Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

GWS offer Buddy $9 million over 6 years - Damien Barrett

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Even with that money, I am guessing he will stay. However, if the Hawks win the premiership, a dual premiership player, especially with his capabilities, may legitimately feel like its pay day.

Good luck to him.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:47 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
You could ask Dawes about loyalty in footy working both ways.

The difference is that Dawes was essentially told that he was no longer required. It was in his professional interests to look elsewhere. If Franklin moves, on the other hand, it would be all about the money. I understand, say, Ron Todd doing that back in the day when life was genuinely hard for many footballers, but for someone who's already rolling in it, I just don't understand how that can be a good enough reason.

but Dawes was loyal to us, we were not loyal to him, that's my point, can you blame buddy?? he bust up his knee hes done, he set himself, and his family up for life when someone is willing to make that kind of a gamble.

who are we to judge? unless we judge the Pies for saying seeya later to Dawes.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:49 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:
IF someone offered me twice as much money to do the same job, I'd take it.

Even if I was on $200,000 a year I'd take it.

Yep, it's greed, and its pretty easy to understand too.

its not greed, not if you want that job, if someone is willing to pay why say no?

greed is the guy at the party sneeking everyones scotch, and only bringing a bottle of coke!!

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:49 pm

You're right, we certainly shouldn't judge him whatever decision he makes. I just wonder if he'd really be doing the right thing for himself if he leaves. Money isn't the only factor to take into consideration in life.

It's hard to say from here, but perhaps Ablett would be enjoying his football more if he was still at Geelong with his teammates. He'd certainly have one more premiership to his name!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:58 pm

David wrote:
You're right, we certainly shouldn't judge him whatever decision he makes. I just wonder if he'd really be doing the right thing for himself if he leaves. Money isn't the only factor to take into consideration in life.
It's hard to say from here, but perhaps Ablett would be enjoying his football more if he was still at Geelong with his teammates. He'd certainly have one more premiership to his name!

100% agree with the bolded

not for ablett though, he never enjoyed the limelight, he loves the anon cant spell it you know what I mean!! he gets up there, he can go surfing or anything and is left alone. im sure he would like that flag, but I don't think his life is all about footy.
I reckon he is happy with his decision.

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:44 pm

I can see where David is coming from. Don't kid yourselves, Buddy is already set up for life (financially) whether he chooses to leave or not. You can't compare with your average every day job, how many people get paid bucket loads to do what they love? Sure, people enjoy their jobs, I do but how many really love it and get rewarded very handsomely? Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if he took the offer, not to set himself up, just that it'd be hard to resist.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

David wrote:

At the rate GC are improving I wouldn't be surprised if they are playing finals in the next couple of years. If Ablett got a flag with them as their first captain, after doing the hard yards to get the club up to a competitive standard, I would imagine it would be his most satisfying achievement. From all reports he is loving the lifestyle up there vs the footy centric Vic lifestyle too.

There have also been reports that Buddy loves the Sydney lifestyle too, which may be a pull factor.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:50 pm

David wrote:
Sorry, it just sounds like greed to me.

So, let me get this straight. If a rival workplace offered you more money to do the same job, you would say no because it would be greedy of you to take up the offer?

The bloke is entitled to make the most he can. By playing football for 10-15 years he could potentially setup not only himself, but his family now and his future family.

Sure he is earning a bucket load, but this is a once in a life time opportunity. Just like GA taking the offer to go North.
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:15 pm

^ As hypotheticals go, it's not actually that far-fetched. I currently manage a small independent video store for absolute minimum wage — $589 a week after tax. Unlike Franklin, it's actually difficult for me to get by, but I love the job and care about this little shop greatly. If the Blockbuster franchise offered to take me on as manager for a much higher pay rate — and to make the hypothetical valid, let's say that my hard work is indispensable here and that the shop really depends on it — then yeah, I would feel a little disloyal walking for money.

Now, let's transpose that hypothetical to one in which I'm already being paid generously and live a comfortable lifestyle (with good retirement benefits). What motivation would I possibly have to leave apart from sheer greed?

We've got to look after ourselves at the end of the day, but life and work are about a lot more than just numbers in the bank account and, for that matter, material possessions. It's far more important to me to love my job and enjoy coming to work than it is having heaps of money. When you devote 40 hours of your waking week to one place, it's got to be at least tolerable.

taff wa 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Off the subject a bit but does anyone else think it a bit strange, Sydney get Tippett and now if gws get buddy the 2 nsw teams are getting too much of a fair go from the AFL.
Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:22 pm

But David, stop thinking about yourself for a sec, what if you had the opportunity to setup everyone in your family (including future generations) just by signing one contract?

Of course there is more to life than money. Personally, I took a 50 percent pay cut a few years ago to move into a different career and to move back closer to family and friends.
David Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:38 pm

This is getting a bit off-topic now, but I don't believe in inheritance. Once they've left home, I think my future children should work for a living. I think it'd be much kinder to them to do that than to just make life easy for them with bucketloads of cash. And while I concede that money can dictate, say, which school you can send your kids to, I'm dedicated to fighting against privileges like that.

Franklin has more than enough to raise a family now, and would continue to work to support them after he's retired from football. Isn't that enough?

Stupied 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:02 pm

David wrote:
This is getting a bit off-topic now, but I don't believe in inheritance. Once they've left home, I think my future children should work for a living. I think it'd be much kinder to them to do that than to just make life easy for them with bucketloads of cash. And while I concede that money can dictate, say, which school you can send your kids to, I'm dedicated to fighting against privileges like that.

Franklin has more than enough to raise a family now, and would continue to work to support them after he's retired from football. Isn't that enough?

It's easy to say these sort of things before you have kids David. My perspective has changed a lot since I had my first. Not sure why you are against parents wanting their children to get the best quality education possible. Having experienced both the public and private systems, I can vouch that the quality of the two systems are light years apart. It will cost my half my yearly salary to send my son to a private school, and if I can somehow pull it off, I will, because I want the best for my child.
Not sure where you're coming from with the inheritance angle either. Are you against inheritance or against trust funds? I will get an inheritance once my parents die, (hopefully not for a long time), but in the meantime they will enjoy their retirement with their hard earned, and when they do pass my financial burden will be eased.
Frohickey 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:11 pm

buzzlightyear wrote:
Even with that money, I am guessing he will stay. However, if the Hawks win the premiership, a dual premiership player, especially with his capabilities, may legitimately feel like its pay day.

Good luck to him.

Nah AFL will come in with promotional money if he knocks back 1.5

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Most importantly I hope his possible departure is a distraction for the Dorks... then I hope he goes and they are left deflated without him over the next few years.

However I think the Hawks have been pretty good to him over the years and he's not a great role model type so this might make him think twice about leaving... but I am not sure how much thought he puts into things?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: