Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Thomas, recruit Martin

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Keep Daisy. Nothing else to say. The man isn't a gun, he's an effing intercontinental ballistic missile.

^ Subject to a proper medical opinion, I agree 100% with this. That's 100% or zero. If he can recover, do all that we can within reason to keep him.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:18 am

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
Martin is not worth 600K !!
Totally agree but pissingthe Tigers off is. Very Happy
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:27 am

David wrote:
I don't get it. People are willing to send one of our star players packing because he's had, what, one injury-riddled year? If he still has such market value, perhaps we should be asking ourselves whether it would be madness to trade him away.

Frankly, I just think people on here have goldfish memories. Haven't really seen him at 100% since last year, so he's toast. Shocked

This.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 am

What Daisy’s intentions? - We don't know.

Will he ever recover from his current injury? - Nobody knows

What I do know is that Daisy is a great bloke and a true team player and when fit and on song he has true X Factor and can turn a game convincing in our favour in a few minutes. (Love him or hate him, this was one of James Hird’s best attributes)

I hope Daisy fully recovers and I hope he stays a Pie.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:19 am

Daisy is a restricted free agent whereas martin isnt.
Also martin is 4 years younger roughly.
Tigers could trade away martin with someone else and pick up daisy through free agency.
Me thinks this aint happenin...

Brenny 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 am

I don't think we can trade Daisy unless he stays? If he hasn't signed then free agency can take him where he likes? Though if we match the offer then he has to stay, right? Then we can trade him?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:33 am

David wrote:
I don't get it. People are willing to send one of our star players packing because he's had, what, one injury-riddled year? If he still has such market value, perhaps we should be asking ourselves whether it would be madness to trade him away.

Frankly, I just think people on here have goldfish memories. Haven't really seen him at 100% since last year, so he's toast. Shocked

It's a fantasy football perspective David and everyone gets 30 trades per season or two per week.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:52 am

We would have to trade for Martin I think - unless you want to trade Ben Reid, Brody Grundy or Nathan Brown (which is what the Tigers would ask for) you're probably not going to get him. I'd trade our first round pick for him, and keep Daisy too. We'll have a lot of retirements in the next couple of years (Johnson gone already, Jolly and Didak and Lynch 2 years max, Swanny?) and we'll upgrade K Martin / Frost / Oxley and Dwyer for not much, so we'll probably have a cap space.

The other question is where you do play him - if he plays half forward (which is where we would need him), does he take Elliot's spot? Goldsack? can he chase / tackle / apply enough forward pressure?

I don't know the answer to that, but if the answer is yes, I'd trade our first pick for him, we can afford him on a back ended contract if we want to. And keep Daisy

- Ben
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 am

Tigers won't give him up for one tail end first round draft pick having used pick 3 to get him and showing himself to be the equal of anyone from that year's draft.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:06 am

Jees, I think we are seriously under valuing Dustin Martin if a first round pick is considered enough to bring him across.

I think we would have to give a lot more to bring him in. He is a game breaker and a beautiful long penetrating kick. Also can find his own footy in a pack.

At least first rounder + top 15 player would be required to get him.

No deal thanks.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:47 am

Martin isn't worth 600k and the Tigers know it, that's why they haven't agreed to it. Hell when they signed him on 450k they knew they were paying overs at the time.
I'd much rather work at keeping Daisy. God, they guy doesn't play for a while and everyone forgets how good he is...
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am

Stupied wrote:
Martin isn't worth 600k and the Tigers know it, that's why they haven't agreed to it. Hell when they signed him on 450k they knew they were paying overs at the time.
I'd much rather work at keeping Daisy. God, they guy doesn't play for a while and everyone forgets how good he is...

Spot on. Correct on all accounts.

For all serious Collingwood supporters, no need to read any further. Close thread.

For all you dreamteamers, trolls and dribblers wanting to trade away an A grade player, solid citizen and all round good guy carry on amongst yourselves but your just wasting bandwidth...
Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:03 am

This is one of the problems with the way the free agency crap has been set up.

Daisy can go if someone else wants him but we have the right to match any offer made.

So if Malthouse knows that Buckley considers Daisy a required player, he can offer more than Daisy is worth and force Collingwood to match that, thereby weakening the club's position as they look at other trades.

And the only options are to pay up or call the Blues' bluff, possibly weakening them but losing Daisy in the process.

Huge price to pay IMO. It was only 2 years ago that he was being touted as possibly the best player in the game.

Dustin Martin is a prodigiously talented player. I'd happily chase him in the trade period, but lets' find the cash letting go of Jolly, Krak, Dids, Maxwell, Russell, Clarke - not Daisy

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:44 am

Albert Parker wrote:
David wrote:

It's a fantasy football perspective David and everyone gets 30 trades per season or two per week.

Um, any chance you can point me in the direction of the 'trade Pendlebury' thread? I must have missed it.

drew1602 Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 am

Wasn't Greg Swan with us when we passed on securing another injured star Stevie Johnston ?...We know how that worked out.......He wont let that situation bite his arse again and let an injury to Daisy scare the Scum off from offering big $$$ to secure him.......Conversely we cant let one year of injuries to Daisy dilute his future worth to us on the field..We must offer him as much as we can afford without stuffing up the rest of the playing lists potential earnings and contracts and if the Scum top this and Daisy goes to for the $$$..then so be it.......All will not be lost......as my 9 year old son has said... we have another Thomas now that could take over the #13 and be the nw face of Thommo's 13 Junior Membership Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: