our bastard! Very Happy
regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:32 am

you should learn from successful clubs.

From Hawthorn - develop leadership groups - replace Scott and Matthews with Tuck and Langford

from Essendon - don't get on the wrong side of umpires, certainly don't show the ball to them, Mr Rocca and certainly don't bop them, Mr Bourke and Mr Carman (yes they blame us for it!)

from Manchester United - go after the best available, be it coaches players or recruiters.

from Geelong - develop a strong VFL team

from Sydney - if your player gets suspended before the grand Final - challenge it.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:14 pm

mattys123 wrote:
roar wrote:
He had less to work with than a few others and still managed to be way more succesful than the other big clubs. Not overrated, at all, imo.

Yes, he built that club back up again, that's his greatest achievement but he's really competing against 3-4 other teams as the rest have no chance each year of winning the title.

I'd rate a Bill Belechick or a Phil Jackson higher, someone who was in a salary cap restricted sport yet has still managed to win so many titles.

The NBA salaray cap is not all that restrictive. And Ferguson built his team much more than Phil Jackson ever did. Look at how many of the Man U players over his time have been home grown. Phil first had the best player of all time (MJ at the Bulls), and then bought the best centre of the era to accompany the best guard (Shaq and Kobe at the Lakers). Certainly a great coach, but as someone who built a culture and did not rely on buying players, I'd rate Popovich ahead of him (the Spurs are basically the Swans of the NBA).

The NBA has become a joke in recent years the way these "super" teams are put together. First it was Boston (Garnett, Pierce, Allen), now the Heat (LeBron, Bosh, Wade) - and well, the Lakers have tried with Howard and Kobe Very Happy. Oklahoma are pretty much the only top team that have built from the draft, not free agency (unless you want to count Fisher Wink).

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:21 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
roar wrote:
He had less to work with than a few others and still managed to be way more succesful than the other big clubs. Not overrated, at all, imo.

Yes, he built that club back up again, that's his greatest achievement but he's really competing against 3-4 other teams as the rest have no chance each year of winning the title.

I'd rate a Bill Belechick or a Phil Jackson higher, someone who was in a salary cap restricted sport yet has still managed to win so many titles.

The NBA salaray cap is not all that restrictive. And Ferguson built his team much more than Phil Jackson ever did. Look at how many of the Man U players over his time have been home grown. Phil first had the best player of all time (MJ at the Bulls), and then bought the best centre of the era to accompany the best guard (Shaq and Kobe at the Lakers). Certainly a great coach, but as someone who built a culture and did not rely on buying players, I'd rate Popovich ahead of him (the Spurs are basically the Swans of the NBA).

The NBA has become a joke in recent years the way these "super" teams are put together. First it was Boston (Garnett, Pierce, Allen), now the Heat (LeBron, Bosh, Wade) - and well, the Lakers have tried with Howard and Kobe Very Happy. Oklahoma are pretty much the only top team that have built from the draft, not free agency (unless you want to count Fisher Wink).

Correct. The limitations of basketball as a sport means that if you get three superstars together you can win a championship. Hell even Oklahoma Thunder are showing that with one superstar (Kevin Durant) you can win playoff games.

I rate NFL coaches better than NBA coaches because they have to handle a roster the size of a small city. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: