Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Harry O

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:44 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

How very sad.

Hope like hell you get through this Harry. Really want you back in the team, as the great player you've been especially this year.

What a man.

Go Harry, Go Pies.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:45 am

He needs major Mental Health Help
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:47 am

Good on you Harry, for having the guts to open up. And to put the media in their place, telling them to speculate on important things, not a spat with the coach.

All the best, you're a great person, may you overcome those demons.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:48 am

luvdids wrote:
Good on you Harry, for having the guts to open up. And to put the media in their place, telling them to speculate on important things, not a spat with the coach.

All the best, you're a great person, may you overcome those demons.

Media Just Loves to Get Stuck into Collingwood and They will do anything to make it happen

TK Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:53 am

Depression is not something that is just brought on, it is a gradual suppression of feeling and yes it can be the smallest thing that tips the scales. Depression is fought in silence for many days, months and years. It has a stigma that is embarrassing to the sufferer - What is wrong with me? I must be mentally ill! If I ignore it, it may just go away!

It doesn't just go away and each depressive episode gets longer and more intense. It is the feeling of helplessness that compounds the lonely silent battle. The feeling that life will better for those around me - without me.

I feel for the man, many battles are conducted in the quiet little house down the street, Harry has a very public situation that makes it very volatile. He needs medical help and this will not be gone in weeks or so like a hamstring.

Again good luck my friend, We at Collingwood are by your side to walk with you, in front of you to lead you and behind you to pick you up when you fall.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 am

It takes balls to say it. It's really quite immature to use that as a nick name let alone sexist or is it casual homophobia Confused

More to the point however, isn't this year the year "we" are having a gay friendly round or some such thing? That should locate the context & the use of such a stupid nickname.

Yes boys will be boys but do boys always have to be stupid - especially in a group setting?

I can see how it is a joke etc & that there are bigger issues to fry but Harry obviously thought this reflected a real lack of awareness & sensitivity. He was right. Being right however & the manner in which one expresses this can be diabolical in a group setting.

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:56 am

I think the decision to halt discussions re Harry was frustrating for those who wanted to show support to Harry, Bux and the club, but was understandable given some of low-life comments that stank up the board... it seemed those who wanted to vent against Harry finally had their chance to get the boots in while he was down.

I hope those that vented have the strength of character to say they were wrong or at least learn from the experience!

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:01 am

TK wrote:
Again good luck my friend, We at Collingwood are by your side to walk with you, in front of you to lead you and behind you to pick you up when you fall.

Spot on. Beautiful. Brought a tear to my eye.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:06 am

I have a good friend who is a lesbian who thinks that Seedsmans new nickname is hilarious, and can't understand why anyone would think its sexist/homophobic. She was the one who linked that article to me.

I tend to agree. There are more worthy battles worth fighting than a nickname about a haircut. Not that this really has much to do with Harry's issues, it was just what set him off...
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 am

Stupied wrote:
Apparently the issue that made Harry fly off the handle was Seedsmans new nickname "Lez" (because of his haircut). He was offended by it and got told he was being a bit precious. Not a great reason to go berserk at the coach, but understandable if he has underlying personal issues. In cases like that, it can be pretty obscure stuff that can bring everything rushing up to the surface.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-players-harry-obrien-says-hes-the-victim-of-sexual-abuse-and-is-suffering-depression/story-fndv8g1a-1226675515179

Not really correct.

Buck's asked O'Brien if the nickname was OK with him and Haz was offended, feeling that he was being labelled as precious.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-players-harry-obrien-says-hes-the-victim-of-sexual-abuse-and-is-suffering-depression/story-fni5f6hd-1226675515179

Regardless of the details, Harry deserves everyone's support during this rough period, as he obviously has some horrible demons that he is battling. As you said, personal issues can be brought to the surface by some obscure stuff, and it seems this may have been the case here.

I just hope everyone who got into Harry over the last few days learns a little something here. We're all human, and we all experience periods of hardship and feelings of despair at some point in our lives, regardless of whether you work a standard 9-5 job, or whether you're a highly paid athlete.

What we need now is for everyone to get give him the support and love he deserves, whether inside the club or out. With his team-mates and the black & white army behind him, I'm sure he'll get through this.

I for one will be giving him a standing ovation next time he walks out on the field.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:13 am

Where are you all you so called Pies supporters who wanted him gone?

Spineless twits...

Side by side indeed...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 am

Harry has always been one of my favourite Pies and feeling his pain today.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 am

watt price tully wrote:
Stupied wrote:
Apparently the issue that made Harry fly off the handle was Seedsmans new nickname "Lez" (because of his haircut). He was offended by it and got told he was being a bit precious. Not a great reason to go berserk at the coach, but understandable if he has underlying personal issues. In cases like that, it can be pretty obscure stuff that can bring everything rushing up to the surface.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-players-harry-obrien-says-hes-the-victim-of-sexual-abuse-and-is-suffering-depression/story-fndv8g1a-1226675515179

It takes balls to say it. It's really quite immature to use that as a nick name let alone sexist or is it casual homophobia Confused

More to the point however, isn't this year the year "we" are having a gay friendly round or some such thing? That should locate the context & the use of such a stupid nickname.

Yes boys will be boys but do boys always have to be stupid - especially in a group setting?

I can see how it is a joke etc & that there are bigger issues to fry but Harry obviously thought this reflected a real lack of awareness & sensitivity. He was right. Being right however & the manner in which one expresses this can be diabolical in a group setting.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick here WPT. From everything I've read the issue is not the nickname... the issue was that after Seeds nickname "Lez" got mentioned in a team meeting, Bucks turned to Harry O and asked in jest "is that ok with you Harry". I believe he was trying to keep the meeting jovial. Unfortunately because Harry was on the edge he took serious offence and let fly at what he saw as a patronising question. He took it that Bucks was taking the piss out of how seriously he views issues such as racial vilification, gay marriage etc. I don't think that was Bucks' intention.

In fact Harry has shown a willingness previously to be able to laugh at himself. I'm guessing that's what Bucks thought would happen this time. Little did he know the internal turmoil that Harry was going through.

And then it all blew up - apparently!

As for "casual homophobia" ... phobia means fear or anxiety. I don't think that applies here. You could call it insensitive definitely.

MOTR 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:26 am

Many of us have had to fight depression at some point in our lives. Imagine having to fight it in the public spotlight. All the best Harry. You have not lost an ounce of respect from me.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:32 am

TK wrote:
Depression is not something that is just brought on, it is a gradual suppression of feeling and yes it can be the smallest thing that tips the scales. Depression is fought in silence for many days, months and years. It has a stigma that is embarrassing to the sufferer - What is wrong with me? I must be mentally ill! If I ignore it, it may just go away!

It doesn't just go away and each depressive episode gets longer and more intense. It is the feeling of helplessness that compounds the lonely silent battle. The feeling that life will better for those around me - without me.

I feel for the man, many battles are conducted in the quiet little house down the street, Harry has a very public situation that makes it very volatile. He needs medical help and this will not be gone in weeks or so like a hamstring.

Amazing how a subject that brought out some of the worst posting I've ever seen on Nick's is now inspiring some of the best. Thanks TK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14   

Jump to: