Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Woody Allen: separating the artist from the individual

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

think positive wrote:
how quickly you rush to the defence of someone because he is "smart"

and the holocaust didn't happen either

What on earth are you on about with both lines & who are you talking to. Rolling Eyes

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:15 pm

David wrote:
Er, is that directed at me, or WPT? Neither of us are rubbishing Dylan's claims. We're just aware that there are many twists and turns to this story, particularly given some of Mia Farrow's behaviour.

From the article I posted above:

Quote:
In the midst of the proceedings, on February 2, 1993, a revealing article appeared in the Los Angeles Times, headlined: Nanny Casts Doubt on Farrow Charges, in which former nanny Monica Thompson (whose salary was paid by Allen, since three of the brood were also his) swore in a deposition to Allens attorneys that she was pressured by Farrow to support the molestation charges, and the pressure led her to resign her position. Thompson had this to say about the videotape: I know that the tape was made over the course of at least two and perhaps three days. I recall Ms. Farrow saying to Dylan at that time, Dylan, what did daddy do and what did he do next? Dylan appeared not to be interested, and Ms. Farrow would stop taping for a while and then continue.

Quote:
Judge Wilk would ultimately grant Mia custody of Satchel and Dylan. 15-year-old Moses chose not to see Woody, which was his right. It was a hard-won victory for Mia who returned home with eight of her nine children intact.

[...]

Moses Farrow, now 36, and an accomplished photographer, has been estranged from Mia for several years. During a recent conversation, he spoke of finally seeing the reality of Frog Hollow and used the term brainwashing without hesitation. He recently reestablished contact with Allen and is currently enjoying a renewed relationship with him and Soon-Yi.

Just as Allen is entitled to a presumption of innocence, it would be wrong to use these claims (which may have their own motivations) to discredit Farrow or accuse her outright of manipulating her daughter. To be honest, I'm more inclined to believe her than I am Allen, and much more likely to believe Dylan. But I'm not a judge, and I haven't seen the evidence, so I understand that my opinion here is no more relevant than my opinion on the Higgs boson particle or the finer points of the Australian constitution. I don't think any of us have enough data to convict Allen from afar.

Absolutely. That's what makes these allegations quite unfair for all concerned. However, the timing of the issue raised by Mia Farrow after her hurt of losing Allen & her (barely) adult adopted daughter Soon Yi at the time when they were first raised, put doubt as to their authenticity & veracity. I recall that quite clearly. I'm not saying they are my views but they current at the time.

Another twist in the tail is that Allen & Soon Yi are still together.

None of us know what occurred if anything did occur. the truth of the matter was that there was no evidence of any wrongdoing in legal or sexual terms.

(I wonder if any repressed memory therapist played a role here?)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:55 pm

Installment one of Allen's response:

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/celebrity/woody-allen-hits-back-at-disgraceful-sex-abuse-claims-by-dylan-farrow-20140203-31wde.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:57 pm

Oh a web page.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:20 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-03/woody-allen-rejects-dylan-farrow-abuse-claims/5234088

From the ABC website:

"....The experts concluded there was no credible evidence of molestation, that Dylan Farrow had an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality, and that Dylan Farrow had likely been coached by her mother Mia Farrow," Ms Dart said....."

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:28 pm

I've never been a fan of Woody Allen as an artist and have no opinion of him as a human being.

I do however, think that being a successful "artist" should be no excuse for behaviour that would not be accepted from normal people.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:25 pm

And yet Mel Gibson was pretty much ran out of the industry.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Can you provide any evidence for that, Wokko? Considering Gibson I think still owns his own production house (Icon), I'm sure he could be making and acting in films if he chose to. If he has been blacklisted, then I of course totally oppose that, but I'd like to see some facts supporting that claim before acknowledging that there's any kind of double standard at work here. (Not that it would surprise me. Hollywood is full of hacks and hypocrites.)

stui magpie wrote:
I do however, think that being a successful "artist" should be no excuse for behaviour that would not be accepted from normal people.

I expect you'll find no disagreement in these pages.

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:34 am

One thing I don't get is why people elsewhere on the web are accusing Nicholas Kristof (the guy who published Dylan's letter) of having a conflict of interest because of his friendship with Mia Farrow, while others have looked suspiciously on Robert Weide for his commercial connection to Allen (he directed a recent documentary about him). Who cares what conflict of interest they have? Dylan Farrow was surely entitled to write her testimony through whatever channel she could find; why not through a family friend? And it makes total sense that the first person to stick up for Woody Allen would be an associate. I don't see how that makes his defence any less worthy than a supposedly 'neutral' observer. These people aren't journalists; nobody ever said they had to be objective.

Last edited by David on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 am

I care, otherwise I would not have typed it all in.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 am

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/04/20/career-kaput-has-mel-gibson-finally-used-up-all-his-hollywood-lifelines/

Only reason he can do anything is because he's got the money to do it himself. So angry ranting about Jews = blacklisting. Raping children = awards & lauding from your peers (Polanski if you want to presume Allen innocent). Also a seven year old is well equipped to remember things like that, I hate that children and their testimony are dismissed so readily.
David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:08 am

I had a quick look at Mel Gibson's Wikipedia page this morning and came across the story of his cameo in The Hangover Part 2 being cancelled after protests from cast and crew an odd double standard given (convicted rapist) Mike Tyson's painfully awkward 'acting' role in the first film. So, yes, it does seem like a weird case of hypocrisy.

Re: Dylan's claims, people are generally treading pretty lightly here, but I too would be disappointed if her experience was being dismissed because she was "just a kid" back then. A 7-year-old is more than capable of forming memories that can stay with them for the rest of their lives. However, people should know that even adults can have highly unreliable memories, to the point of creating them altogether. Coincidentally, I'm actually writing a piece on this very topic right now for The Conversation based on some soon-to-be-released scientific researchit's actually quite shocking how flexible our memories can be. While Dylan at the very least deserves the benefit of the doubt, we cannot accept her piece as a guilty verdict for Allen.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 am

Wokko wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/04/20/career-kaput-has-mel-gibson-finally-used-up-all-his-hollywood-lifelines/

Only reason he can do anything is because he's got the money to do it himself. ... .....

So your assertion then is wrong by your own words.

He was not blacklisted despite your claim

Then you use a flimsy piece from a part of fox news to back up your assertion dated 2012. Rolling Eyes

Then you say he has enough of his own money to produce his films (through Hollywood).

In other words an inherent contradiction in your argument.

Was he or was he not blacklisted as you claim?

Christopher Hitchens wanted him blacklisted & punished not for being the extremist looney right winger that he is, not for being the nasty anti-semite that he is (His father is a holocaust denier from way back & the son has not fallen far from the tree) but for his serious errors & misrepresentations of Scottish history in his film Braveheart & his extremist right wing fundamentalist views on Christianity:

Hitchens on Gibson in the Slate (2010 - when Hitchens was alive)

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2010/07/mel_gibson_isnt_just_an_angry_narcissist.html

".. Why is there this reluctance to call something by its right name? It's not as if Gibson was issuing a cry for help. On the contrary, what he is issuing is the distilled violence, cruelty, and bigotryand sexual hypocrisythat stretches from the Crusades through the Inquisition to the "concordats" between the church and Hitler and Mussolini..."

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:06 am

watt price tully wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Only reason he can do anything is because he's got the money to do it himself. ... .....

So your assertion then is wrong by your own words.

He was not blacklisted despite your claim

Then you use a flimsy piece from a part of fox news to back up your assertion dated 2012. Rolling Eyes

Then you say he has enough of his own money to produce his films (through Hollywood).

In other words an inherent contradiction in your argument.

Was he or was he not blacklisted as you claim?

Christopher Hitchens wanted him blacklisted & punished not for being the extremist looney right winger that he is, not for being the nasty anti-semite that he is (His father is a holocaust denier from way back & the son has not fallen far from the tree) but for his serious errors & misrepresentations of Scottish history in his film Braveheart & his extremist right wing fundamentalist views on Christianity:

Hitchens on Gibson in the Slate (2010 - when Hitchens was alive)

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2010/07/mel_gibson_isnt_just_an_angry_narcissist.html

".. Why is there this reluctance to call something by its right name? It's not as if Gibson was issuing a cry for help. On the contrary, what he is issuing is the distilled violence, cruelty, and bigotryand sexual hypocrisythat stretches from the Crusades through the Inquisition to the "concordats" between the church and Hitler and Mussolini..."

Quote:
Over the weekend while Robert Downey Jr. was on stage accepting an American Cinematheque Award in Beverly Hills, the actor focused some of his speech on Mel Gibson, asking Hollywood to forgive him. He said;

Unless you are without sin -- and if you are, you are in the wrong [expletive] industry -- you should forgive him and let him work.

Downey went on to say that when he was struggling with substance abuse issues that it was Mel that helped him get through that dark time and that Gibson was the one person that didnt turn his back on Robert. He said;

He taught my many things, and I will use the 'C' word courage. There's nothing so much wrong with him. Of course you have to worry about the guy making the judgment here. He's a good dude with a good heart. Mel and I have the same lawyer, same publicist, and same shrink. I couldn't get hired and he cast me. He said if I accepted responsibility -- he called it hugging the cactus -- long enough, my life would take meaning. And if he helped me, I would help the next guy. But it was not reasonable to expect the next guy would be him."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAJuynxnTQ

He's managed to make some films because he is wealthy enough, and has a few friends left. Gibson is a great actor and director, one of the best but can barely get a gig. He's been blacklisted but is powerful and wealthy enough to be somewhat self sufficient. The guy who played Jesus in Passion of the Christ hasn't been quite so lucky.

Quote:
In 2004, Caviezel portrayed Jesus Christ in Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ. During filming, he was struck by lightning, accidentally scourged, dislocated his shoulder, and suffered pneumonia and hypothermia.[10] Prior to filming, Gibson reportedly warned Caviezel that playing Jesus would hurt his acting career. In 2011, he admitted that good roles had been hard to come by ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Caviezel
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:15 am

^ & I'm sure he helps little old ladies cross the road.

That is beside the many points as you well know.

He was great in Gallipoli too Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: